AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Front wheel bearings
  This topic is about my 1953 MG TD
tmorehouse Avatar
tmorehouse Silver Member Tom Morehouse
Eastford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Good morning all.

In troubleshooting my front brakes, I removed the front wheels and drums.

WM manual says "remove the grease retaining disk and felt washer." There was no felt washer on either wheel. Is that a problem?

The inner and outer wheel bearings came right off with the drum. According to the WM, you need a special extractor to remove the inner bearing, but they came off with the drum. Does this indicate a problem?

I'd like to check the bearings. Is there a special way to remove them from the hub?

Thanks.
Tom M.

History: 1975 MGB, 1959 TR3, 1958 Mercedes-Benz 220S, 1960 M-B 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
Current: 1953 MG TD27318.
https://nutmegflyer.wordpress.com/trip-details-daily-updates/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
The felt thing is only on early 50 cars,and dos not apply to your car.

The bearings do sometimes come off with the hub, and it's not usually a problem. when you get them out of the hub (see below) you can clean then up and fit them to the spindle without lubrication,and see if they are tight. If they are loose on the spindle, replace them, as they will spin on the spindle.

You do indeed need to remove bearings from the hub to properly clean, test and re-pack them. I take the inner bearing out first - I put the drum on two blocks of wood, and use a long punch on the OUTER EDGE of the inner race. There are two little 180-degree cut-outs in the hub for a punch to remove the bearing, often hidden in grease. You can feel them with the punch tip, and use the long punch and a hammer, alternating side-to-side to remove the bearing. Be sure and put a rag underneath, as they always seem to land on the floor for me... Then turn the drum over, and do the same with the outer bearings. Both inner and outer bearings and seal need to be fitted to the hub before you offer it up to the spindle, as they say.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

tmorehouse Avatar
tmorehouse Silver Member Tom Morehouse
Eastford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Tom - you're a lifesaver. Thanks for the details.

One difference I noted on my drums: the cut outs in the hub were actually covered by the bearings, so I couldn't see them until I managed to get the bearings out.

Anyway, success at last. Bearings are good. I'll be replacing the four shoes, four cylinders, and two oil/grease seals.

Thanks.
Tom M.

History: 1975 MGB, 1959 TR3, 1958 Mercedes-Benz 220S, 1960 M-B 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
Current: 1953 MG TD27318.
https://nutmegflyer.wordpress.com/trip-details-daily-updates/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 03:42 PM by tmorehouse.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links