MGC Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Float bowl spacer

Posted by tdskip 
Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

Hi guys - the HS6 carbs had a rubber (?) spacer on them that I've not seen on other HS6 before. They were dry and crumbly, and generally broken-up so I discarded them but now I'm wondering if they need to be replaced.

There was an extra spacer where part #10 goes;

ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

"...so I discarded them but now I'm wondering if they need to be replaced."

Yes, they perform two functions: 1) they isolate the float bowl from vibration and 2) they set the float bowl at the correct angle (level).
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

Well since there we perished new ones will need to be sourced. Paging Robert!

Swamperca Avatar
Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC GT
1968 MG MGC GT "California Chrome"
1969 MG MGB GT "Rat"
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1970 MG MGB GT "Widow"   → more

Jimmy Hilton replaced mine during the rebuild.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

OK - Jimmy Hilton is a new name to me. What is the scoop Swamper?

Swamperca Avatar
Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC GT
1969 MG MGB GT "Rat"
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"

Jimmy Hilton is a guy in Texas that rebuilds SU carbs on the side and does excellent work. They come back turnkey with little adjustment needed and are better than new at reasonable price. I currently have one of my Bee's carbs being rebuilt by him. He did an excellent job on my Cee's carbs and I highly recommend getting yours done by him. It makes all the difference getting the dizzy (Jeff) and the carbs (Jimmy) in getting these engines running without a bunch of guess work.

mgcsaylor Avatar
Mark Saylor
Pennsylvania, USA   usa
1969 MG MGC "Pride and Joy"

Hilton is the like the Jeff Schlemmer of SUs.

Or is it the other way around?

Have heard nothing but kudos for Jimmy's rebuilding services.

Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

Hi guys - turns out that Moss carries the spacers.

Robert Edwards has saved me from me (they really were shot) and took all the mystery and work out of this (thanks Rob!). They are Moss 372-670 and 372-680. References to Healeys.

Mark S - maybe something for the newsletter? (that I still need to send you money / paperwork on)

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

Just did a test fit of the Volvo carbs that i rebuilt for Tom R's 122s and they won't work as temp units on the MGC because I forgot that the Volvo intake manifold is at an angle. The float bowls are offset on the 122s carbs to keep them level, and when mounting on an MGC they'd be at a weird angle. Oh well..

Now where did I put that spare HS6 main body?

Big6Mark Avatar
Mark M
Emerald Valley, OR, USA   usa
1960 Austin-Healey 3000
1968 MG MGC "Red Tail"
1968 MG MGC
1968 MG MGC GT "The Wreck"
1969 MG MGC GT "The Lump"

Tom:

If they are also HS6s you just use a different float spacer - OOPS! -

That reminds me that the Healey carbs are all 30 degree semi-downdraft types, so the Healey spacers will just make your MGC carbs into Volvo carbs. Better recheck those part numbers again.

C Ya,
Mark

gary herbold
orangevale, USA   usa

Tom

I have used the HS6 carbs. off a Volvo by changing the float chamber adaptor (spacer #10) from the one used on a Volvo to the ones used on the MGCs. The angel of the rubber adaptor was different on the Volvo carbs. I had which held them at a slant just like you experienced. Also these adaptors are handed so they only have the correct angle if installed on the front or back carb. they were made for. The originals I have seen were one blue and one red so they would not get mixed up. I just don't remember what color went to which carb.
Hope this is of some help.

Gary

Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

Got the broken shaft out of the original carb body, so maybe I can scrounge up a replacement pivot bolt and get back on track here.

Swamperca Avatar
Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC GT
1969 MG MGB GT "Rat"
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"

Would it be the same one as in the HS4 b carbs????

Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA

Not sure - good idea though Swamper! I don't have a set of HS4's handy to check, but I'm staring at a pair of HS2s right now and they sure look the same.

I have a spare set of SU HS6 carbs so if none of the guys have one locally I'll cannibalize the spare set. Shhhh. Don't tell Tom R since it was going to go with the car once is comes to his senses and buys it...

JimmyHilton Avatar
Jimmy Hilton
Carrollton, Texas, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB GT "Probably Parts"
1968 MG MGB "Minkey"
1979 MG MGB "Heidi"
1980 MG MGB "Ellie"

There is one other issue to be aware of in the difference between the normal 20 or 30 degree float bowl mounting, and the horizontal mounting. In SU carbs that have horizontally mounted float bowls, the bowls are also different. All bowls that are for non horizontal mount will use an 1310 bowl. All that are horizontal will use a 2140 bowl. At first glance they look to be the same, but are not. The 2140 bowls sit lower in relation to the carb body. The jets and choke lever setup are also vastly different for a horizontal mount bowls to accomodate the shorter distance.

Jimmy Hilton Jimmy@BatteryPowered.com

Member Services:
Specializing in SU carb restoration. Also this hobby is a love of mine, and I like to be of any help. Best contacted by phone at 214-621-2344

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG