AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Healdsburg, CA, USA   USA
Hi folks, appreciate any insight.

On my 1950 TD, I am experiencing a sound reminiscent of a metal ticking against metal. The clock is working as it should...correct time twice a day. Valve lash has been set...engine running more quietly than ever. When revved to 2K in neutral, the sound does not manifest, so I doubt that it is engine related. The ticking sound manifests when accelerating, especially in third gear. The rate of ticking suggests that the driveshaft is the source, however u-joints appear to be solid. Rubbers pieces in the rear end have been replaced. All fluids are fine.

As this is currently the only issue with the TD, it is particularly maddening. Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Tried holding the gearshift?

Peter

momsauto Avatar
momsauto Gold Member Dan Craig
Ozark, Missouri, USA   USA
1953 MG TD MkII "Margaret"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Michael"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "McGregor"
1986 Jaguar XJ-S
Trans mount issues are common - missing components or broken eyelet on tailshaft could allow movement under torque and driveshaft or fasteners could touch something stationary in tunnel.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, ok, USA   USA
All good suggestions, also make sure the front engine stabilizer isn't loose, the rubbers are in good condition and set properly, if bad it can cause the engine to torque under power to one side and possibly ad to the situation. PJ

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Thanks for the suggestions...all seem avenues to explore. TD goes up on the lift Wednesday. Checked front stabilizer and it appears solid and sound. Peter, yes, I tried holding the gearshift and no change. It seems pretty definite, from the rhythm and quality of the sound that it is the driveshaft hitting the tunnel. Nothing new installed in tunnel, either.

My suspicion is either the transmission mount is beginning to fail, as Dan suggests, or the geometry of the rear end installation is off just a hair.

Should know something by Thursday.

TD10971 Avatar
TD10971 Nelson K
long island, NY, USA   USA
grease the heck out of the u joints... might get lucky,,,,

Robert H Gold Member Robert Harvey
Wichita, Kansas, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Millicent Grace (Millie)"
I had a strange situation when I rebuilt the gearbox in my TD. I put in a new rear mount, which raised the back of the gearbox just a bit. Then with two people in the car (flexing the floorboards just a bit) the grease zerk on the front u-joint would hit the inside of the driveshaft tunnel. I took the zerk out and put in a plug (lower profile) and the problem was solved. Might have a look at that.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
check for stones stuck in the tread of the tyres, and check for a nail in the tyres, could be ticking on the road

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, Arizona, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Sometimes the speedo or RPM cable will make the ticking sound. When was last time lubed?

1953 MG TD TD23816

AZTD Avatar
1953 MG TD
So.... what did you find out?

1953 MG TD TD23816

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Sorry for the delay...inclement weather (rain) and other assorted issues delayed the inspection.

Apparently, the clutch return spring parted company with TD 0581. This allowed the linkage to rattle slightly against the gearbox, especially under acceleration when the whole drive line tends to torque a bit. replacement with a suitable spring seems to have caused the mystery tick to disappear. It was hard to be totally sure, because I had the weather gear on for the return from the shop and that creates it's own symphony of rattles, squeeks, clunks and other assorted noises. The mystery ticking sound, however, was not noticeable. Hopefully, job done.

AZTD Avatar
1953 MG TD
Good that it was not a costly fix.

Many more good miles ahead.

1953 MG TD TD23816

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster