MGExp

Vendor Market

Acme Speed Shop DIY Engine Rebuilding Kits. Tons of parts evaluations, and engine rebuilding tips, RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. Enjoy, and thank you for your continued support.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

In reply to # 3654573 by bc1997 Hap it sure is nice to know that somebody with your knowledge has a shop so close by. I am new to the site and to the 69 MGB that I have. my first question, I want to convert to a spin on oil filter. do you carry them or would you recommend a place to order one, also what oil do you recommend for these cars.

What engine?

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
In reply to # 3656686 by Speedracer
In reply to # 3654573 by bc1997 Hap it sure is nice to know that somebody with your knowledge has a shop so close by. I am new to the site and to the 69 MGB that I have. my first question, I want to convert to a spin on oil filter. do you carry them or would you recommend a place to order one, also what oil do you recommend for these cars.

What engine?

4 cylinder 1800 cc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brian, this is what I used on my 67 several years ago. https://mossmotors.com/mgb/engine-performance/adaptor-spin-on-oil-filter-1

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 04:53 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Hap,

I just removed the engine. Will mount it on a stand tomorrow. I took a picture of the block to see if you know what block this is. The 64 in the picture does this mean it is a 64 block?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Fred

Attachments:
IMG_1289.JPG    49.7 KB
IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG    42.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
Fred-
I don't mean to cut in on Hap's territory, but your 12H1365 engine block was cast August 13, 1964. It's for an early five-main-bearing 18GB engine, first introduced on the production line during October of 1964. If you can post an image of the aluminum engine number plate it can be narrowed down further.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
The aluminum engine tag is gone.

I just want to know if this is a good block to build into a street performance engine.

Thanks

Fred

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
Fred-
There were three different series of engine block casting designs that were sequentially-employed for the five-main-bearing engine. Yours is from the first series. The last of the series, the 12H3508 engine block casting, used bolted main bearing caps which were stronger. Builders of highly-stressed race engine seem to prefer them. As for the suitability of yours for high-performance modification, it really depends on just how much performance you want to squeeze out of it. In any case, you should always have any engine block casting magnafluxed and crack-inspected before committing yourself.

You never realize how much stuff you have, until you move.

In reply to # 3660239 by FreddieV The aluminum engine tag is gone.

I just want to know if this is a good block to build into a street performance engine.

Thanks

Fred

Yes it is fine for any level of performance street engine. let me know when you get ready to tear it down, and build it, I can help.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
The tear down starts tomorrow.

Thanks

Fred

In reply to # 3660859 by FreddieV The tear down starts tomorrow.

Thanks

Fred

I have documents that will aid you during this stage of the rebuild, you can email @ hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
Hi Hap,

Long time listener, first time caller.......

Wanted to see if you could answer two quick questions for me:

1. Is the engine on my 1971 MG Midget (It’s a 1275 with emissions control) in its current state a candidate for your rebuild kits, and

2. Could a person with a village-idiot level of mechanical ability do this himself (I haven’t done anything more complex than replace spark plugs)?

There are high resolution pictures available on my flickr site: https://flic.kr/s/aHskzFLBAP (the pictures of the engine are at the very beginning and towards the end)

From what I‘ve been told, the engine hasn’t run in over 2 decades. The original owner parked it because of an oil leak, then sold it to a local garage two years ago. He thought it was a head gasket leak and took off the cylinder head, and then lost interest. Car sat outside all winter after which I bought it. There is some rust on the cylinder walls. Got a box of (supposedly) all the parts that were taken off the engine in order to remove the head.

Got a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum and the car is pretty much the way it came out of the factory in 1971. Would like to keep the engine if possible. I’m looking to restore the car and the engine to a drivable condition with maybe some upgrades (still deciding on which one).

So, what do you think?

Attachments:
DSCN0476.JPG    54.6 KB
DSCN0476.JPG

IMG_3180.jpg    55.6 KB
DSCN0477.JPG    53.4 KB
In reply to # 3662357 by 71Dwerg Hi Hap,

Long time listener, first time caller.......

Wanted to see if you could answer two quick questions for me:

1. Is the engine on my 1971 MG Midget (It’s a 1275 with emissions control) in its current state a candidate for your rebuild kits, and

2. Could a person with a village-idiot level of mechanical ability do this himself (I haven’t done anything more complex than replace spark plugs)?

There are high resolution pictures available on my flickr site: https://flic.kr/s/aHskzFLBAP (the pictures of the engine are at the very beginning and towards the end)

From what I‘ve been told, the engine hasn’t run in over 2 decades. The original owner parked it because of an oil leak, then sold it to a local garage two years ago. He thought it was a head gasket leak and took off the cylinder head, and then lost interest. Car sat outside all winter after which I bought it. There is some rust on the cylinder walls. Got a box of (supposedly) all the parts that were taken off the engine in order to remove the head.

Got a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum and the car is pretty much the way it came out of the factory in 1971. Would like to keep the engine if possible. I’m looking to restore the car and the engine to a drivable condition with maybe some upgrades (still deciding on which one).

So, what do you think?

1. Yes

2. LOL, well that depends on you, and your desire to learn, if you like to learn, pay close attention to detail, then sure why not. I not only sell you the parts, but take you down a path to disassembly, and inspection, interfacing with your local machine shop, cleaning parts, and prepping them, as well assembly, and initial start up, either the machine shop, or we can do the cylinder head depending on what you you want done to it. I have worked with guys who have never rebuilt an engine in their lives, so if you are game, I am willing to help, and guide you from beginning to the end of the build.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
Great! Bought the car with the intent of making it a learning experience. Figured I could screw up royally and still find parts / experts to bail me out, so I'll definitely give it a try. Almost done stripping the car. Hope to get the peripherals in the engine bay removed in the next few weeks. I'll give you a call when I'm ready to start pulling the engine out..

In reply to # 3663816 by 71Dwerg Great! Bought the car with the intent of making it a learning experience. Figured I could screw up royally and still find parts / experts to bail me out, so I'll definitely give it a try. Almost done stripping the car. Hope to get the peripherals in the engine bay removed in the next few weeks. I'll give you a call when I'm ready to start pulling the engine out..

Yep for sure contact me before you disassemble the engine, I have published documents that will aid thru that stage. It sounds like you have the right attitude about this car and learning how to get back to good shape, good for you, I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster