AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Cooling system mods
  This topic is about my 1969 MG MGC GT
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
I am aware of the need to remove the flashing behind the water pump for which I've loaded a couple of photos of what mine looks like for anyone interested.

My main question is that I read a post on this forum where someone said to open up the rear most drain hole. Has anyone done this and is it actually necessary and if so, by how much?

I am intending to remove the sharp corners of each drain hole to smooth out the flow but I'm rather nervous of getting too carried away with excessive drilling into the block.

I'm also showing a photo on the inside of the side plate on the LH side of the block, apart from a bit of sludge on the bottom corner, which to me also indicates there is a flow problem, there is no corrosion.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 11:14 PM by JMA.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
end drains.JPG    32.8 KB
end drains.JPG

water pump side.JPG    47.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rear view.JPG    40.6 KB
inside side plate.JPG    46.1 KB
pbriggs Paul Briggs
Colwich, KS, USA   USA
John, I'd say just clean up those edges a bit and you're good to go. It's a major restriction by casting flashing (mine had about 30% of the rear hole blocked) that everyone's worried about.

Paul
69 MGCGT #7560

JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Paul, thanks for clearing that up.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
No the best but look at rear as well, somewhere on here are better photos.

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
20130422_092223.jpg    44.9 KB
20130422_092223.jpg

20130422_092229.jpg    36.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster