Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer Silver Member David Steverson
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
I'd like opinions please of this TD as listed on EBay. I have an MGB and have owned an MGA but never a T series car, so i know very little about them, as in what to look for. I do know the basics, such as they have wooden framed bodies and other tidbits I've read on various sites, but nothing beats advice from knowledgeable folks.

I've looked at previous listings on BAT, it seems several of those T series cars finished in the mid-high teens price wise.
Thank you, David

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-MG-TD/253361944590?hash=item3afd8c780e:g:GmEAAOSw86JaU~i0&vxp=mtr

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
It is clean and looks complete.
A nice car that makes you feel that it has been very well maintained.
Just a little flaw but that will be corrected very easily. Never leave the hood long folded. She is crumpled.
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

Sam Suffi Malcolm McConnachy
Littlehampton, West Sussex, UK   GBR
Compared to my 1950 TD this one appears immaculate, obvious non standard items are the steering wheel, rocker box and tappet cover.
The price looks reasonable, I wish it was for sale in the UK sad smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer Silver Member David Steverson
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
Malcolm,
What's a rocker box?
David

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
I agree it looks very good and correct, with a few nice extras. I would want to know a little more about the condition of the engine and hear it running.
Dave H

Sam Suffi Malcolm McConnachy
Littlehampton, West Sussex, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3660319 by wicklowwanderer Malcolm,
What's a rocker box?
David

Hi David,

The Rocker Box, as we Brits call it, could also be called the Valve Cover.
The ebay car has a nice polished aluminium cover.

Malcolm

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, Arizona, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Very nice. No reserve seems funny given a 1950 RHD very clean TD. This seller also is selling a 1933 J2 for 55K.
And wants to buy a dream car?
Talks about Hot Texas and Cold Idaho. Strap on the hood? Was that factory ? Wrong screws on dash. What else besides the valve cover?

If you can get it for 17K good deal, but expect that to go up fast.
Looks in better shape than my 53'

Would love to drive that thing.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 06:46 AM by AZTD.

ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
`` Wrong screws on dash ``
What is wrong with Philips screws on a TD?
And I'll swap out original pressed steel valve and side covers for the "wrong " ali ones on the car.
Nice TD and well worth the money if you want a TD.
Bob, Canada

Frank C MGTF Frank C
Chelmsford, MA, USA   USA
Perfect car to buy to enjoy and just drive it. This is a person I would buy a car from -- paperwork, maintenance records, etc. Seeing the seller's J2 for sale and other cars in his garage, this TD was meticulously restored and maintained.

Frank
TF1414

Frank Cronin
TF 1414

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Early TDs had oval slot head screws mounting the dashboard to the subdash

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, Arizona, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Dash would have been slotted screws

1953 MG TD TD23816

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
Looks very nice but a first person inspection is always a must. Forget the claims of maintaining originality. They almost never are....beside the items mentioned already I see nyloc nuts on the swivel bolts...looks like the tie rod end may be missing the cotter pin...red felt in the side curtain box. The red interior is probably a Moss set....almost everyone uses them but the red is not the correct color. Just saying.... don't buy it with the idea it close to original...it isn't. You can't tell anything about the condition of the wood or the drive train by looking at pictures. If they are good then I'd say his buy it now price is in the correct ball park. Here is the correct valve cover on the car I had.

Attachments:
2528.JPG    68.3 KB
2528.JPG

2530.JPG    68.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, Ohio, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
I wonder what happened to that inner floor support in photo #8? The wooden dash is beautiful but not factory correct. The seller says, "... the dash instrument-cluster was painted black to complement the steering wheel color. A very attractive and vintage-correct option." Were the instrument panels ever painted black on a TD?

Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 11:59 AM by Tim66.

gingan2000 Avatar
gingan2000 Roderick Padilla
Shorewood, USA   USA
1932 Harley-Davidson Touring
1953 MG TD "MGTD"
1953 MG TD
2000 Jaguar XKR Convertible "Red Cat"    & more
Is it for driving or preserving? I would drive it and not worry over valve cover or slot screws, or finish it then trailer it (not my preference). But do check it out check how it runs stops starts, or ind an agent to appraise it.

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, Ohio, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
In reply to # 3660579 by gingan2000 Is it for driving or preserving? I would drive it and not worry over valve cover or slot screws, or finish it then trailer it (not my preference). But do check it out check how it runs stops starts, or ind an agent to appraise it.

Roderick, I don't think anyone is criticizing the car or suggesting it isn't authentic enough. The OP stated, "...never a T series car, so i know very little about them, as in what to look for." No one knows, at this point, how much or how little authenticity means to the OP. Pointing out what to look for is all that people are doing.

Tim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster