MGExp

Modern MGs Forum

What did you do with your Modern MG today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Simon Austin Avatar
Interesting conundrum, Mark.

Does the idea of a restoration project outweigh the fun of MGF ownership? You can always buy another MGF.

That's how I felt when I sold the RV8.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jsweeney Avatar
jsweeney Jim Sweeney
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
1995 MG MGF
Or, you could 'spit' out something else . . .

BTW, the alternator was delivered on Monday - one day late

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
Sort of. This BGT doesn't need bodywork and is useable as is. Would restore as I drove it.

In reply to # 3497675 by Simon Austin Interesting conundrum, Mark.

Does the idea of a restoration project outweigh the fun of MGF ownership? You can always buy another MGF.

That's how I felt when I sold the RV8.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Sounds like that comment belongs on the "Pro" side of the Pros/Cons list, Mark. thumbs up

I doubt anyone here will try and talk you out of it. I know I won't....

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich in Vancouver Rich McKie
Sunny South Surrey, B.C., Canada   CAN
1997 MG MGF "VVC"
There are pros to (most) any MG project.

My 72 GT is one of those cars I never should have sold so I can relate.

Modern MGs aren't just Transportation, They're a Hobby!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 02:16 PM by Rich in Vancouver.

oily-hands Avatar
oily-hands Owen Frankland
Stockton on Tees, Cleveland, UK   GBR
1937 MG TA "Numbum"
1971 MG MGB GT "The Bruise"
We went bug catching at the weekend. Younger daughter and elder daughter's husband were running the Edinburgh marathon so we went up in the MG3 to show support.

Lovely B&B. The house was built in 1643. Thankfully the plumbing was updated since. grinning smiley

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Take the time to understand what a part does and how it does it, then you'll have a better understanding of how to fix it when it goes wrong. Beats the scattergun approach every time.

Ignition testing made easy.

Making your MGB handbrake work

My You Tube Channel

Life with an MG TA and an MGB GT in the UK.

Our charity drive in our 1937 MGTA

Attachments:
WP_20170529_15_44_43_Pro.jpg    19.8 KB
WP_20170529_15_44_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20170527_14_26_18_Pro.jpg    39.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Neallew Avatar
Neallew Gold Member Neal Lewis
swansea, wales, UK   GBR
Actually did it last week - Did oil and filter change on my very recently acquired Mk1 MG Metro... Body work has been previously restored and repainted - engine bay is showing its age including the air filter hoses. Interior is pretty good but structure of drivers seat knows its done 112k mileage....

Oil hadnt been changed for probably over 2 years as previous owner had only driven it about 750 miles a year. Waiting on some other service parts including rear shoes + wheel cylinders as 1 is leaking. Will be my first time bleeding brakes... will change brake fluid at same time as no idea when last time done.....That will be a recurring theme as i work thru the car service stuff.... At least it has 4 brand new tires and a new battery... Replacement graphics for the car look like they will be pricey to get right... only found one place to do them so far - not found any nos stock...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 10:15 AM by Neallew.

Mark Jones Avatar
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
Mk1, nice find Neal.

I too did an oil change on my MGF; getting it ready to go into winter storage tomorrow.

I'm off today to pick up 6 modified spheres from my welder and drop 8 more off for bung attachment.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

Mark Jones Avatar
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
Not me, but my wife drove the F to work today. +1C at the moment, supposed to get up to 6C today and sunny; a good day to drive the F, maybe the last drive for the season.

Neallew Avatar
Neallew Gold Member Neal Lewis
swansea, wales, UK   GBR
Changed rear brake cylinders , brake shoes - bled system. inspected underneath for rust - found 2 patches on floor pan to wire brush and reseal - as under-seal peeling off - gonna be awkward to get at - under-seal was probably thin...

next job get suspension pumped up and fit headlight relays so i can get the hella grill driving lights wired up - previous owner never wired them in...

Attachments:
AhVINZgNplozaxSWGVVu.jpg    4.6 KB
AhVINZgNplozaxSWGVVu.jpg

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich in Vancouver Rich McKie
Sunny South Surrey, B.C., Canada   CAN
1997 MG MGF "VVC"
I hate stripping undercoat! angry smiley Many years ago I spent two long weeks under a 1952 Cadillac with a torch and wire brush stripping loads of hard old underseal.
Not fun...Not fun at all!

Modern MGs aren't just Transportation, They're a Hobby!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster