52 td engine help

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kelly.s Kelly Sampson
Canby, Oregon, USA   USA
I am the brand new owner of a 1952 td. The previous owner was doing repairs and then died. The car has been sitting the last eight years with the head and pan off. I squirted everything with oil, let set overnight and it now turns nicely. I took the head to the machine shop, I plan on checking the connecting rod bearings and install new bolts. My question is should I replace the rings at this time? If I do, do I need to run a ball hone in the cylinders or will Emory cloth do? No ridges in the cylinders just light rust.. also I sent the rocker arms out for rebuild. I noticed one post was broken. Looks like an old break. What would cause this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kelly

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wallyween Wally Ween (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
Well Kelly as you will soon find out from more research the top end is a weak point on this engine. Real problem lay in the skinney old camshafts used that would wear themselves out real fast if engine operated much aver 4,000 rpm on a routine bases. Also cam followers would get wear on bottom messing up even further the valve lash. Don;t know exactly why the rocker was broke on your car. Why did you send off the head? We need more info before we can give you any advice like you ask.

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
I think a rocker stand was broken, not a rocker. Each stand has a thick ring, 2 that fit into grooves on the rocker shaft to prevent it from turning, and 2 that have flats where there are no shaft grooves. I bet one of the rings was omitted in error, and the stand snapped when the bolt was tightened - or over-tightened.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kelly.s Kelly Sampson
Canby, Oregon, USA   USA
Your right it was a rocker stand. I see the washers in the parts book. Thanks for the help. One more extra dumb question, which cylinder is #1?

Kelly

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
The cylinder closest to the front of the car. If you need a rocker stand, let me know.

Tom Lange
MGTRepair

Kelly.s Kelly Sampson
Canby, Oregon, USA   USA
Are the rocker stand bolts metric? As in can I use a local purchase or are they whitworth? How about the exhaust manifold bolts?

PS: the snapon truck, the mac tool truck and the napa store owner never heard of whitworth tools. Makes me feel old. Found some tools online.

Thanks for the help

Kelly.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
The bolts are Metric like the rest of the engine, but I wouldn't use hardware store stuff. Get a proper set of bolts so you know that they are accurate and the correct strength. Don't forget the safety tabs. And don't feel badly about the rocker stand, it happens more often than you might think. If that spacer slips out and you don't notice, the stand won't have a chance of coming through alive!

As far as the engine, I feel it depends on the overall condition as well as how clean it was kept during storage. If it got full of dust and stuff then I'd probably bite the bullet and rebuild it. At least then you'll know it was done correctly. Driving an engine built by an unknown person, especially one that has been taken apart for reasons unknown, would make me nervous. These engines are getting scarce and very expensive.

parrothead Avatar
parrothead Marshall Blackwelder
WOODBRIDGE, VA, USA   USA
I had my engine professionally overhauled last winter at Precision Machine Shop in Hyattsville, MD last winter. It came back in great condition; even painted with the original colors. I added two rebuilt carburetors from John Lange. Now the engine has plenty of low end torque.

The shop asked me if I wanted a new rear engine seal from Moss that stops the most common source of oil leaks; best $249 I've spent on the car. No more oil leaks so far.

Erick Blackwelder
1952 MG TDS Mark ll
1999 BMW M3 convertible
1997 BMW M3 sedan
2004 BMW 325xi touring car (station wagon)
2003 BMW X5
2008 BMW 328i sedan
2014 BMW 328i sedan

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Kelly -
Quote: PS: the snapon truck, the mac tool truck and the napa store owner never heard of whitworth tools. Makes me feel old. Found some tools online.

That doesn't surprise me, in fact I would have been surprised if they did (particularly the NAPA counter person). You can get a set of Whitworth spanners and even sockets from Moss Motors, Abingdon Spares and other parts vendors specializing in MGs. You should be able to find sets here http://www.mgauctionwatch.com/
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Sam Suffi Malcolm McConnachy
Littlehampton, West Sussex, UK   GBR
On the subject of old spanners, I binned all my Whitworth stuff years ago after I got rid of my old British bikes. So when I bought my TD earlier this year I had to find some tools pretty sharpish.
Luckily, very close to home is the old Ford WW2 aerodrome which has 3 car boot/antiques sales every week. There are always loads of old tools which only cost pennies.
Every time I go there I can't resist buying spanners, grease guns, oil cans etc. I've got all Whitworth sizes (open end, ring and box) and B.A, also got loads of BSF and BSP Taps and Dies.
My wife is now very wary of my enthusiasm to go to these boot sales.

Attachments:
DSC00138.JPG    65.9 KB
DSC00138.JPG

Cambren Avatar
Cambren Cambren Davis
Hernando Beach, FL, USA   USA
Lots of good deals on eBay for Whitworth tools.

The truth is like poetry.........most people hate poetry.

parrothead Avatar
parrothead Marshall Blackwelder
WOODBRIDGE, VA, USA   USA
When my engine was overhauled last winter, the shop honed the cylinders.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster