Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedo
healey.dan Dan C
Audubon, NJ, USA   USA
I have a working Speedometer in my TD but PO swapped out the original one which should have been mph for this one which is kph. I really want a mph but not sure if anyone out there has one. I could restore this one and get it recalibrated and and an mph dial painted on it, but that's a lot of bucks. Anyone have one? Any better ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD10971 Avatar
TD10971 Nelson K
long island, NY, USA   USA
.....the speedometer you have is a "keeper" MG sold very few cars with KPM speedometers and less made it to the USA

somebody must sell a replacement face with both KPM and MPH....

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Dan,
My speedometer is a genuine MPH speedo but with a KPH dial. I gave the original MPH dial to a chap in the States as I don't need it here. Getting a MPH replacement dial or a KPH replacement dial is no problem. I know the guy who makes them and the quality is good-see photo of my KPH dial
We could arrange a speedo swop as I would like to have the odometer working in KPH too but after the driving season.
Regards
Declan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
KPH_dial.jpg    75.9 KB
KPH_dial.jpg

Declan Burns Avatar
And here's a photo of the replacement rev counter dial.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Rev counter_dial.jpg    58 KB
Rev counter_dial.jpg

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Hi Declan,
Can your contact supply faces for a TF tachometer and an amp/temp/oil gauge? And possibly a speedo face in KPH? I have an original MPH speedo but Australia converted to Kms years ago. I also have various 'bits' that I can probably cobble together to make up the bodies of the other two instruments. I am probably 18 months away from needing them but it will feel like progress if I have a set of instruments ready to drop in.
Regards,
Chris

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
Here's a photo of the dial on my original, early TD speedometer (no dipper light indicator). It appears that the reproduction omits the specifications on the originals.

Tom Lange
MGT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 04:56 PM by plus4moggie.

Attachments:
023.JPG    39.9 KB
023.JPG

healey.dan Dan C
Audubon, NJ, USA   USA
I was informed by Morris at West Valley Instrument that it is not a matter of changing the face. You need to recalibrate the gearing. It would be an expense I can't​ afford just now. Besides, I think my kph is probably very rare and/or desirable. I'd rather work a trade, I think. BTW I tried the Moss replica. It was horrible.

healey.dan Dan C
Audubon, NJ, USA   USA
I think Morris at West Valley can provide any kind of face you desire, but check with them. He did a terrific job on my tach.

Everyone's pics so far show dish face (later) speedometers. Here's mine. Early TD. 3206.Speedometer may even be the same as a TC?

Attachments:
IMG_20170420_113741821.jpg    35.7 KB
IMG_20170420_113741821.jpg

Declan Burns Avatar
Dan,
As far as I know the gearing only affects the odometer. The faces can be interchanged and the 80km/h on the KPH speedo is in the exact same position as the 50MPH on the KPH speedo. I checked this with a GPS when I replaced the dials.

Chris,
He does not do any dials for the TF-only TC and TD flat or dished and with or without the high beam. He also does really nice TC and TD clocks.

I am working on the graphics for the smaller gauges but I still need to check the final dial diameters and I also have a fuel sensor and gauge. I have the prototype tested on the bench with a paper dial. My mate, a printer, will make up a production dial prototype this week.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
SETJE-TC-TD-KPH-RPM_klkl.jpg    18.8 KB
SETJE-TC-TD-KPH-RPM_klkl.jpg

SETJE-TD-KPH-RPM_kl.jpg    34.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fuel gauge_7.jpg    27.2 KB
TD_small_dials_1.pdf    113.6 KB
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Hi Declan,
I would be keen to buy a blank, dished TD face with a high beam hole with the intention of playing around to produce something that at least looks like a TF tachometer. I have several MGB mechanisms that I would match it to. Is this a possibility?
Regards,
Chris

Declan Burns Avatar
Chris,
I will ask him and post his reply.
Regards
Declan

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, Ohio, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
Declan, is that a wrist watch in the tachometer pictured above? It looks pretty good in the picture.

Tim
TD12524

Declan Burns Avatar
Tim,
No it is not a wrist watch. The guy who makes the dials also makes those clocks. They are really nice and are battery operated. There is a small tube on the back of them like a cigar tube that contains an AA battery and easy to replace. If it didn't have the second hand it would be difficult to tell that it is a repro. He also does clocks for the TC but not for the TF.
I make the TD dished face clocks with the insert (not wrist watch) clocks but they don't look as good as the Dutch clock above.

Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Declan_Burns_replacement_clock_MG_TD.JPG    35.2 KB
Declan_Burns_replacement_clock_MG_TD.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster