Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

djmorris Avatar
djmorris Dave Morris
Calgary, Canada   CAN
If anyone has an article they would like to submit for consideration for "Moss Motoring", please let me know and I can forward it on. You could get a $500 Moss gift certificate, details are in the e-mail copied in below. This might be a great opportunity for folks who have previously submitted articles for the newsletter.

===============================================<Snip>===============================================

Subject: Looking for Hemingway
Date: September 17, 2015 4:02:46 PM MDT

It makes me a little sick in my stomach to say it, but, winter is coming.

“Huh?” you say.

It seems premature, but the reality for me is, the editorial calendar for Moss Motoring says the January issue needs loving attention already. At least Christmas songs aren’t playing in stores yet.

So I had a thought the other day about how wintertime is the best time for bundling up, getting comfy and reading. With this in mind I got inspired. I want to put in our handful of pages the finest collection of words I possibly can. This thought was followed by: “I’d love to see what’s out there. I should ask newsletter editors to send me their all-time favorite stories from their clubs.”

I want to have some fun with this and I’m going to stretch my budget a bit to do it. Here’s my idea:

I’m going to award a $500 Moss gift certificate to the author of the “best” (of my choosing) story/article in the next magazine. (The usual “thank you” token is $200 for a full length story/article.)

ALSO, for the editor who sends in the winning story/article (whether it’s their own work or from a club member), I am going to send them a $200 Moss gift certificate to give away to a club member who submits the “best” (of the editor’s choosing) material to fill their newsletter pages.

Just like summer my deadline is going to fly by. I need to have stories/articles by Oct. 5, so that I can do my editorish stuff to the ones I decide to run with.

What I’m looking for:
1. It could be anything. Fiction or non-fiction, technical in nature or more personal. It could be humorous, serious, mysterious, cantankerous, adventurous or misadventurous. Obviously it has to have something to do with this British hobby of ours, and I’d like it to have heart, too.

2. Word count: 1000 to 2000 words. It’s easier for me to work with more words than less. Please don’t send novels, though.

3. Good photos help a lot, but if the story can hold its own I could consider going without. (The art director is going to kill me if he reads that…) Good photos = clear, digital (scanned), high-res (around 1MB in size is fantastic), and I prefer that they include people in them

4. The story could have already been written and in your publication; it doesn’t have to be brand new. The wire wheel doesn’t need reinventing, but it would be wise to let author of a story know you want to submit their work. He or she may want to look at it again with fresh eyes and tweak it for the Moss Motoring readers (there are about 100,000 of them, btw).

The Small Print:
1. If a story comes a club member, please have them make note of the club they are in and the editor or contact person who steered them my way. I want to give your club credit as best I can—especially if the $200 Moss gift certificate is coming your club’s way.

2. I cannot guarantee anyone space in the magazine or wealth or fame.

3. If a story is submitted it may end up in the January issue or it may find its way into another issue later on. Any author’s story that gets published in print will be given a thank you Moss gift certificate of up to $200 (less if the story is a one-pager). Submitted stories may also be posted on mossmotoring.com, but I can’t give away gift certificates for those unfortunately.

Time to wrap up this beast of an email…
I can answer questions from club newsletter editors if they have them, but if you forward this email to members of your club (which you are more than welcome to do) I can’t answer questions from everyone else. I’m just too slow a typist.

I hope this message lights up memories of stories you’ve read, perhaps several! Perhaps the best thing about these stories is spend time with those characters in your club. Written words can be wonderfully revealing, entertaining and wise. They can reflect our best selves. The warmth of great stories may be just what we need come January.

Thanks ever so much!

David Stuursma
Moss Motoring Editor

P.S. Knowing that not all clubs necessarily have editors or newsletters, I’ve also included other club contacts who may have people come to mind while reading this email.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster