New angle drive

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
I have a new design angle drive gearbox almost ready for testing. It is a modular bevel angular gearbox that is fitted to the car gearbox and not the speedo as my other gearboxes. I will be able to do them with Ford inputs and outputs or XPAG inputs and outputs or a combination.I have attached a a photo of the prototype with the lid removed. It's going in my mate's Midget on Friday.
It runs like a Swiss watch!
The bevel gears run in roller bearings seated in bearing caps and the bevel stage is always the same regardless of the input or output configuration.
I will next build the version with the integrated speedo corrector stage. It will be slightly larger but only by 10mm.
The advantage is that it comes out of the gearbox at 90° parallel to the gearbox and has no nasty bend in the cable. With a FORD input and an XPAG output you can still use the original cable.
Regards
Declan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Ford_angle_drive_6.jpg    32.5 KB
Ford_angle_drive_6.jpg

Speedogear_bevel_quad_tube-Model.pdf    45.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, Arizona, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Reverse the in - out put to make it right.
So it turns the same direction.
Looks great. good work

thx

1953 MG TD TD23816

Declan Burns Avatar
The bevel does or does not change the direction of rotation depending on which end of the long shaft you connect to.
I have connected the input and output on the wrong side!
That will give me something to do tomorrow.

Regards
Declan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Declan Burns Avatar
I corrected the input and output configuration this afternoon-now it is correct.
I have also made a 3D drawing of the housing and my mate has ordered a 3D printer so we are going to see what the housing turns out like.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Ford_angle_drive_9.jpg    31.9 KB
Ford_angle_drive_9.jpg

Drolli Carl Drolshagen
Soerup, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany   DEU
Hi Declan,
great part, that is what I looking for - angle drive includung a correction box for my TC with a FORD T9 gearbox.
But I am in doubt that will fit - If you fit the propshaft tunnel modified for th Ford gerbox and the stifning iron there
is no room for your angle drive - I think.
Attached a picture you can spot the how it is fitted.
cheers Carl

Attachments:
SAM_0322.JPG    47.5 KB
SAM_0322.JPG

Declan Burns Avatar
Carl,
I agree it looks very tight there on the TC. Can you take a closer photo? There seems to be more room on the TD but I will have to crawl under there and actually check as it would be a good solution if it would fit and I have several enquiries already. We tried fitting it on a Midget on Friday but without a car lift and the Midget being so there was no chance so we will have to wait.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
P1020284_2.JPG    44.3 KB
P1020284_2.JPG

Declan Burns Avatar
Final product.
Here you can see the options. Ford inputs and outputs or XPAG inputs and outputs.
Just hope it fits!
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Ford_angle_drive_12.jpg    99.5 KB
Ford_angle_drive_12.jpg

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
With Logo MG please !!!
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

buscar Avatar
buscar Silver Member Carlo Busato
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
1953 MG TD
Declan, do you think you could make this to correct the speedo from a Diff change of 5.125 to 4.55 ? Using XPAG inputs and Outputs ?

Cheers

Carlo

Declan Burns Avatar
Carlo,
That is my intention but I have yet to check if it will fit. The housing would be slightly larger (50x50mm) with the corrector stage as you can see on the drawing above. If it does not fit I can provide a speedo head corrector gearbox that will fit. The one in the photo below is for the 4.3 conversion.
Regards
Declan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 04:05 AM by Declan Burns.

Attachments:
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_2.jpg    23.9 KB
Corrector_gearbox_1_1_2.jpg

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Bravo Declan, you're a great mechanic and turner!
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

Declan Burns Avatar
Just been under the car. It will fit and so will the slightly larger version with the corrector stage. I will check the XPAG inputs ans outputs on my mates car in the coming week.
Regards
Declan

Declan Burns Avatar
Here's the XPAG angle drive almost near completion.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
XPAG_angle_drive_1.jpg    41.9 KB
XPAG_angle_drive_1.jpg

Declan Burns Avatar
We did a trial fit of the angle drive on the XPAG gearbox on my mate's RHD TD on Saturday. There is not much clearance as can be seen but it does fit. We will also check the fit when the floorboards are installed.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
XPAG_angle_drive_4.jpg    42.7 KB
XPAG_angle_drive_4.jpg

XPAG_angle_drive_5.jpg    50.7 KB
XPAG_angle_drive_6.jpg    51.2 KB
XPAG_angle_drive_7.jpg    64 KB
Declan Burns Avatar
Here's the prototype of the angle drive bevel stage with the correcting gears installed-ratio 1 : 1.25
It runs quite nicely. This one will get the Ford input and output.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Ford_angle_drive_14.jpg    41.1 KB
Ford_angle_drive_14.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster