Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedo
healey.dan Dan C
Audubon, NJ, USA   USA
I have a working Speedometer in my TD but PO swapped out the original one which should have been mph for this one which is kph. I really want a mph but not sure if anyone out there has one. I could restore this one and get it recalibrated and and an mph dial painted on it, but that's a lot of bucks. Anyone have one? Any better ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD10971 Avatar
TD10971 Nelson K
long island, NY, USA   USA
.....the speedometer you have is a "keeper" MG sold very few cars with KPM speedometers and less made it to the USA

somebody must sell a replacement face with both KPM and MPH....

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
1952 MG TD
Dan,
My speedometer is a genuine MPH speedo but with a KPH dial. I gave the original MPH dial to a chap in the States as I don't need it here. Getting a MPH replacement dial or a KPH replacement dial is no problem. I know the guy who makes them and the quality is good-see photo of my KPH dial
We could arrange a speedo swop as I would like to have the odometer working in KPH too but after the driving season.
Regards
Declan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
KPH_dial.jpg    75.9 KB
KPH_dial.jpg

Declan Burns Avatar
1952 MG TD
And here's a photo of the replacement rev counter dial.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Rev counter_dial.jpg    58 KB
Rev counter_dial.jpg

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Hi Declan,
Can your contact supply faces for a TF tachometer and an amp/temp/oil gauge? And possibly a speedo face in KPH? I have an original MPH speedo but Australia converted to Kms years ago. I also have various 'bits' that I can probably cobble together to make up the bodies of the other two instruments. I am probably 18 months away from needing them but it will feel like progress if I have a set of instruments ready to drop in.
Regards,
Chris

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
Here's a photo of the dial on my original, early TD speedometer (no dipper light indicator). It appears that the reproduction omits the specifications on the originals.

Tom Lange
MGT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 04:56 PM by plus4moggie.

Attachments:
023.JPG    39.9 KB
023.JPG

healey.dan Dan C
Audubon, NJ, USA   USA
I was informed by Morris at West Valley Instrument that it is not a matter of changing the face. You need to recalibrate the gearing. It would be an expense I can't​ afford just now. Besides, I think my kph is probably very rare and/or desirable. I'd rather work a trade, I think. BTW I tried the Moss replica. It was horrible.

healey.dan Dan C
Audubon, NJ, USA   USA
I think Morris at West Valley can provide any kind of face you desire, but check with them. He did a terrific job on my tach.

Everyone's pics so far show dish face (later) speedometers. Here's mine. Early TD. 3206.Speedometer may even be the same as a TC?

Attachments:
IMG_20170420_113741821.jpg    35.7 KB
IMG_20170420_113741821.jpg

Declan Burns Avatar
1952 MG TD
Dan,
As far as I know the gearing only affects the odometer. The faces can be interchanged and the 80km/h on the KPH speedo is in the exact same position as the 50MPH on the KPH speedo. I checked this with a GPS when I replaced the dials.

Chris,
He does not do any dials for the TF-only TC and TD flat or dished and with or without the high beam. He also does really nice TC and TD clocks.

I am working on the graphics for the smaller gauges but I still need to check the final dial diameters and I also have a fuel sensor and gauge. I have the prototype tested on the bench with a paper dial. My mate, a printer, will make up a production dial prototype this week.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
SETJE-TC-TD-KPH-RPM_klkl.jpg    18.8 KB
SETJE-TC-TD-KPH-RPM_klkl.jpg

SETJE-TD-KPH-RPM_kl.jpg    34.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fuel gauge_7.jpg    27.2 KB
TD_small_dials_1.pdf    113.6 KB
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Hi Declan,
I would be keen to buy a blank, dished TD face with a high beam hole with the intention of playing around to produce something that at least looks like a TF tachometer. I have several MGB mechanisms that I would match it to. Is this a possibility?
Regards,
Chris

Declan Burns Avatar
1952 MG TD
Chris,
I will ask him and post his reply.
Regards
Declan

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, Ohio, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
Declan, is that a wrist watch in the tachometer pictured above? It looks pretty good in the picture.

Tim
TD12524

Declan Burns Avatar
1952 MG TD
Tim,
No it is not a wrist watch. The guy who makes the dials also makes those clocks. They are really nice and are battery operated. There is a small tube on the back of them like a cigar tube that contains an AA battery and easy to replace. If it didn't have the second hand it would be difficult to tell that it is a repro. He also does clocks for the TC but not for the TF.
I make the TD dished face clocks with the insert (not wrist watch) clocks but they don't look as good as the Dutch clock above.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Declan_Burns_replacement_clock_MG_TD.JPG    35.2 KB
Declan_Burns_replacement_clock_MG_TD.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 MG TF 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links