Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
I rebuilt the TD's SUs last night and took her for a spin. Some more fine tuning needed, but there is no sign of leakage.

I ordered a SU-PERDRY H bearing and seal kit from SU (WZX 1775) and I must say it's quite a departure from their normal set of seals and things.

Most notable is the 3 flexible seals are not cork, and are flat with a concentric ring on both surfaces. The seals' normally dished surfaces are flat, so you must change the internals that come in the kit, and the large gland nut and washer at the bottom is now a one-peice part receiving it's own newly designed seal.

Overall, I'm more optimistic about these seals than I am about cork.

The parts included are shown on this page:

SU-PERDRY kit

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'53 MGTD
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Thanks for sharing the info Mitchell. I might give them a try on my next set of carbs. Three sets of oil soaked corks have never sealed to my satisfaction. And I'm always dealing with drips

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Yes, I. agree, they seem to work well enough. Do you find as I do that the top of the jet is not level with top of the upper jet bearing and bridge? Before and after fitting the Superdry kit that is.
Dave H

perfectpitch Avatar
perfectpitch Charles Windsor (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
Why not try the teflon seals from any number of sources? Hard to imagine how beat up your bodies must be if the oiled cork seals are leaking.

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3514739 by perfectpitch Why not try the teflon seals from any number of sources? Hard to imagine how beat up your bodies must be if the oiled cork seals are leaking.

Moss sells "O" rings that use the original chamfered seal seats.

I've got brand new jets from SU. Only the bottom of the two on the jet needs to leak to be a nuisance. It will eventually drain the float bowl down to the level of the lower seal. That's enough to stink up the garage overnight. Being cork, the surface is inherently irregular and prone to irregular densities along its surface. Sometimes you'll get one that is smooth enough to seal, sometimes not, it's wood.

Man-made may have problems, but one of them will not be the surface irregularities associated with those of a seal made out of a hunk of tree bark.

C'mon, it's 2017, not 1933. Let's indulge ourselves a bit.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'53 MGTD
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3514671 by Buckdendave Yes, I. agree, they seem to work well enough. Do you find as I do that the top of the jet is not level with top of the upper jet bearing and bridge? Before and after fitting the Superdry kit that is.
Dave H

The new parts fit about the same as the last set of parts. I'll take a hard look tonight when I fine-tune the float levels again (ran out of time last night). Because there's a new bottom gland nut and jet riser nut both of which control the jet and upper jet bearing, my bowl settings may need to be tweaked.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'53 MGTD
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Healdsburg, CA, USA   USA
Mitch,

Good report on the Burlen product. Good find and something I will add to my notebook. When I rebuilt the carbs last summer, I first tried Viton o-rings on my 1950 TD...both carbs leaked gas like Niagara. Got a set of cork seals from MM and they have worked really well, with virtually no leakage that I can detect.

Given that carb seals have generated nearly as much discussion as motor oil on this forum (and others), I guess the best advice is to try one kit and if not satisfied, go to another. Luckily they are rather inexpensive (compared to other parts). My suspicion is that owners get different results with different kits based upon the age and model of their SUs.

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
I agree. Neither Viton nor Teflon seals would work for me, they both leaked. The cork was better, but slight weepage that I would rather be without. The Burlen seals appear to fix it completely.
Dave H

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster