Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MBuringrud Avatar
MBuringrud Mark Buringrud
Debary, FL, USA   USA
My father bought and restored thi TC in the early to mid seventies. I was involved to some degree as I was with all his restorations. It is a original California car. When my after died in 1996 the car went to north Iowa and was put in storage and didn't move until I found it last month and bought it back and shipped it to our home in Florida. Basically a barn find in good original no rust condition. Should I do a frame up restoration or get it running and drive as is????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0429.jpg    53.1 KB
IMG_0429.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg    60.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0426.jpg    61.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ozarkboy Avatar
ozarkboy Gold Member James Auer
Batavia, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Maggie"
1979 MG MGB "Ozarkboy"
Hi, Mark -

First, is going to be a show car or a driver? If a driver, dust it off, replace all rubber, flush all liquids, do engine diagnostics and tune-up and see how it goes...and, if a show car, take it from there!

Great car, good luck!

James

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
An original car in good condition should never get a total restoration - once you have taken away the patina of age and originality, it can’t be replaced. Many people put a premium on such cars. Just clean it up, check out the major components, and fix the minor things. Unless the paint and interior are well worn / damaged, don’t replace them.
Dave H

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
This is already at least part restored, new interior and probably resprayed. I think you will find its quite good after a thorough clean and polish.

Matthew.

MBuringrud Avatar
Debary, FL, USA   USA
As mentioned in my original post, the car had a frame up restoration in the mid seventies.

BonezTD Avatar
BonezTD Gold Member Tom Thorington
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Mouse"
Mark,
Your story is similar to mine. A car with an emotional connection that has been sitting for a long time....in my case 32 years. A partial restoration was begun and sadly interrupted by cancer. My game plan:
1. Get it running
2. Make sure it stops...I have a steep driveway.
3. Get it running WELL so it makes it back up driveway...head, carb, distro rebuild.
4. Disassemble and refurbish as many original parts as possible with the objective of a 90% resto. A really nice looking driver that I'm proud to show off, but not show. Just want to do most of it myself.
Like riding a Harley, it's the journey more than the destination.
Hope we get to see your progress.
Tom

TD 10180

MBuringrud Avatar
Debary, FL, USA   USA
Thanks Tom! Nice post. For the moment I'm having trouble getting myself to even wash it LOL!

BonezTD Avatar
BonezTD Gold Member Tom Thorington
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Mouse"
I know the feeling, Mark....took me a year!
T

MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
In reply to # 3680046 by MBuringrud My father bought and restored thi TC in the early to mid seventies. I was involved to some degree as I was with all his restorations. It is a original California car. When my after died in 1996 the car went to north Iowa and was put in storage and didn't move until I found it last month and bought it back and shipped it to our home in Florida. Basically a barn find in good original no rust condition. Should I do a frame up restoration or get it running and drive as is????

That's an ideal rolling restoration to me. Give it a good wash, first take care of the essential mechanicals, then do (not necessarily in this order), the engine compartment, next the interior, then the exterior, and finally the undercarriage. A trunk compartment would be included in the list, if it had one.winking smiley. Trying to get on to the next step with a running, driving car keeps you motivated.

Lonnie Cook Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
I would love to see your TC and its story on display at GOF-South next month. Don't even wash it. 20 miles from DeBary.
http://www.gofsouth.com

The Hilton is sold out. Extended Stay America is right next door.

Lonnie
TF7211
Chairman GOF-South Mk LII
March 22-25
Hilton Altamonte Springs

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

MBuringrud Avatar
Debary, FL, USA   USA
Hi Lonnie, I finished my 72 B not long ago... it will definitely be there. I'll try to bring the TC.

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680204 by BonezTD Mark,
Your story is similar to mine. A car with an emotional connection that has been sitting for a long time....in my case 32 years. A partial restoration was begun and sadly interrupted by cancer. My game plan:
1. Get it running
2. Make sure it stops...I have a steep driveway.
3. Get it running WELL so it makes it back up driveway...head, carb, distro rebuild.
4. Disassemble and refurbish as many original parts as possible with the objective of a 90% resto. A really nice looking driver that I'm proud to show off, but not show. Just want to do most of it myself.
Like riding a Harley, it's the journey more than the destination.
Hope we get to see your progress.
Tom

TD 10180

I concur, with the exception I did the brakes first, then checked the electrical, then got the engine running, all after 14 years in climate controlled storage.

Drove it for a season.

Now I am doing the "refurbish" bit, carb overhaul, new fuel pump etc.

Then it will be spring, get the 4.3 rear end in and drive it like I stole it!

Peter

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, So Cal, USA   USA
Your father was a member of a club here in California many years ago. Friends of mine knew him. I would clean the car, give a a thorough stem to stern service and safety check, then never sell it.

Ralph 7h Avatar
Ralph 7h Ralph Siebenhaar
Viersen, Germany   DEU
When I bought my TD in 2010, it was in need of a work on some dents and a repaint, some cleaning, new uphostery and a new gas tank that was rusty inside and had built up a lot of taar.

It was used as a service vehicle on a large Farm in Wisconsin since the 1950's and has now only covered 30193 Miles since it was finished on Spt. 2nd 1952.
I did not do a total tear down and frame up restauration. but renewed all rubber parts, uphostery, tyres, wiring, canvas top, and gave all the parts of wood several coats of 'Ovatrol' paint, a scandinavian wood protection oil and it got a new paint finish with 1K MG-RED to not making it too shiny and keep the apperence of the early 1950's.
Forgot to mention that the steering wheel was the most time consuming item. It had to be cleand, cracks grind down and filled with epoxy putty and two lyers of epoxy resin with a final hand made leather rim cover.
As we have no 'concours' for this kind of small cars here in Europe, it was never a problem for me to keep it as original as possible but only replaced/renewed what was necessary in the way/style it left the factory 65 years ago but I'm still looking for a battery that looks originalsmiling smiley...

Ralph

TD 19435

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Lincon Batteries (lincon.co.uk) make a range of classic batteries. Can’t say if they have one that is right for T types, so you would have to look at their website. For some reason they don’t seem willing to export, so would probably require a pick-up.
Dave H

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster