What does a seamstress charge per hour

Posted by 3885KOONTZ 
3885KOONTZ Avatar
Dave Budden
Sandy, Ut, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT "PROZAC"
1992 Ford Full Size Bronco "YRUUGLY"
2005 Dodge Neon

A friend of ours son, wants my wife to make drapes and tablecloths for his business. She can sew very well. We were thinking for of charging $25-30/hr. Does that seem fair?
thanks
Dave

"Reason is not automatic, those who deny it, cannot be conquered by it." Ayn Rand

"I am a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." Red Green

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

The American businessmen, as a class, have demonstrated the greatest productive genius and the most spectacular achievements ever recorded in the economic history of mankind. What reward did they receive from our culture and its intellectuals? The position of a hated, persecuted minority. The position of a scapegoat for the evils of the bureaucrats. Ayn Rand

mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

Research

take a project to several places (phone book, cleaners) and get quotes. reckon the project would take about an hour to do. make sure to accommodate the time to write it up and such.

that will tell you.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com

don4975 Avatar
Don don4975
Rockville, MD, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB "Biscuit"
1970 MG MGB

Dave,

Seems high, I guess it depends on how much you want the job? At $30 per hour I would shop elsewhere.

JMO

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
cfrench Avatar
Carl W. French
alfred, Maine, USA   usa

Seems about right. Think about what a car shop charges for the entry guy to do a tune up. A seamstress has to provide the shop space and usually a rather expensive pro grade sewing machine.

Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine
Southern Maine LBC welfare shelter
67B will be in our will
73BGT Daily driver
73BGT Wife's car
Many more that change often

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/leylandauto/

JackMG Avatar
Jack Lindler
Greenville,SC, USA   usa

Don, you're a skinflint - I agree with Carl.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Jerry Avatar
Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   usa

call around to pros and then do an average if yo want to job.

snoski Avatar
James Blackledge
Lake Norman, NC, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB

If she is doing labor only and not providing any materials, I would think $25-30/hr. is a bit steep.

cfrench Avatar
Carl W. French
alfred, Maine, USA   usa

If she is doing it with thier sewing machine and not hers. In thier house and not hers then $25-30 is generous. The material is a whole 'nother ball game as that is going to cost big $$ potentially.

Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine
Southern Maine LBC welfare shelter
67B will be in our will
73BGT Daily driver
73BGT Wife's car
Many more that change often

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/leylandauto/

Soyokaze 72MGB Avatar
Ryan Foster
Keller, Texas, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB "Bitty"

I seem to recall that if you go to Sears or JCP that they will make up curtains to order for you for a certain fee. You picked the style from their catalog, and they made them up. This might have been years ago, but I recall in the early 90's this service was available.

<º))))><..¸.•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸.•´`><((((º>

comart45 Avatar
Peter Cummins
Lansing,MI, USA   usa

You guys forget, it's not just paying for the job to be done, it's how good the job will be done. You pay more for quality and experience. If not, you should.

I've fought that my whole life with architectural renderings. Most builders just see the bottom line. They could care less how good the rendering is, just how much it costs. They forget that it reflects upon their product. Cheap ass art, must be a cheap ass product.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG