AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mrkenmgb Avatar
mrkenmgb Ken DeLEEUW
Ormond Beach, Florida, USA   USA
1996 MG MGF "Green Machine"
Looking to replace all my tires. I am having a hard time finding a matching set with the size difference of the front and back. I can find the same brand, but the tire pattern is different. The front and the spare are 185/55/15 the rear 205/50/15. How important is it to have the different sizes? I can get 195/55/15 all around, would this be a bad thing? My tires are from 2007 so it is time to change!
Ken

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
Yokohama S.Drive are available in the two sizes needed by the MGF. According to tirerack.com there are a couple Kuhmo's also available in the appropriate sizes.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&frontWidth=205/&frontRatio=50&frontDiameter=15&rearWidth=185/&rearRatio=55&rearDiameter=15

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

mrkenmgb Avatar
mrkenmgb Ken DeLEEUW
Hi Mark
The Kumho tires I have been told about is ECSTA PA31 I'll check into the PS31,
Thanks Ken

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mrkenmgb Avatar
mrkenmgb Ken DeLEEUW
Went to a local tire company, and he is recommending the PA 31. I am getting all the tires replaced including the spare so 3) 185 55r15 and 2) 205/50r15 $450.00 out the door. These tires have the same tread pattern. More of a road tire and not a racing tire.
Ken

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich in Vancouver Rich McKie
Sunny South Surrey, B.C., Canada   CAN
1997 MG MGF "VVC"
I have Toyo Proxes on my F and have been very happy with them. That said it has been 5 years now so I have no idea if they are still available.
I think I will get one more year out of the Toyos then it will be replacement time. I like the sound of the Yokohamas. smiling smiley

I have Kumho snows for the F, all 195's and have been very happy with them. I'm not using them anymore s if any of the BC F'ers need a set of snows
mounted on MGF wheels, and 75% or so life left in them for a good price please contact me.

Modern MGs aren't just Transportation, They're a Hobby!

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
John Stevenson has mentioned to me that he puts, or has put, the same size tire front and rear.

Locally, I can't get Toyo Proxes in the right sizes for whatever reason. We have Yokohama S.Drive on both of our Fs and I am very happy with their performance in the wet and their wear rate. The S.Drives on my F were installed in 2012 and have about 20,000 miles on them. One of the front tires has some wear on the inside edge of the tread, but otherwise they are wearing evenly.

Rich, I wonder if Jim Sweeney would be interested in your winter tires. I wonder what shipping to the Niagara area would be?

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

mrkenmgb Avatar
mrkenmgb Ken DeLEEUW
I see where some with 16 " use the same size.
Ken

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich in Vancouver Rich McKie
Sunny South Surrey, B.C., Canada   CAN
1997 MG MGF "VVC"
In reply to # 3641902 by Mark Jones John Stevenson has mentioned to me that he puts, or has put, the same size tire front and rear.

Locally, I can't get Toyo Proxes in the right sizes for whatever reason. We have Yokohama S.Drive on both of our Fs and I am very happy with their performance in the wet and their wear rate. The S.Drives on my F were installed in 2012 and have about 20,000 miles on them. One of the front tires has some wear on the inside edge of the tread, but otherwise they are wearing evenly.

Rich, I wonder if Jim Sweeney would be interested in your winter tires. I wonder what shipping to the Niagara area would be?

Honestly I'm really not interested in shipping them, and I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping so it will have to be someone in BC.

Modern MGs aren't just Transportation, They're a Hobby!

jsweeney Avatar
jsweeney Jim Sweeney
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
1995 MG MGF
Thanks for thinking of me Mark but I bought a set of snows last winter - 195's all around and they seemed to work OK. Haven't put them on this season yet.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster