AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, B.C., Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
I’ve finally started dismantling my C GT and I’m finding a hodgepodge of fasteners, some original and some look they came from under somebody’s workbench. Also the degree of tightness varies from just more than finger tight to Magilla Gorilla tight. I just about bent the wrenches removing the driveshaft bolts yesterday. I don’t know who designed the oil/transmission cooler installation but they should have their fingers slapped. The fasteners in between the coolers and the body wall could barely be turned one flat at a time and on top of that the spacer tubes are rusted solid to the bolts so the two coolers won’t come apart. It’s not too bad though, so far I’ve only had to split two nuts that were rusted solid.

The head is off and dismantling it was easy until I got to removing the intake and exhaust manifold studs. They proved to be a bit of a challenge. All but four of them came off with double nuts fairly easily (a couple were barely finger tight), two had to experience some heat and ATF/Acetone before they came loose. I stripped the threads on the last two with the double nuts without any movement at all. Off to the local hot rod engine machine shop to borrow a stud extractor. It’s amazing how easy things can be when one uses the right tools. The first one came right out with the stud extractor and the second one still needed a bit of heat before it succumbed. Now it’s all packed up to be shipped to Hap so he can work his magic on it. The HS6s are packed up and off to Joe Curto for some magic also and a third brother will be joining them for the return trip.

While I’ve been poking around the underside of the car it doesn’t look like it has any green paint on it, just pink primer and undercoating. It’s pretty grimy under there so it’s hard to tell. Once I get it completely dismantled I’ll have to get at it and clean it up. So far no body rust has presented itself.

The block and the transmission are ready to come out now so that will be the next job.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 02:11 PM by Ken Plumstead.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC GT "California Chrome"
1969 MG MGB GT "Rat"
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1970 MG MGB GT "Widow"    & more
Pink belly is how they came. Good Luck

John Rogers
vicechairman@namgbr.net

romeo69 Gold Member Stephen Curtis
, Berkshire, UK   GBR
sign of a good mechanic is patience and plenty of tools seems to me you have them .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Yes, patience and tools I have. The patience took a bit of cultivating though.

I came up with another good one yesterday. All of the seat securing captive nuts were completely stripped. The PO solution, drill them out and pass smaller bolts through them.

Ken

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
Ken,

I would remove the headlining and have a really good look under the roof (turret in USA talk) as I had to have my car repainted [May 1968 build] after we discovered two 4mm holes through the roof caused by condensation from inside, there is that bitumenous muck that is on the floor applied to the inside of the roof over the pink electrophoresis coating allowing the roof to rust. it was never painted on my car.

I now have the later fibre glass [with no resin in it from a later wrecked B-GT] headlining. This has a vinyl covering with no pattern through it. My car had a vinyl lining with a pattern that had stripes running from front to rear and which cracked along the stripes allowing the rusting process to start, not helped by 10 years with Air Conditioning.

Bruce.

Attachments:
DSC02669.JPG    12.8 KB
DSC02669.JPG

DSC02769.jpg    50 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC02772.jpg    53.9 KB
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Thanks for the heads up Bruce.

I read your thread about the rust issues in your car. Checking my roof is definitely on my list of things to do.

Ken

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
Ken,

The early GT cars B & C had the very lightly striped headlining, the later cars with the fibreglass and vinyl has plain vinyl with no pattern in it.
If you find 5/16" (8 mm) foam plastic under the headlining you have the early headlining. There is nothing behind the vinyl in the later cars except for the Fibreglass, without any resin in it.

The photos show what we found in the body once all the factory paint was removed. I spoke to my long retired Paint & Panel man and he said they found this sort of shell damage in some of the B-GT's that they restored.

Bruce.

Attachments:
DSC02752.jpg    33.4 KB
DSC02752.jpg

DSC02753.jpg    29.3 KB
bowtech Avatar
bowtech Stan Bowles
North Vancouver, B.C., Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGB GT
1968 MG MGC GT
1968 MG MGC GTS
1969 MG MGC GT "KJT"    & more
I'm on my third dismantle - its always a learning curve and something new each time!
Good luck!
Stan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links