Please Sign In or Register to Search

Headlight Rejuvenation

Posted by melbaver 
melbaver Avatar
Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   aus
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"

A friend of mine came up with this and I thought it worth sharing.

I don't know whether you've had the yellowing headlight problem where the plastic cover gets attacked by UV and becomes yellow.
My Daewoo (10 years old), Anna's Holden (10 years old) both have the problem. I've tried a few methods of cleaning it up. There's some stuff called Plastix which is about $16, a cream that you polish the light with. Certainly made a big difference returning the lens to about 90% clarity but it didn't take long until the yellowing started to reappear. The headlight shown below (top picture) has been cleaned a few times this way.

I saw that Repco had a kit for rejuvenating headlights. It's a bit more complicated. Basically you sand off the crap with sandpaper, gradually getting finer and finer. When you have finished sanding the headlight cover is nearly opaque. Then you use two different cleaning rags to drag any sandings and dust off the lens. Then you heat the lens with a hair dryer and then spray the clear headlight protection stuff on and Bingo! The lenses become crystal clear instantly. A couple of coats of this stuff and you're done. The results are fantastic. I'm now waiting to see how long it will last. Apparently the clear spray has UV protectors in it so I'm expecting it to last a while.

The bad part about this story is the cost. I paid more than $60 for the kit. It consists of two sanding blocks, 4 sanding sheets, a couple of small tack sheets, some brown paper to prevent overspray, some masking tape and a can of spray. Apart from the spray you get about $6 worth (max). So is the spray worth $54? I'm looking to see what it is worth without the kit but I'm betting it would be about $14. So the kit works well but is an absolute rip-off at its current price. If you can't get it separate at Repco I'm going to get some UV protectant clear spray and try it on an old headlight to see if I get the same results.

Picture 1: A previously treated with Plastix headlight before trying the new stuff. (It's not as bad as one that had never been treated.

Picture 2: This is the treated headlight after spraying the clear spray onto it. Comes up like new.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled which is why I'm often ignorant about what some parts are, and even more ignorant of where they go.

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
Headlight 1.jpg (20 KB) –
Headlight 1.jpg

headlight 2.jpg (28.6 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
1977 MGB Avatar
Doug Doherty
Goldsboro, NC, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB MkIII "Lil' B"

Amazing. Seems the Repco product is only available down under.
Plasix is available here.
kawtoy Avatar
Shane Nudds
Henrietta, NY, USA   usa

I got the same results with a Turtle Wax kit I bought for about $7 here in NY. I did it on a Saturn that looked like the headlights were covered with mud. I didn't take any pictures but the results were impressive. It was my friends car and she didn't even realize how bad the headlights were until I did one and showed her the difference. She had the car so long she didn't notice they had become so dulled. She said when she drove it after I did the lights she kept thinking her high beams were on because it was so bright.

http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=86
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Simon Avatar
Simon Clowes
Salem, Oregon, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Big Red"

Get the same effect with toothpaste - and it stops cavities - lol

1979 Roadster (Big Red) daily driver.
unknown GT somewhere in the future.
09 Accent

Don't got to bed made - stay up all night plotting revenge
mgbanthony Avatar
Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   can
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1991 GMC Sierra 1500   → more

Any good rubbing compound will do the same trick and following it up with a coat of clear or two will keep the yellowing at bay for quite a while. This reduces the cost significantly.
rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."

Anthony,
What product do you use for the "coat of clear"?

In reply to # 2280468 by mgbanthony Any good rubbing compound will do the same trick and following it up with a coat of clear or two will keep the yellowing at bay for quite a while. This reduces the cost significantly.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”
Anon

TANSTAAFL !
mgbanthony Avatar
Anthony Henderson
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB

In reply to # 2280482 by rocannon Anthony,
What product do you use for the "coat of clear"?

In reply to # 2280468 by mgbanthony Any good rubbing compound will do the same trick and following it up with a coat of clear or two will keep the yellowing at bay for quite a while. This reduces the cost significantly.

Typically a spray can sold for doing paint touch ups at any automotive supplier works fine for me.
rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."

ah, i see. Literally clear coat paint.

thanks.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”
Anon

TANSTAAFL !
mgbanthony Avatar
Anthony Henderson
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB

In reply to # 2280868 by rocannon ah, i see. Literally clear coat paint.

thanks.

Sorry, I could have been a little more "clear" in how I described it...
HL Miller Avatar
Henry Miller
Chair City, NC, USA   usa

I sand them thoroughly with 500 grit paper on an orbital sander and spray two coats of automotive clear. Holds up really well. Buffing works well, but just doesn't stay clear as long as clear coating.
oldthudman Avatar
Claud Pipkin
Houston, Texas, USA   usa

Never heard of that brand........Google shows 3M $15.99, Meguiar's $19.97-$24.99, Sylvania $24.99.........Fritz is $133 but not sure I'd pay that much.....

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

When all else fails, play dead
Andy74 Avatar
Andy Jamieson
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada   can

I had some severely clouding yellowing headlamps on my 01 Mustang and my 99 Chrysler LHS, and I tried Plastix which was a hug waste of money. I bought the 3M kit with the sanding discs you attach to a drill, and it worked perfectly. The problem with Plastix is it can't get rid of the coat of damaged plastic on the surface. You pretty much need to sand it off. I think the 3M kit was like $25 here in Canada, so it's probably only $5 in the States
OldBloke Avatar
Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   usa
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"

X2 on the toothpaste recommendation!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien
Thom Asay
USA   usa

You are all on the right track. At the factory and professionally we use a clear coat that is neither solvent or water based, where that base evaporates out as it dries. The factory coating is cured with a UV light like the little purple thing the dentist cures your fillings with or the light the "nails" ladies use on your wife's custom finger nails.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save