Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

blt 449 roger sykes
Conroe, Texas, USA   USA
Folks
I've heard it before, but now have firsthand experience: the "Shop Manual" is a lying'n crock. What looks to be a dead simple job to replace front shocks turns out to a whole different experience. First, removal requires serious brute force to dislodge the lower end. That, and the "Reverse 1-12" actually requires opening the suspension halves. The only hint of that is their instruction to support the rear half of the suspension. I guess the "loosen all clamp bolts and torsion bar front nut and separate the suspension halves" is silent, because that's what 's required. Lacking the horsepower to loosen the torsion bar nut, I was able to (gently) drive a cold chisel between the halves just far enough to separate the halves about .1", enough to winkle in the new shock bushing. BTW, the original distance across that opening was exactly the same as the length of the distance pieces, hence the requirement for brute force in removal. No doubt I am not the first to get this T-shirt.
Cheers, Roger

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
Roger
I have extra T shirts if you want more.grinning smiley
Ron

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
....and I've got the hat when the other side gets done. winking smiley

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
You guys are NOT helping with my confidence (competence) level here!!

I have to replace all the suspension bushings in my C/GT and this is making me want to just pay someone to do it!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
romeo69 Stephen Curtis
, Berkshire, UK   GBR
i have never just done the bushing??????

m.s.macrae Silver Member Murray MacRae
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand   NZL
1968 MG MGC
1994 Subaru Impreza WRX
2000 Subaru Outback "A Bit Of A Dog"
2008 Mazda 6
Noble 66
:0
Don't worry about those bushes.
The job is a pig but take it slow and ask on here as you go.

I have a press which helps me. But you can use a vice and sockets etc or make up a tool with running thread and sockets. you will see this on you tube videos and by looking at the way the special BMC tool works.

some general thoughts
-Only do one side at a time. use lots of penetrating oil a few week before.
-Think about doing all bushes on one side not just the worst ones.
-expect it to take say 4 weekends so you can admire the nice clean metal as you paint the parts before reassembly.
-expect to have to cut out the odd bush if you don't have access to a press (actually taking the bits to your local helpful garage to use theirs is a great idea).
- Don't enter the dark world of the kingpins unless they are obviously stuffed. you will find that coming back to do them after you have had it all apart will not be the big mission the bushes were.
-use aluminium or copper anti seize on reassembly of bolts etc - on the threads and shafts.
Invite someone over to help?

The area is actually very simple and the job should be easy enough. What happens is some of the bushes have steel sleeves and tend to weld themselves into the respective positions.
When you start with that awareness you are half way there smiling smiley.

As far are the step by steps the workshop manual is not too bad but the advice on here in previous posts is valuable. a beer at the end of every session helps smileys with beer

Murray

simon58gladiator Avatar
simon58gladiator Simon Wilkinson
Colne Classics, Colchester, UK   GBR
1966 MG MGB "Harvey"
1967 Jaguar Mark 2
1969 MG MGC "Maisie"
1969 MG MGC "The Beast"    & more
Roger,
The split collar should be freed off which usually means removal of the front arm altogether so the collar can be pressed out, cleaned up and greased on refitting. This locks the bottom pin when you do the bolt up.
Any help needed on the front suspension just ask and I have plenty of pictures if needed.
Simon.

Attachments:
EF1BC52D-9213-4E0A-A79F-0EF3C1170A10.jpeg    43.1 KB
EF1BC52D-9213-4E0A-A79F-0EF3C1170A10.jpeg

chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
Gave up and put in bin. Not really !

Its a juggle as most say loosen off the lower arm and it will slide in with a bit of a push.

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
20171007_113244.jpg    54.7 KB
20171007_113244.jpg

jsrivard Avatar
jsrivard Silver Member Joel Rivard
Ramstein, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany   DEU
1968 MG MGC GT "Maggie"
Roger, you do not have to remove the front half of the lower control arm completely, just loosen all 5 of the nuts and separate the halves. Take a hammer to the bottom of lower shock mount and it will pop up and out. When fitting the new shock, fit the top first. If the new bushing is a bit wide to fit in the space available just lube it up and use a jack below the lower trunion to lift the lower arm up to align the bolt hole within the lower shock bushing.

When I rebuilt my front suspension I installed the shocks last and this is the process I used. It worked great.

Cheers,
Joel

MGC Life Blog: https://mgc.is-great.net/
MGC "how-to's" available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMf5tRcUOG0ueyizruhv5w/

Attachments:
IMG_20161017_183003.jpg    42.8 KB
IMG_20161017_183003.jpg

chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
I have larger GAZ shocks on mine and fitted ok, as before plenty of KY and undo the lower arm bolts, l prized open the two until I could get the lower bush in.

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
SAMSUNG 5 3235.jpg    39.3 KB
SAMSUNG 5 3235.jpg

blt 449 roger sykes
Conroe, Texas, USA   USA
Folks
Thanks to all for the sage advice. Once I had some separation of the halves, all went well. Shame is, I didn't know to separate BEFORE removal. One final note: the provider of the Moss shocks can get over-zealous with the paint gun: the threads on one of mine were so thoroughly paint jammed that, in spite of vigorous wire-brushing, the nut reached refusal a full 1/4" early. Ended up cleaning the threads with a dental pick and wire brush (I don't have a die set).
I guess the project for the coming winter will be full bushing R & R. Can hardly wait.
Cheers
Roger

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
Roger
A good tap and die set is worth acquiring. Glad your shocks are done.
I am doing kingpins right now and the top trunion nut can be a real bear to get off after what looks to be about 50 years of nice and tight.
The rest of the suspension bushes come out pretty easy with some all thread, large sockets, a few washers and nuts for the all thread.
If you happen to have real rusty suspension bits then all bets are off.devil smiley
Ron

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster