AutoShrine Sponsor

LGMTR6 Avatar
LGMTR6 Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF 1500
1958 Triumph TR3A
1967 MG MGB GT    & more
To everyone who says that I have too many Classic British Sports Cars, they just didn't realize I was just preparing for this damn storm. For those who don't know, Florida got slammed with a catagory 4 hurricane on Sunday evening. All the way from Key West to the top of the state. It came through my area in Central Florida as a category 2 storm. Most of the state is without power, and fuel and it's going to be a while before it's restored. So when the generator was running low on fuel, what did I do? I went to the garage and siphoned fuel from the TD, B-GT, TR6 and TR250! Hopefully that will last until the power is back on! And yes, I know that gas cans are cheaper, but not as much fun! I hope everyone else impacted by the storm made it through safely. Here is a radar picture of the storm as it passed through. That little black dot is Mount Dora.

Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida
52 MG TD
54 MG TF 1500 (project)
56 Triumph TR3 (project)
67 MGB GT
68 MGC GT
68 Triumph TR 250
71 Triumph Stag
73 Triumph Stag (project)
74 Triumph TR6

I've just never really figured out the "sell one when you get another" part of it all...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 04:01 PM by LGMTR6.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3865.PNG    81.3 KB
IMG_3865.PNG

HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Happy you are ok and nice job on being resourceful!

Steve

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Our TF and TD sometimes act as the gas can for our lawnmower and chainsaw. The siphon hose with the ball valve makes removal easy.

Matthew.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Following a ice/snow storm up here in October 2006 while the leaves were still on the trees and a large loss of power in the area I vowed to be protected in the future despite not being affected in that storm and being on the oldest part of the grid in the city.

In 2008 we commenced a rehab/extension which involved rewiring most of the house and upping the supply from 85A to 200A feed.

I incorporated a generator on top of the garage as power is supplied from behind my property and buried everything from the pole to the house. The generator is natural gas powered and automatically starts 10 seconds after the power goes off, usually it comes online within 5-10 seconds. It has been a great investment, probably cost $5K to add it.

It is set to automatically dump one of my circuit breaker panels if the load gets high, that panel incorporates the ovens, aircon etc. but the lights, heat and microwave are all available.

I designed the setup based on the systems I was familiar with from 40+ years in aviation.

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Peter - You won't regret installing that generator. While we don't often in our area, when it does it can be out anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days. It comes on to test with a 30 minute run (not shifting power) the propane fueled motor once a week. When we have a power outage this is the sequence - power to the house drops - count to three, hear the generator motor comes on - count to three, power comes on for the duration.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
LGMTR6 Avatar
LGMTR6 Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF 1500
1958 Triumph TR3A
1967 MG MGB GT    & more
Yes, a whole house generator is definitely on the to-do list!
But, they'll raise the prices x2 for the next 6 months following the storm. So, it will have to wait a while.
Can't wait for hurricane season to be over!

Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida
52 MG TD
54 MG TF 1500 (project)
56 Triumph TR3 (project)
67 MGB GT
68 MGC GT
68 Triumph TR 250
71 Triumph Stag
73 Triumph Stag (project)
74 Triumph TR6

I've just never really figured out the "sell one when you get another" part of it all...

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Mine does a 15 minute cycle every Thursday, no load switching.

You are correct about the joy of having it. I went for the theory that the installation cost was the same irrespective of the output of the generator so I went with the BIG one, 16KVA on natural gas.

Probably one of the smarter investments I made after my TF and wife of course.

Peter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster