AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Headlight assembly
  This topic is about my 1949 MG TC
aebreard Armand Breard
Monroe, Louisiana, USA   USA
Starting to assemble headlights for '49 TC. Need some help-starting with the rubber gasket-does it go onto the lens first or the outside headlight assembly first? Anyone done this who can help guide me through it? Any videos available? Armand

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
4295 Avatar
4295 Glenn Carpenter
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1947 MG TC "Greenie"
4295 Avatar
4295 Glenn Carpenter
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1947 MG TC "Greenie"
Check Utube From the frame up

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
aebreard Armand Breard
Thanks; it was most helpful.

Gord in Rockburn Avatar
Gord in Rockburn Gordon Clark
Hinchinbrooke, Rockburn, Qué., Canada   CAN
Armand,

The early TCs shipped to North America, were fitted with the 8" Lucas L140 headlamp and the only seal was a small seal BEHIND the reflector. This seal on the L140 is not shown is all catalogues, and was for me, difficult to find. (I found it in the B&G and the Anglo catalogues).

If your TC is an EXU model for North America in 1949, these later cars were fitted with the smaller 7" Lucas S700 headlamp, then parts are much easier (and less expensive) to find, as this headlamp was used on many British cars in the early 1950s - the TD being one example. The seals are referred-to as "dust excluders" and are found at most T-Series parts places (Abinghdon Spares, etc). For this S700 lamp, most catalogues do not show clearly, the position of this seal, and in fact, the "dust excluder" is shown as unique to the TF headlamp assembly. However, this dust excluder can also be mounted on the S700 lamp.

In this case, the dust excluder is fitted over the inner ring and immediately behind the outside rim.

The noticeably larger 8" L140 fitted to the original TC were often replaced - read ... "stolen" - with the (in my opinion) less attractive 7" S700 lamps, and a first-time owner didn't always notice. So your TC may not have the 8" Lucas L140 lamps. However a new pair is still available for a King's Ransom of £750 (YIKES!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 12:51 AM by Gord in Rockburn.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
This was an export to Ireland with the step down rim. I don't remember it as having any rim seal Gord.

Attachments:
bills TC 082_crop.jpg    47.5 KB
bills TC 082_crop.jpg

aebreard Armand Breard
Thank you; I now think I have the handle on it, as have fitted the rubber seal onto the headlight assembly; it is a late model TC with the 8" headlights. One of these had a bracket on the back of the reflector with a solenoid that moved the bulb socket
when dipped; I sent it to the Whitworth Shop in Ohio as a gift to Craig. Now waiting on the re-plated reflectors to arrive from shop & than will be able to fully assemble the lights.

Gord in Rockburn Avatar
... not quite. Re-read my message. If you have 8" L140s then you have a "Home Market" TC - one that was not intended for export to North America - a non-EXU car .. and there are quite a few on this side of the pond, as they came back with servicemen in the early 50s.

Be sure that your 'solenoid' model dips to the right. The Home Market TCs with solenoids, dipped left and would therefore dip into on-coming traffic in North America.

On TCs, the smaller S700 headlamps, such as found on TDs were fitted only to the EXU model TC, that was specifically made for the North America market which also had rear bumpers and a mirror fitted to the right windscreen pillar.

The L140 came into being somewhere around 1931 and was a standard Lucas offering. There is a whole range of interiors and lenses for the L140 for different markets, and Lucas even made an adoption for wartime (WWII) that had black shutters fitted so the enemy couldn't see cars on the road whilst doing their dastardly deed. I have several pairs (not for sale) and also a pair of L150s off an old Aston Martin. These lovely old headlamps certainly add class to a car, so take good care of them, as you certainly appear to be doing.

If you have DEEP pockets, all these lamps are available from Peter Appleyard in the UK - see http://vintage-headlamp-restoration.co.uk/lucas-l140/ . A pair of new L140 lamps can be had for the princely sum of

aebreard Armand Breard
Thanks for reply; the friend who owns this TC bought it from a gent in England, so it is a home market car with 8" lights & I guess the L140's. I sent the bracket with solenoid off to Craig Seabrook for all his help & advice. This TC has been in an unheated
& uncoolled warehouse for 30 years & I am just doing my best to get it up & running for him. It will not be a show car, and my pockets are empty at present!

Gord in Rockburn Avatar
Armand,

From the picture, these appear to be the L140 with the adapter for a 7" lamp. In the UK these were much less expensive to fit, even into an 8" bowl. Also, it meant that a sealed beam lamp could be fitted. If you want to save yourself a bucket of money, use these headlamps "as-is" with the step-down rim as you have shown.

Install a set of Sylvania H6024ST sealed beam lamps. These are available everywhere. I got a pair for my TF from Advance Auto for $26. Using the existing dipping solenoids is great if you want originality. But to just get the car on the road, try a set of these inexpensive, halogen sealed beam lamps.

gc

Gord in Rockburn Avatar
My apologies. It seems that LaVern provided the image of the L140 with the step-down ring.

That is one option available to you. I do have a pair of step-down rings for $60 if you need them.

GC

aebreard Armand Breard
Think I am OK; just waiting on the re-plated reflectors-and-if I live long enough the painted wings.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster