Automatic to overdrive transmission swap

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

two MGCs gary herbold
orangevale, USA   USA
After thinking about this for a long time I have decided to install an overdrive transmission in place of the automatic BW35 unit now in my car as I am tired of the oil leaks. The auto. trans has been rebuilt but it started leaking again within about 4000 miles. I will be pulling the engine/transmission yet again but at 82 I would like this to be the last time as I thing I am getting to old for this type of fun. I am looking for a od transmission if anyone has one. I tried a listing in the buy,sell & trade forum but no luck so hoping this will lead to my finding one.
Thanks
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Oldertech Scott Williams
Topeka, Kansas, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC "The Green C"
1970 Austin America "Robin Egg"
Looks like you have your mind set on the synchro, so that should be an interesting adventure. I had the BW35 on my Austin Marina that I drove for 10 years. The leaky places were the cork gasket on the pan and the shafts for the shifter rod. Replacing those shifter rod seals really slowed it down. (I think I still have some, in spite of the fact that I long longer have the car.) Are you leaking from anywhere else? There are probably better ways to seal the pan than that gasket that came in the kits.

Scott

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Gary,
I'm about to do this swap myself. I like the automatic but not the fact that I can't work on it.
I bought a parts car that has an OD. I may have overpaid as it's missing some parts specific to the manual set up. Like the master to slave pipe. People are pretty stingy with the ODs.

My second option was to find a C 4-speed and swap out the mainshaft and OD from one of the B transmissions I have. People seemed a bit more willing to give up a non-OD transmission.

I hesitate to say this because of what I paid for the parts car and the unknown condition of the OD but if you don't have any luck I'd consider selling you my OD for the cost of having my automatic transmission rebuilt.

PM me if you want to discuss.

two MGCs gary herbold
orangevale, USA   USA
Hi Noble

PM sent

Gary

SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC
Gary,

Great to see you still in the game instead of slippered feet up waiting for the dinner bell and the cribbage comp!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Suggestion:

Why not consider a modern 5 speeder? As much as I like originality, and enjoyed driving an OD Four on some long journeys, you can't beat modern technology and its ease of use...

Cheers, Mick

Mick
Southern Highlands of NSW, Australie

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
I have a buyer for an MGC automatic on the east coast if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
blt 449 roger sykes
Conroe, Texas, USA   USA
Gary
Let me chime in here as I have that T-shirt. My car was originally fitted with the BW auto and subsequently converted, years before I bought it, to the manual/OD. The job was not well done and it took me some time/effort/$ to make it right. To wit: piping master-to-slave was soft hose, required spacer in front of clutch master not there, pedals/axle ex MGB, oil cooler left in place so engine cooler was 10 row vs 13 row. Your major work will be in the pedal box. While the B assy will work, the axle will have to be bushed up from 1/2 to 5/8 to properly fit the box sides and internal spacing is attained with a polyglot of washers. The master will probably have to ground a bit to avoid contact with the brake lines exiting the brake master. I actually had to re-bend (VERY carefully) the brake lines and grind the numbers off the clutch master. You can now barely slide a piece of paper between the two. When the car was originally built, there was nothing else in the pedal box, so little attention was paid to the brake line routing. This is only an issue for the NA spec cars with dual brake system. The spacer in front of the master is required to keep the operating rod from bottoming out on the box cover. It is hard to find but can be made out of a good hardwood. I was able to locate one just as I finished my wood sub.
All that said, I love the manual/OD.
Cheers and Good Luck
Roger

Or you could ask a MGC parts supplier if he has a spare pedal box or two. grinning smiley

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

cell 563 940 1864

Member Services:
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Roger, I bought an entire parts car with most everything necessary to do this swap. I have the transmission, flywheel, driveshaft, clutch master and slave (I'll probably replace instead of rebuild), the spacer that y'all are talking about and the pedals and pedal box. On initial inspection the pedal box looks identical to the one in my automatic. Are you saying they are (or are supposed to be) different somehow?

The one thing missing is the master to slave hard pipe. I have a spare pipe from a defunct B project. Would this work for the swap or do I need to speak with Robert about a new pipe?

Also the car with the automatic doesn't have the mounting bracket on the frame rail. Did y'all just tack on a bracket?

Noble, others, you need to dismiss the idea MGB bay area has anything in common with proper MGC parts. Off the top I can't think of one thing that interchanges other than the alternator, coil, some internal dizzy parts, a few windscreen washer plumping, possibly the air pump and I don't think that is the same. No doubt this list is abbreviated but on major parts and ANY MGC brake parts are Girling, and all BMC 4 bangers used Lockheed.
Clutch master to slave MGC, is PN BMK441 and as far as I know I am the only USA/UK source. Have a unit coming in Monday.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

cell 563 940 1864

Member Services:
2003JAG Avatar
2003JAG Gold Member Chuck Hassler
Monument, CO, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC "Blue Boy"
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE)
Don't forget Ebay. There is a clutch master spacer listed right now, and I think a few clutch masters. I just bought a hard pipe from Anglo Parts, correct length and fittings. I've collected almost all parts to do the swap to four speed and O/D; just waiting for the T-35 to either blow up or bleed to death.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 03:08 PM by 2003JAG.

SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC
In reply to # 3489794 by kirks-auto I have a buyer for an MGC automatic on the east coast if anyone is interested.

Gary, alternatively....sell the Auto and buy a stick-shifted example cool smiley

[Just be wary of this approach if there is a partner in the house, because it can lead to... "good that you sold the sports car, now you can get an RV and we can go see the country etc etc etc] !

Mick
Southern Highlands of NSW, Australie

blt 449 roger sykes
Conroe, Texas, USA   USA
Gary
When you pull the cover off your donor's pedal box (which is no different, auto vs Manual), note the tight clearance between the jumper pipes (those that lead from the brake master to the interface fittings on the inside wall of the box) and the clutch master. In your auto pedal box, there was no concern about these pipes because there was nothing else in the box. Most probably, you will need to use the jumpers (if not the whole assy, rebuilt) out of your donor. As regards the clutch master hard pipe, I don't know of any sure way to insure cleanliness of the bore, therefore either build or buy a replacement. I built mine--piece of cake if have the tools to make the end fittings. As regards the interface mounting, it was in place in my car and looked original. You will have to tack one on I guess.
Cheers,
Roger

romeo69 Gold Member Stephen Curtis
, Berkshire, UK   GBR
all parts are available to convert to manual overdrive .from a auto .even have the oil cooler plinths retooled to match our alloy spacer .in uk we use 2 off these for brake and clutch master cylinder

In reply to # 3494939 by blt 449 ...pedal box (which is no different, auto vs Manual)...

Point of clarity there were 3 different "pedal boxes" used on the MGC.
AHC379 earliest
AHC621 second version most of the world and early Canada.
AHC693 USA and later NA spec.

The spacer for the clutch master is about 1.25 alloy as pictured below. I can make an exact measure for anyone wanting a DIY fix. Someone in Massachusetts is making them and shucking them on US ebay for about $37 delivered
PN AHC382
It is not "tacked" and is just a spacer or spacer block if you will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGC-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Spacer-AHC382-MG-/142230106845

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

cell 563 940 1864

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 11:23 AM by kirks-auto.

Member Services:

Attachments:
AHC382.jpg    6.5 KB
AHC382.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster