Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Healdsburg, CA, USA   USA
Automotive electronics (let alone any electronics) have never been my "long suit"...

When driving my 1950 TD (negative earth), the ammeter pretty much stays at "0" or just slightly to the right (positive). When I turn on the side lights, the needle jumps to the first mark on the positive side, I guess that would be about "5" If I turn on the headlights and/or the driving lights, the needle jumps to "15" positive and stays there (tested it this afternoon). How do I interpret this? Does this mean the lights are drawing 15 amps? If so, will this kill the charge on the battery? Is the generator not up to snuff (otherwise starts and runs very well)?

I usually do not drive the TD at night but eventually, I am sure I will. I want to make sure I will make it home and not be stuck at the side of the road with a dead battery.

Thanks, in advance, for the interpretations.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
It means the dynamo and regulator are doing their job. As you put a current draw against the battery such as honking the horn or turning on lights the regulator allows a greater charging rate. Similarly with the key on and the engine not running if you turn your lights on the amp meter will point to the negative side. The charging rate with the lights off should near zero once the battery has recharged from using the starter. I would say. No worries

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
If you turn on the lights when the engine is not running it should go to the negative side, when you are driving as Bill says it will go to the positive side. If it moves to the positive side as you increase RPM from idle you are good to go.

Remember to keep the "Lucas Smoke" contained.

Peter

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Healdsburg, CA, USA   USA
Thanks for the explanations. Nice to know that the old girl is running properly.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster