Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jewar Avatar
jewar Silver Member John Warlimont
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a friend in Alberta that has been the executor for his uncles british cars, he keeps teasing me with a CGT with automatic. The car is in California with his uncles daughter
and either get's no use or very little. From what I understand they are not British car people and have little use for the car. I know a little about C's but not a expert, I helped with Paul McLaren's CGT a few years ago. If you change to a overdrive does it affect the value of the car. Boosters are a big issue what else?
John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
windjammerusn40 Avatar
windjammerusn40 Gold Member Bill McCord
East Peoria, Illinois, USA   USA
Keep the automatic, you like it. It is a great long legged Grand Tourer. I have been to several AMGCR gatherings and there are always several automatics there. AMGCR is now AMGCR-A, the Amerifan MGC Register Association.

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/amgcr/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 12:04 PM by windjammerusn40.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
In reply to # 3493764 by windjammerusn40 Keep the automatic, you like it. It is a great long legged Grand Tourer.

Ditto

This is by no means akin to MGB except the look. It is long legged, robust and most fun and should you or anyone by pass the somewhat rare BW35 in favor of the mundane 4 speed, you are missing the icing on the cake of MGC ownership. Easy heavy urban traffic and Interstate cruising hand and foot feddling free. It will never be up to speed with an A or B series sports cars in terms of sporty driving but the overall concession to civility and driving pleasure is the keen asset of the BMC brutally aggressive BIG BORES...x2 with the slush box.
You'll rue the day if you pass up a fair bargain for a rust free MGC. Start planning now where you'll park the 3 Bs which may never be driven again. winking smiley

smileys with beer

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
John
I find that a MGB or MGBGT which I also love are a little more nimble sporting car but on the freeway I have to huff and puff a little more than I like to keep up with the traffic flow.
With a MGC or MGCT I need to slow down to stay abreast of traffic. Its a different animal as most of the above comments can attest. It really shows its colors as a grand touring car.
Transmission choice is a personal preference but I would not pass up a nice car if it had the BW35. I have both and like them for different reasons. Just like a roadster and a GT, both have thier place.
Ron

jewar Avatar
Ron;
What makes it more of a question is that I am building a V6 BGT, but I am getting fairly close to finished , so might want to try another project..
The automatic is something I might be able to talk the wife into driving.
John

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
John
Can't argue the merits of a V6 conversion. Sometimes I get drawn towards the dark side when I see all those really nice cars.
My wife drove an automatic CGT for years and loved it. I am getting ready to build her another one, but with AC this time and it had to be MIneral Blue.
I just happened to know where a orig Mineral blue automatic lived so that was a easy buy.
Ron

jewar Avatar
Apparently this one is primrose.
John

DHC1 Avatar
DHC1 Gold Member Kurt B
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
I would also support strongly keeping the auto transmission in the car. I have two C-GT's with overdrive, can't tell you how much I wish one was an auto.

Can't comment on the qualities of the v6 B conversions, look interesting, but I do prefer the C as a factory supplied 6 even though a technical argument can be made that a B V6 might be superior.

Best of luck!

SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC
In reply to # 3493902 by jewar Ron;
What makes it more of a question is that I am building a V6 BGT, but I am getting fairly close to finished , so might want to try another project..
The automatic is something I might be able to talk the wife into driving.
John

A suggested way ahead...

Complete the V6 conversion and enjoy the hell out of it...

Fly to Cally, buy the CGT, make sure the care is roadworthy...then...once in lifetime ROAD TRIP!!! smileys with beer

When back home, contact local tyre kickers and get rid of one or more Bs now surplus to requirements...

Alternatively, aim to source another 3 cars plus the CGT in order to have a different car for each day of the week...

Questions? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Mick
Southern Highlands of NSW, Australie

jewar Avatar
So, curious. Does the BW35 have a passing gear or kickdown like the old powerglides?
John

1968 MG MGC
It will kick down, and the beauty of the box is that 2nd will hold to 75-85MPH for passing...

Mick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 07:12 PM by MGCRoadster1968.

jewar Avatar
Thanks, it gives me something to think about. Going to have a good look and talk with a few people at MG2017. I am working full time and have been able to keep one on the road and build another. Thinking I might retire soon, I think that I am going to need more to do. Biggest problem is room.
John

1968 MG MGC
In reply to # 3494312 by jewar Thanks, it gives me something to think about. Going to have a good look and talk with a few people at MG2017. I am working full time and have been able to keep one on the road and build another. Thinking I might retire soon, I think that I am going to need more to do. Biggest problem is room.
John

Room is for you to acquire...one way or the other. If you are rooted to your current property, can it be dug out/raised/reconfigured to provide more room?

Local storage or parking facilities? Friends with larger properties who could care for a car or two?

If you can move (before you retire)...the world is your Oyster smiling smiley

Whatever happens, Best of British (Canadian) luck!

Mick

jewar Avatar
Mick:
No way of expanding, lot lines prohibit
#2 have done with limited success
#3 been in the same house for 23 years, and have good neighbours . Prices are crazy like Sydney and Brisbane
#4 Thanks for the encouragement, Guessing I will rent a shop, move up to larger yard with shop is an option, I want the shop but detest yard work so I don't want high maintenance yard they seem to go hand in hand
#5 Keep one car running and work on a project, doing that now.
john

1968 MG MGC
Ya know...John's right on top of it thumbs up

Mick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 07:15 PM by MGCRoadster1968.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster