Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mcdd001 Avatar
mcdd001 Don McAndrew
Hereford, Herefordshire, UK   GBR
I have a 1946 MG TC. Anyway, I was changing the coil (as I noticed it was leaking oil) - I had just removed the two low tension screws and removed the connections at the coil when I was called away to answer the phone. When I came back to replace the old coil with a new one I could not remember which of the positive or negative connections takes the two wires. Could someone have a quick look for me and let me know - I feel such a prat

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
If your TC is the original positive earth, then the coil terminal marked + goes to the chassis and the terminal marked - goes to the ignition.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
mcdd001 Avatar
mcdd001 Don McAndrew
Hereford, Herefordshire, UK   GBR
Hi Dave
Thanks for that. Sorry to be so simple but one connection has two wires whilst the other has one. Would I be correct in assuming the single wire is the earth connection , and being positive earth, this connection should go to + side of coil
Cheers Don

RichardM7908 Avatar
RichardM7908 Richard Michell
Dee Why, NSW, Australia   AUS
If your car is positive earth as original, the connection with two wires goes to the negative side of the coil (marked SW on original coils). The single wire connection goes to the positive side (CB originally). Note that the positive wire does not go directly to earth. It goes there via the points which make and break the earth connection.

The two wires to the negative terminal consist of one coming from the ignition switch (bringing the power) and a second going on to the fuel pump to power it..

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Since I screwed up on my original post, I would like to clarify Richard's comments (which are correct but, like me is not clear on where the positive coil terminal, or CB actually connects to). The coil terminal that is marked + or CB goes to the terminal on the distributor. That said, in the great scheme of things, if you get the coil hooked up backwards, the odds are you will not see any difference in performance unless the ignition is nearly dead to start with.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster