MGF Clutch Replacement

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RV8-1083 Richard Leonhardt
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Can anyone give me a few pointers on replacing the clutch in my 1998 MGF 1.8i? For example:
- Does the whole engine and subframe have to be dropped out of the rear of the car or can the job be done as the workshop manual suggests by extracting the gearbox between the body and the subframe?
- Can the job be done without using a 2 post hoist? I have a four post hoist.
- What other work is wise to do while the gearbox is split from the engine?
Any advice from someone who has done a clutch replacement would be appreciated.
Regards,
Rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
Hi Richard,

I haven't done this job but there is a good write-up here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/mgf-mgtf-sponsored-mgfntfbitz-12/how-replace-clutch-flywheel-picture-heavy-254468/ which also refers to: http://www.mgfcar.de/gearbox/clutch_replacement_MGF.htm

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich in Vancouver Rich McKie
Sunny South Surrey, B.C., Canada   CAN
1997 MG MGF "VVC"
I understand it can be done without pulling the engine and gearbox but it is very tight.

Modern MGs aren't just Transportation, They're a Hobby!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thanks guys for your responses. The Write up pointed to by Mark was helpful, even if the photos did not come through because they were no longer available on the link.
I have started the job and earlier today had a reply to questions that I put to Roger Parker of the MG Owners' Club in the UK. He has written a very good book on the modern MG/ MGTF which our club has a copy of ion it's library, but this job is not expalined as such in it. He has however given me a great pictorial and wrtiten run down of the job, which if taken in conjunction with the workshop manual, shows how the job can be done without dropping the engine and sub-frame from the car. If anyone wants a copy of his email to me I can arrange if I get their email address.
I have started the job and tomorrow get into it properly. Wish me luck!
Rick

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich in Vancouver Rich McKie
Sunny South Surrey, B.C., Canada   CAN
1997 MG MGF "VVC"
LUCK! smileys with beer

Modern MGs aren't just Transportation, They're a Hobby!

miccon Avatar
miccon Mike Connolley
Millet, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1951 MG TD
1979 MG MGB
1980 MG MGB
1995 MG MGF    & more
In reply to # 3300471 by Rich in Vancouver LUCK! smileys with beer
X 2 and be very careful
The box is heavy, make sure it is well supported.

Take pics if you can

Driving an MG is a life changing Experience....... Every Time

Canadian Modern MG Rover Car Club - www.cmmgrcc.org Check out the New World

Edmonton Classic Sports Car Club... Hood Down on the Prairies

Swindal74 Darrell Edwards
Highworth, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
Hi, my clutch has just gone and so need a good walk through before I attack it myself. My email address is darrell_edwards@rocketmail.com.

Sevenmilesout Phil Oldham
MONTPELLIER, Herault, France   FRA
Hi Richard,

Greetings from France.

I would really appreciate a copy of the write up. My e-mail address is sevenmilesout@gmail.com

Kind regards

Phil

MGF Xander Alex Att
M'Xlokk, Southern Province, Malta   MLT
I will be replacing the clutch in the near future, so I appreciate a copy too, sachaattard@gmail.com

I am sorry but I have misplaced the excellent description of the clutch job which Roger Parker of the MG Owners' Club UK gave me.
A great pity, but perhaps if you contact him he will repeat the information to you.
Regards,
Rick

Sevenmilesout Phil Oldham
MONTPELLIER, Herault, France   FRA
Thanks Rick

MGF Xander Alex Att
M'Xlokk, Southern Province, Malta   MLT
Thanks Rick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster