AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mulpha Avatar
mulpha Gold Member Terrence Walters
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Shirley"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "Dorothy"
Calgary clubsters...

I thought I'd open this thread for our garage / workshop days, 3rd Saturday of each month.

First off, thanks again for the help in March taking off Dorothy's head! I was delayed a couple weeks getting it into D&W for a strip and inspect, and they've been busy as well so it will still be a couple of weeks before I have her back on the road.

I had to miss the last club meeting so I'm not sure whether there's been any Saturday garage days, but I haven't seen any mention of them on the website or in emails. I also realize that not everyone in the club uses MGExperience

As much as I'm busy with work, renos, a 7month preggo wife, etc... I love gettin' dirty, learning and helping! Count me in if at all possible if any of you need extra hands.

Perhaps this thread can be used as an open forum for any planned work. Post your thoughts, dates and dreams!
Cheers!
Terrence

http://www.terrencewalters.com/wordpress/74mgb/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
B in the Glen Avatar
B in the Glen Dwayne Schellenberg
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1972 MG MGB
Terrence and other Clubsters!

It was a great experience to partake in the "execution"! I'm hoping that the Members Helping Members will really take off as there are always tips and tricks to pick up, not to mention the value of Timmy's goodies with good friends! Last month MHM was to be at my place but the posting kinda went south, so I was left to my own devices having a "shocking " experience......thanks to Peter Caldwell not Lord Lucas! MHM has been postponed for this month due to the long weekend and the fast approaching BrisBest Classics in Radium. We have a lot planned for the MHM in the months coming up so keep your ear to the ground for more info. We are also looking forward to our BBQ and SVAA Vehicle Inspection on the 27th with our invited guests from the VSCC.

Cheers,
Dwayne

mulpha Avatar
A bunch of renos in prep for the impending rug-runner is now complete.
Still haven't got Dorothy's head back from D&W so I'll have to harass them... don't want to miss much of this nice weather we're starting to have!

I'm still available most Saturdays if anyone needs help.
I'll let y'all know if/when I use "the gurus" again.

Cheers,
Terrence

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mulpha Avatar
Dorothy's still "headless".

Anyone need an extra set of hands this Saturday?...

- Terrence

mulpha Avatar
A few of us were lured by the invitation of donuts and coffee....

Pics posted: https://picasaweb.google.com/Calgary.MG.Photos/MembersHelpingMembersHoltzLift#
We got the heavy stuff done within a couple of hours. Now Mike gets to interpret manuals and tackle the cables and power.

Good times!
T.

mulpha Avatar
Thought I'd post a note and some pics from Dwayne's MHM day....
Here's the note he sent... I'll update this post with pics later today.

"Hi guys!
Well finally buttoned it up tonite. As some of you know, when the new parts were installed on the drivers side, the camber was still at -3/4*. The passenger side was right on the spec of + 1*. There was a lot of head scratching going on. Everything looked good, I couldn't see any deformation (possible collision prior to my ownership) in any area like the cross member etc. So I got a tad aggressive with it....pulled the spring, pan and arms. I welded the holes shut for the bottom trunion bolt and redrilled them 1/4" closer to the center effectively shortening the arms. Reassembly was a sheer delight (not). I had the same problem Azim had with his front spring. Something hung up in the upper spring mount and when I set the car back down on the tire it had the worst case of bachelor lean you ever wanted to see. Driver side was about 3/4" high! So I dismantled the trunnion and gave the spring a half turn and reassembled it. Now when I set the car down, bachelor lean was gone and the camber was + 3/4*! WOW! It's not the 1 degree I wanted but it is certainly acceptable. Toe in had to be reduced well over 1/2" to give me the +- 1/8" toe in. I will continue to try and find out why the new parts didn't change the angle. Just got back from the test drive and am very pleased. The steering seems a lot lighter and nimble but not twitchy. Went over some RR tracks and some rumble strips and it felt solid ( sounded a lot better too) must have had something to do with the missing .025" end play and the .017" side play.
Soooo, again I want to thank all of you for coming out. I hope you all enjoyed the get together and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Dwayne"

mulpha Avatar
...pics added for Dwayne's king pin job. Sorry for the delay.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Calgary.MG.Photos/2013MembersHelpingMembersDwayneSKingPin

Please feel free to add comments to any of the pics!

A few of them will end up on the official "MacGyver" thread...soon....

Cheers,
Terrence

mulpha Avatar
Anyone available this Sunday April 13th? Thought I'd take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances. First time doing it myself so if anyone wants to hold my hand or laugh at me, let me know.... Plan is to get "Dorothy" (MGB) started up - I've got a couple of older timing lights that need to be tested.

Also, if time permits, make a trip down to Bonavista area where "Shirley" (MGA) is parked. Need to strip some more parts off of her and perhaps try manually cranking her to check whether she's seized.

Reply here or my cell: 607-1914
Thx!
T.

B in the Glen Avatar
1972 MG MGB
Hey Terrence........ what time were you planning on getting started?
Dwayne

mulpha Avatar
I'm flexible, but was thinking 9am.

B in the Glen Avatar
1972 MG MGB
The brgmgb man and I wiil be there around 9 Anything we need to bring?

mulpha Avatar
Cheerleaders would sweet... a little too cold though. Nah, I'm good for tools - even have one of them fancy ClikAdjust tools from my uncle's collection.

I'll brew some black-gold and grab some "breakfast cake" as well.

Thx!
Call/txt my BlackBerry at 607-1914 if you need directions.

mulpha Avatar
Might spend a couple hours working on Shirley (1960 MGA) this Sunday morning.
Reply here or contact me directly if you care to stand around and laugh at me....
smiling smiley

Terrence

mulpha Avatar
I'll be working on Shirley (MGA) this Sat morning. If anyone cares to see her, or help me gut more of the interior or get the fenders off, let me know - call my cell. I'll grab some donuts but BYOC and wear warm shoes etc since the garage isn't heated.

Show up anytime after 9am.
I'll let you know the address when you contact me.

Thx!
Terrence
BB: 403.607.1914

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-17 09:33 AM by mulpha.

mulpha Avatar
Not sure how many are going to see this in the next 20 hours, but I'm heading down to Acadia area to work on my MGA Saturday morning.

I'm continuing with tear-down (fenders are off!) so still stripping some interior and whatever needs to get done so I can deal with the repairing the body.

Since it's at the previous owner's, not my place, there's a Tim's 5 minutes away if needed. Garage is not heated (supposed to warm up to 11C, but not likely before noon) and the car is dirty so bring warm boots and coveralls if you got'em!
No need to get dirty though - if you just want to drop by or hang out and chat, that's cool too.

If can join me between 9am-noon, call or text me 403smiling smiley607smiling smiley1914 for the address.
Cheers,
Terrence

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster