AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Unidentified material
  This topic is about my 1952 MG TD MkII
22044 Wout Ram
Heusden, NB, Netherlands   NLD
Recently I started to rebuild my MG TD after I completely disassembled it and restored all the individual parts for over a year.

I have two questions:

– There was some unidentified material between the chassis frame and the cockpit at the 8 mounting points. Upon removal they looked like pieces of felt or cork, a few millimeters thick, that had been heavily compressed for a long time. The material is not flexible anymore, it breaks as soon as you bent it.
You won´t find this item on any of the exploded view drawings that the main TD parts suppliers publish. Can someone help me out what this material is and where it can be bought?

– There was a roughly 1 inch wide black strip, that remotely looked like felt, between the odd shaped metal strip that runs in the cockpit from under the door all the way to the rear of the car (in Moss terms FRAME, body/chassis part-number 450-735) and the rear wing.
You won´t find this roughly 1 inch wide and a few millimeters thick black strip on any of the exploded view drawings that the main TD parts suppliers publish. Can someone help me out what this material is and where it can be bought?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Paul755 Paul H
Clifton, Virginia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
For the body to frame packing pieces, I used a linoleum floor tile cut into squares. This was also used to adjust the body to get the doors fit correctly in the opening. My TD had a couple under the rear body to frame mounting that would have lowered the door in the opening.
There was a felt strip between the frame rails and the plywood floor. That included the floor rails that that also support the gearbox cover and prop shaft cover. I replaced it with black felt. The same stuff used to line the side curtain compartment. My TD had not been touched, so I presume it was like that from the factory.

buscar Avatar
buscar Silver Member Carlo Busato
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
1953 MG TD
You most probably don't want to use felt in the future because it tends to hold water and will rust out the panel. On my TD it was an amazing coincidence that the inner rear fenders(and fuel tank) rusted exactly to the shape of the felt strips ! I intend to use either thin rubber strips or just use seam sealer out of a tube.

Cheers

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster