AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Alan V Avatar
Alan V Alan Vinegar
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGC GT "Green Hornet"
I did a quick brake inspection this past weekend and noticed my rotors are looking fairly grooved. I have been using EBC green stuff pads which I am happy with. Just wondering other peoples experiences with vented and dimpled rotors or is this excessive expense for a car that does not do track duty or serious mountains aka Swampers.

Happy thanksgiving to my Canadian friends:

Alan V.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
Alan
My vote is to spend the extra money elsewhere.
Ron

chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
Vented using jag callipers.

EBC with wilwoods.

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
20160716_123442.jpg    71 KB
20160716_123442.jpg

NAU WILWOOD.jpeg    65.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Currently working on a big brake set up for my car using 11.75" ventilated discs and Wilwood dust seal calipers.

The only reason I'm doing it as the drivers on those dash cam programmes you see from Russia have nothing on what I have to put up with driving my C here.
I try to keep a safe distance from the car in front and some idiot always fills it only to slam on their brakes to turn in front of me.

So from my point of view, good brakes aren't an option!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bowral, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC
In reply to # 3607443 by ron neal Alan
My vote is to spend the extra money elsewhere.
Ron

I agree...the standard callipers and rotors in good order and condition will lock the fronts if pushed hard...you can't ask for more than that under normal road conditions plus you Canucks have snow/salt to deal with etc etc

Mick
Southern Highlands of NSW, Australie

Bob in Vancouver Avatar
Bob in Vancouver Bob Elwin
Vancouver BC, Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC GT
Alan,
I have solid unvented discs on my MGC roadster and they work just fine for the weight of the car. My modified MGC GT (302 Ford) has the Australian DBA drilled and grooved discs with Toyota 4 pot calipers. They are somewhat noisier (due to the grooves) but the advantage seems relatively notional as they are hard to fade on mountain descents - just like the stock brakes. The originators of using the Toyota conversion in the UK did some testing and obtained shorter braking distances. The Toyota pads are significantly larger than the stock Girling items. I fitted the uprated brakes as the V8 gets you up to higher speeds very quickly and you sometimes have to retrieve the situation!
Unless you are planning on brake upgrades due to a shortcoming in the stock system or substantially improved performance, I would just replace with stock items.

Good Luck, Bob Elwin.

Whimaway36 Avatar
Whimaway36 Bill Coon
Greensborough, vic, Australia   AUS
Hi Shaun

What model Jaguar calipers are you using, sounds an interesting option

Cheers
Bill

Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC GT "California Chrome"
1969 MG MGB GT "Rat"
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1970 MG MGB GT "Widow"    & more
Solid

John Rogers
vicechairman@namgbr.net

chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
In reply to # 3607732 by Whimaway36 Hi Shaun

What model Jaguar calipers are you using, sounds an interesting option

Cheers
Bill

3 Pot but to fit you have to weld and redial the mount holes, I have nearly made a set of vented using Wilwood callipers and a one off disc from a manufacture.

Also used EBC and Alloy hubs

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
20170224_181115.jpg    41.9 KB
20170224_181115.jpg

20170224_181041.jpg    38.3 KB
2016-11-08 17.41.29-57.jpeg    45 KB
mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
Solid Brembos on my 1969. They work great.

Alan V Avatar
Alan V Alan Vinegar
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGC GT "Green Hornet"
Hey guys, Thanks for all the input. I will stick to he standard solid disks and EBC greenstuff pads. Shaun your work always amazes us. Thanks for those great pictures. Clearly that is the ultimate setup. Probably goes with rear disks, Willwood masters and in car brake proportioning valve. We will leave that mod for my fantasy MGC GTS. I do however like the Toyota caliper conversion. For now parts have been ordered. I think Ron Neal said in the second post money spent better elsewhere. My question is how he suggest I spend the money saved????? Endless possibilities when you own a British car. BTW the part number for EBC pads for the MGC is same as Capri pads DP 2291. The holes for the pins need to opened up slightly.

Cheers,

Alan smileys with beer

m.s.macrae Silver Member Murray MacRae
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand   NZL
1968 MG MGC
1994 Subaru Impreza WRX
2000 Subaru Outback "A Bit Of A Dog"
2008 Mazda 6
I think if you go for a soft compound that usually brings a more responsive brake for those sudden stops while you lose a little on fade you will get better protection from the cut and dive artists that seem to have taken over the roads smiling smiley

I have run green stuff for a while and run soft stuff in my regular cars as well. Hard compounds tend to work poor till they get some warmth in them.

only really had trouble if i drove the WRX (wifes old car) with a vengeance which despite all the light weight trim and panels would have the brakes smoking and then fading after 15 mins or so of hard hill, country driving so soft is best most of the time. IMHO.

As some one who rode bikes for a decade in my youth, drilling, slots etc help a bit with water clearance, but good brake habits ie clearing the rotors with a dab prior to actually needing them is just as effective,

I realize my advice has started to get boring since i turned 60. What is that??

eye rolling smiley

Bowral, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC
In reply to # 3608025 by Alan V My question is how he suggest I spend the money saved????? Endless possibilities when you own a British car. BTW the part number for EBC pads for the MGC is same as Capri pads DP 2291. The holes for the pins need to opened up slightly.

Cheers,

Alan smileys with beer

I would think about a romantic dinner, flowers or some other activity or purchase that your partner can be pleasantly surprised by winking smiley

[mainly, to ensure the free flow of dollars in the future]

Mick
Southern Highlands of NSW, Australie

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
In reply to # 3608257 by MGCRoadster1968
In reply to # 3608025 by Alan V My question is how he suggest I spend the money saved????? Endless possibilities when you own a British car. BTW the part number for EBC pads for the MGC is same as Capri pads DP 2291. The holes for the pins need to opened up slightly.

Cheers,

Alan smileys with beer

I would think about a romantic dinner, flowers or some other activity or purchase that your partner can be pleasantly surprised by winking smiley

[mainly, to ensure the free flow of dollars in the future]

Sage advice. I went to dinner Monday and will see the powder coater tomorrow.smileys with beer
Ron

JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Be thankful for your understanding spouses, I'm afraid it didn't work for me.
Until our divorce I've been making up for lost time, who needs retirement plans.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster