AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

skibum12g Avatar
skibum12g Silver Member Erik G
Clifton Park, NY, USA   USA
1952 MG TD MkII
1979 MG MGB
Dave H. -
I just wasn't sure and your idea seemed to be an easy one. I rotated the tire 20x and got 42 or so out of the input flange. That's 2.1:1 then divide by 2 gives 1.05:1. That doesn't seem right, what did I do wrong?
Erik

Erik

'79 MGB
'52 MG TD MK II

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
The answer is 4.2:1 - because 20 turns of one wheel is equivalent to 10 turns of both. 42 turns in give 10 turns out and the ratio is 4.2:1.
Dave H

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
I spoke with Dave Clark, he has to ship the half axles separate as his packing crate wont allow them to be installed, he assures me that they are easy to fit, suggested I reuse my bearings but replace the seals.

I am not 100% sure I have a 4.875 ratio, but plan on doing the exercise to test this weekend.

He is going to be emailing me some information in the near future so I can make my decision. Sure be nice to lower the RPM in the cruise.

Peter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BuilderBob228 Silver Member Robert Weinstein
Winnetka, Illinois, USA   USA
I bought a rear end from Dave and it worked out well. One minor suggestion on the process. When removing the old rear end I only removed one side of the axle strap (I do not know the actual name, rebound strap?) Because it was bent when removed it was very hard to line up the bolt hole when reinstalling. I suspect it may be easier if the strap is completely removed, presumably not bent, and then hopefully it will be easier to get the bolts back in later.
robert

6328ALASDAIR Alasdair Reid
FENWICK, East Ayrshire, UK   GBR
Buy your kit direct from Hi-Gear . Moss sells the same kit with a price mark up.
Kit is beautifully made. ALL parts + Instructions included.
I think they should be able to source and re-condition a Ford T9 'Box for you
Not a difficult job to fit.
There is no need to remove the x-member. A small clearance cut to the flanges at the sideis all that is required.
This will not restrict the possibility of re-fitting the standard box at a later date if so desired.

If Installing the Engine and Box as a unit it is a VERY tight fit.
Much easier if the toe board is removed.

Alasdair

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3608610 by skibum12g Dave H. -
I just wasn't sure and your idea seemed to be an easy one. I rotated the tire 20x and got 42 or so out of the input flange. That's 2.1:1 then divide by 2 gives 1.05:1. That doesn't seem right, what did I do wrong?
Erik

Since we haven't seen a picture of your rear axle, I'm wondering if it looks like this? You mentioned a wire wheel conversion and I would like to confirm that whoever did it did not swap out the entire assembly. The standard ratio on The MGA was 4.3 and for the MK II a 4.1 And of course it is possible that someone has already done a gear conversion.

Attachments:
for bud 119.jpg    56.5 KB
for bud 119.jpg

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3608661 by peter14222 I spoke with Dave Clark, he has to ship the half axles separate as his packing crate wont allow them to be installed, he assures me that they are easy to fit, suggested I reuse my bearings but replace the seals.

I am not 100% sure I have a 4.875 ratio, but plan on doing the exercise to test this weekend.

He is going to be emailing me some information in the near future so I can make my decision. Sure be nice to lower the RPM in the cruise.

Peter

I'd recommend you plan on replacing the bearings as well. They have to be pressed off the old shafts and the chances are fair that they are the original bearings. They will have to be pressed onto the new shafts. A good time to put new ones on and be done with it.

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, ok, USA   USA
Definitely put new bearings on those new axles. I used my 20 ton press and the new ones went on fairly easy. I forgot who's bearings I bought, but I think they were Timken. PJ

momsauto Avatar
momsauto Gold Member Dan Craig
Ozark, Missouri, USA   USA
1953 MG TD MkII "Margaret"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Michael"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "McGregor"
1986 Jaguar XJ-S
Had heard that Dave Clark is also looking at retirement - might talk to him sooner rather than later.

av8djc Avatar
av8djc Dave Clark
Arizona, USA   USA
Joe,

I don't / cannot install the half shafts into a conversion. The crates are not long enough to do that. There is no trick to it except you need access to a press to pull the bearings and spacer off for use on the new shafts. Many auto parts stores have a press. Or you could pull your shafts and send them to me and I'd be glad to do it.

In reply to # 3608225 by Hawkmonster Hi Peter

Reference your questions. If you buy a rear from Dave he will install the shafts. It is then a simple R and R and all you do is ship him your old one back. I suggest you not wait. Dave splits his time between AZ and WA. Winters in AZ and only does diffs while in AZ. He has a beautiful machine shop there. Real nice guy. He has sold his TF and is into Jags.

Most of the Flat landers here install 4.3 gears but your 1500 should handle a 4.1. I run a 4.55 in the mountains with a supercharger and upgraded head and compression.

By the way did you ever buy those luggage straps. If so how do you like them.

Joe

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Hopefully if Dave retires he will pass along the axle business to someone. These shafts have been a godsend. I need to order another set or two

av8djc Avatar
av8djc Dave Clark
Arizona, USA   USA
Yes I will be keeping the shaft business. There has been two more people that I know of that did about 100 conversions and then quit. I crossed that number last year. The conversions are too hard on my old body. I have a "keep your core" sale that I am working on to bring my cores down to where I can then sell the rest of the parts and tooling to the next guy who can go for his 100.

Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA   USA
Dave sorry I gave out the wrong info in regards to the shafts. Remember I loaded mine in the back of the van and drove to Flagstaff with the shafts installed so I was not aware of the shipping issue.

Sorry

Joe

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
In reply to # 3608667 by 6328ALASDAIR Buy your kit direct from Hi-Gear . Moss sells the same kit with a price mark up.
Kit is beautifully made. ALL parts + Instructions included.
I think they should be able to source and re-condition a Ford T9 'Box for you
Not a difficult job to fit.
There is no need to remove the x-member. A small clearance cut to the flanges at the sideis all that is required.
This will not restrict the possibility of re-fitting the standard box at a later date if so desired.

If Installing the Engine and Box as a unit it is a VERY tight fit.
Much easier if the toe board is removed.

Alasdair

Alasdair,
That is not correct. You do have to cut the gearbox cross member on the new Hi-gear kit. You didn't on the old kit which required the engine to be shifted 10mm vertically and 10mm forward. Don't throw the cut out piece of the cross member away as it could be welded back in if a future owner would like to revert to originality.
Regards
Declan

6328ALASDAIR Alasdair Reid
FENWICK, East Ayrshire, UK   GBR
Well spotted Declan.

News to me . Obviously I used the ' OLD ' kit.

I'd be very reluctant to cut out a major structural item from my chassis.
The 10mm down and forward is a bit of a pain.
I machined the faces of the thermostat housing components at an angle,
so that when assembled they brought the top of the ' stat housing into better alignment with
the pipe from the radiator.
Other than that the conversion was fairly straight forward.

Alasdair

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster