Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
I've revving up to build a Steve Baker Special on my '48 TC chassis. I've got a late TC/early TD engine (#10907). This is NOT going to be anything but a tribute car... an indulgence. You'll be kicked the the butt if you come near my car with a set of calipers looking for nit-picky inaccuracies.

I'm in need of a pair of carburetors. My question is, TC or (gasp) TD carbs? Will I end up frustrated (and/or broke) trying to find a TC pair or should I just plan on TDs at the outset? My preference is for a TD set, I've finally tamed the ones on my '53 TD.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
Do yourself a favor and get a set of 1 1/2"...used on both the TF and the MGA. Heck, put a blower on it and you will only need one. grinning smiley Change the head to the larger valves as well.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
TD carb bodies are less fragile, otherwise they are pretty much the same. But you'll need TC linkage bits. I'd stick with 1.25" unless you're really building it up. Air velocity is more important than quantity, unless the engine is modified to breath so heavily that it needs the added volume. Just my opinion of course.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3549423 by LaVerne Do yourself a favor and get a set of 1 1/2"...used on both the TF and the MGA. Heck, put a blower on it and you will only need one. grinning smiley Change the head to the larger valves as well.

Blower... maybe out front.

Yea... Chick Magnet.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
If putting a blower on then you'll need 1.5", maybe even 1.75" depending on the blower and the build. On a TC, the blower is best put under the bonnet. Works better there, too.

damnfingers Avatar
damnfingers Silver Member Gene Gillam
Saucier, Mississippi, USA   USA
In reply to # 3549515 by Steve S If putting a blower on then you'll need 1.5", maybe even 1.75" depending on the blower and the build. On a TC, the blower is best put under the bonnet. Works better there, too.

Agreed...

Attachments:
IMG_0005.JPG    56.9 KB
IMG_0005.JPG

Graeme1938 Avatar
Graeme1938 Graeme Louk
Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia   AUS
1958 Cooper 500/F3 Racecar "Cooper MG Monoposto"
If your going to build a special, why not make it very special and build a decent supercharged XPAG for it. Use a screw type supercharger so that you can run a reasonable amount of boost without heating the charge air too much and highish static compression so that it has some go coming out of corners when it doesn't have enough revs to have boost. Put a Hobbs switch on it and water/ methanol injection for the rare occasions it hits wide open throttle. Just because it's a 1930's design engine doesn't mean you have to employ 1930's thinking.
Regards to all.

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3552933 by Graeme1938 If your going to build a special, why not make it very special and build a decent supercharged XPAG for it. Use a screw type supercharger so that you can run a reasonable amount of boost without heating the charge air too much and highish static compression so that it has some go coming out of corners when it doesn't have enough revs to have boost. Put a Hobbs switch on it and water/ methanol injection for the rare occasions it hits wide open throttle. Just because it's a 1930's design engine doesn't mean you have to employ 1930's thinking.
Regards to all.

That sounds swell, but I'm not racing it. This will be a tribute car for car shows and club runs.

If I can afford it, I'll put a blower out front. Steve Baker is pricing this out for me.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Graeme1938 Avatar
Graeme1938 Graeme Louk
Ok. If money is tight (and who doesn't have to watch their pennies) and that's the intended use I wouldn't bother with a blower then. Just put the blower type front apron panel on it and have just the dash pot of a big SU sticking through the hole - then you have the look without the expense.

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3553299 by Graeme1938 Ok. If money is tight (and who doesn't have to watch their pennies) and that's the intended use I wouldn't bother with a blower then. Just put the blower type front apron panel on it and have just the dash pot of a big SU sticking through the hole - then you have the look without the expense.

The goal is to run the exhaust down the side of the car. This will require getting the SUs out of the way. An engine mounted blower will do it, a cross-flow head is a consideration also.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Richs TD Farm Richard Cameron
Columbia, Kentucky, USA   USA
If you decide to go with 1 1/2" SUs, I have a fellow TD enthusiast that just bought the correct Mark II TDC Carbs for his car. He previously had altered MGA Carbs on it that he might sell reasonably. Just let me know if your interested and I'll contact him.

Graeme1938 Avatar
Graeme1938 Graeme Louk
[/quote]
The goal is to run the exhaust down the side of the car. This will require getting the SUs out of the way. An engine mounted blower will do it, a cross-flow head is a consideration also.
[/quote]
Hey Mitchell,
You can have an under bonnet Blower and still run the exhaust down the side of the car. Look in TC's Forever at the John Blanden Special. The Blower on it is low mounted - this may require some fettling with steering and therefore not preferable. The Cooper MG (image attached) has a high mount Blower and exhaust passing under it and down the side. Belt driven blowers have a number of benefits over a Blower hard coupled and out the front.
It'll be easy enough to run SU's and an external exhaust so you'll get the cool visual you are after and it'll go pretty well because it should be nice and light.
Please keep the information and photo's coming when you are doing your build as I'm sure there'll be lots of interest.

Attachments:
IMG_5796.JPG    38.4 KB
IMG_5796.JPG

Mitchman2 Avatar
Yep. Super up top can be done. Putting 2 SUs there won't work, may need a cross-flow.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Attachments:
supercharger 1.jpg    45.6 KB
supercharger 1.jpg

erikxpag Avatar
erikxpag erik van hardeveld
Elst (Utr.), Utrecht, Netherlands   NLD
1938 MG TA
1952 MG TD
Hello,

For your interest I enclose two photo's of my MG TA special with TC engine.

It has a frontmounted Volumex supercharger and a crossflow cylinderhead.

It runs very well with lots of oomph......

Erik van Hardeveld
the Netherlands

Attachments:
IMG_20170523_114041.jpg    60.6 KB
IMG_20170523_114041.jpg

IMG_20170523_113835 (2).jpg    54.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Magnificent !
Good day, Thierry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster