AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

steering box fluid level
  This topic is about my 1955 MG TF 1500
BuilderBob228 Silver Member Robert Weinstein
Winnetka, Illinois, USA   USA
I have replaced a leaking boot over the inner tie rod. don't know how much oil is in there now. How much should i add? Is there a danger if overfilled?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Was the rack covered in oil when you took the old boot off? Remember it uses oil not grease.

When I did mine I assumed there was none left and added the prescribed amount, hasn't leaked any out anywhere. I got an oil gun on Ebay for a couple of bucks, worked fine. When you are finished stand it up in a can or drain it, they will leak if laid down.

After I filled it I turned steering lock to lock about 10 times with wheels in the air to distribute the oil around the rack.

My 02c worth.

Peter

BuilderBob228 Silver Member Robert Weinstein
Winnetka, Illinois, USA   USA
Peter
Thanks. I could not see inside the rack.
Robert

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
What I did was look at the shiny toothed bit (the rack) as I was replacing the boot, it was dry. Moved the steering so that the shiny bit was exposed.

Was the boot oily or was the oil long gone? My car had been in storage so boot was torn and dry

mattg Avatar
mattg Matthew Gresalfi
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA   USA
I've read people use Corn Head Grease.

Video Description

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
When I put mine back together after a complete strip down I tried to replace the felt seal where the pinion shaft enters but the new one disintegrated when I tried to reinsert the pinion. I put the old one back in and pumped in the recommended amount of oil. For a few days I was finding drips of oil under the shaft till it found its own level. I figure the felt seal arrangement could never withstand any pressure so must be there to prevent the ingress of dirt. Just to be make it a little more secure I wrapped a few turns of wool around the shaft and forced them into the tube with a piece of thin curved metal. It still won't stop excess oil coming out but should help to keep muck out.
I figure the pumping action of the gaiters will certainly move the oil around but overfilling is never going to be a problem - for very long.
Just my take on the arrangement.
Chris

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, ok, USA   USA
In reply to # 3495174 by mattg I've read people use Corn Head Grease.

Video Description

Use what the factory intended to be put in there, Oil, not grease. The new racks are mostly designed for special grease, but the original MG racks are designed for oil. If they leak out the oil, rebuild them. PJ

mattg Avatar
mattg Matthew Gresalfi
Some things have changed over the past 65 years. Do you still use straight 30W oil?

Paul J Avatar
Engine - 20/50, - steering rack - 90W, - rear- 90W, - transmission - 90W or modern equivalent multi grades. GL-4 type in transmission. I think I'm correct, that's what I'm running. PJ

I use Valvoline VR-1 in the engine and Red Line 90W in the transmission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 07:04 AM by Paul J.

mattg Avatar
mattg Matthew Gresalfi
So if you use other then factory fluids in your engine and gearbox why be against a better lubricant in the rack?

If the manual says to give 20 strokes of oil from a hand gun every 3,000 miles they expect it to leak. There is not a huge amount of oil in the rack and might not leak because there is no oil left to leak! The corn Head Type grease will at least leave some lubricant so you don't unknowingly drive it dry.

Some early car owners manuals say if it stops leaking oil or smoking from the exhaust add more oil.

Paul J Avatar
The WSM has been proven wrong before, but saying that, my steering rack does not leak a drop. The bellows on the ends will eventually crack due to poor quality rubber and cause them to leak, but a gentleman from Germany is manufacturing high quality bellows to prevent that. Bottom line, your car use whatever you want, but many have found out that grease in these old type racks is not the route to go. Nothing on these cars are maintenance free.
My rack,

Attachments:
New rad, frontend, shocks, air cleaners2a.jpg    59.6 KB
New rad, frontend, shocks, air cleaners2a.jpg

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
I've taken more than a couple of old racks apart that were pumped with grease. While better than nothing, the grease rarely lubricates the ball ends properly and if used for a long spell usually has wear at the center of the rack and becomes unusable without machining. The corn hole oil might or might not work but I know some 90 wgt gear oil will.

Attachments:
Bill's TF 327.JPG    40.6 KB
Bill's TF 327.JPG

Bill's TF 328.JPG    49.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bill's TF 330.JPG    30.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, Alabama, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
how would I contact the gentleman in Germany.? My boots are shredded.

In reply to # 3495626 by Paul J The WSM has been proven wrong before, but saying that, my steering rack does not leak a drop. The bellows on the ends will eventually crack due to poor quality rubber and cause them to leak, but a gentleman from Germany is manufacturing high quality bellows to prevent that. Bottom line, your car use whatever you want, but many have found out that grease in these old type racks is not the route to go. Nothing on these cars are maintenance free.
My rack,

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
I think you are looking for Declan Burns, he supplies a few hard to get parts. He's a regular here, just use the search bar.
Btw I am quite jealous being at least a year from driving my TF!
Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster