AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TF Side Panel Modification.
  This topic is about my 1955 MG TF 1500
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, ok, USA   USA
I have a pair of the old original side panels that were chopped up to fit MGA shocks on a TF. I'm thinking of modifying them so the top can be removed when mounted on the car, I'm not about to remove my fenders to use as a template for making the cut position on the panels. Anyone have drawings giving the arch radius of the front fenders? It would be great if someone close had a pair of fenders off I could use for about 20 minutes to scribe the cut line. PJ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
HinPaul,
Mine are definitely off the car but not exactly close (Queensland, Australia) but if you don't get a better offer I could trace a paper pattern and snail mail it. My bodywork has been in pieces for nearly 40 years so I can't guarantee that the fenders (wings) are accurate. I plan on doing the same mod to mine but it's quite a way off...
Chris

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, Connecticut, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
Paul,

I don't have any drawings. The cut line is on the top half of the arch above the bolt holes About 1" larger than the hole, take a large fender washer and make sure that the washers that you are going to use will lock-up the three (now) pieces. Weld off-set tabs to the bottom panel in the middle between the bolt holes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0110.JPG    69.7 KB
IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG    63.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
I have copies as well.
Len Fanelli
Abingdon Performance
laf48@aol.com
914 420 8699

Paul J Avatar
Thanks guys for all the info. Sounds like it would be a nice winter project. I think I might have found someone with a front fender I could make a template from, that would work very well. PJ

ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Silver Member Archie McAllister
CLeveland, TN, USA   USA
Here is the method I used. Came from an old SEMGTR newsletter. Primary advantage of this method is you only have to undo the two 1/4" bolts at the top of the valence panel to remove the upper half. The other method requires undoing a few wing to body attachment bolts. Just looks more complicated to me. Only takes a couple of minutes per side to remove my upper panels.

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

Attachments:
TFvalancemod.pdf    182.1 KB

DSCF1829.JPG    30.7 KB
DSCF1846.JPG    44.2 KB
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Hey Paul. You could aways sell that beautiful car and buy a TD.

Paul J Avatar
Archie, Your method is how I would do mine, like yours, they should be removable from the top without disturbing any other bolts. Since the panels on the car are new and at nearly 500 bucks each, I wouldn't even consider cutting them! I'll have to pull the old ones down and see what repairs need to be initially done. As I said earlier, they were chopped up to fit over MGA shocks, which were on the car when I got it and I think the right one has a bend in it. We'll see. PJ

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Hello Archie McAllister,
It is possible to have the detail of the fixings of the panels?
Best regards, Thierry l'Ardéchois

ArchieMcAllister Avatar
CLeveland, TN, USA   USA
Along the bottom edge the upper panel slips into the pocket that is formed when the sheet metal strips are spot welded to the lower half of the lower panel. Original fixing method and location are used at the top of the panels.

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

Comme ceci :

Merci Archie

Attachments:
Fixations du panneau moteur.jpg    9.9 KB
Fixations du panneau moteur.jpg

ArchieMcAllister Avatar
CLeveland, TN, USA   USA
Thierry, your sketch is not exactly toy correct. The sheet metal strips are attached on the inside and outside of the lower panel half allowing the upper half to rest directly on top of and in line with the lower half. There is a pdf file attached to my original post that shows this and provides a good verbal description.

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

Exactly

Attachments:
Fixations du panneau moteur.jpg    11.3 KB
Fixations du panneau moteur.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster