1950 mgtd barn find

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sebs1 Martin Buckingham
Caddington, beds, UK   GBR
im tryng my best to find out anything about this car, nick the andrex bracket has bill welded after the chassis bracket, just the same as the one in bills photo , nick and bill thank you so much for you input its been valuable and i will keep you updated if i find out anymore,cheers martin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Sam Suffi Malcolm McConnachy
Littlehampton, West Sussex, UK   GBR
Good evening everyone, I've just joined the Forum today.

My name is Malcolm I'm a retired Chartered Engineer living in Littlehampton on the South Coast of England.
I've been restoring motorcycles most of my life, but as one gets older 4 wheels become more appealing.

The reason I'm resurrecting this thread is that I am now the proud owner of NUB 560. I recently acquired it from Martin, I don't think he'll mind me saying that the car is going to need a lot of time to get it back into shape, time which Martin does not have due to his business commitments.

I'd also like to echo Martin's thanks for all the advice/information that members have contributed to the thread.

I'm new to MG's (apart from having an MGA for a few years in the 70's) so I apologise in advance for any erroneous comments I may make.

I've been working on the car for a couple of weeks now,mainly removing redundant electrical equipment, wiring, floor panels, etc.

Yesterday, I removed the carburetors for overhaul and found some more information which may help identifying the car, the carburetors are 1-1/4 inch, but the inlet manifold (on the block) is 1-1/2 inch, the carburetor inlet manifold is 1-3/8 inch. Would a normal TD have the 1-1/2 inch manifold? Why would anyone remove the 1-1/2 inch carbs to fit the smaller ones?

Next is the dashboard, whilst the inner dash has been butchered to install additional switches, the front dash looks original as the covering fabric has very neat finishing where goes through the holes. The central section contains 4 gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature, ammeter), the ignition switch and the horn/dip switch are to the right of the steering wheel (RHD set up). I've looked at quite a few photos on the internet but haven't found one showing the same arrangement.

I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the restoration (not an OTT one), plan is to get it roadworthy for this summer, next winter maybe some bodywork, but I don't want to destroy the "patina" of the car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments:
P1020841.JPG    42.7 KB
P1020841.JPG

P1020837.JPG    40.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1020844.JPG    42.5 KB
P1020845.JPG    45.1 KB
Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
In looking at the original engine pictures, I noted the ID tag is square. Is that indicative of the low build number? I have a 50 TD and it has the octagonal ID on the engine. Also, what is the other brass tag in the middle lower of the block?

Bruce E. Cunha

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Bruce the square tags I believe indicate that it was a Gold Seal replacement engine. Very common back in the day. MG dealers would have rebuilt engines in stock for one day R&R turn arounds

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
One tag says that it is a factory replacement engine, and the other gives the rebuild specs.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, yes, the square plate identifies the replacement engine and the rectangular plaque behind the exhaust pipe shows the specification of the replacement engine.

For NUB 560, (chassis TD 1166) the original engine was XPAG/TD/1566, the replacement engine is TD C 26093, which looks like it was originally 16431 (from the stamping above the plate).

Attachments:
P1020852.JPG    47.3 KB
P1020852.JPG

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
Thanks. As always. Learning more stuff I did not know.

Bruce E. Cunha

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
A couple of points: XPAG/TD2/16431 was originally fitted to TD16068, and there is no record in the Production Records of the engine ever being removed from any car as being faulty. I have no evidence to show how or when it got back into BMC stocks to be put into your car, but I assume it is the same TD2 engine.

Your engine is a Morris (Hotchkiss plant) replacement, not a Gold Seal/MOWOG rebuild. Gold Seal engines began in 1958, I think; .Morris-rebuilt engines would be earlier.

Also, the "C" before the replacement engine number does NOT mean it is a TD/C engine; I seem to remember that one of our UK friends noted once that the source of the engine would be represented by the letter - A is TB/TC, B is TD, C is Y-type. But this original "C" engine number of 16431 matches a TD engine not a Y-type, so this suggested lettering pattern may well be incorrect. I have also seen D and E lettered-engines, which I have not identified - TF perhaps?

So much more to learn!

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
It was mentioned that the R-H bonnet panel is MkII. Just a thought, can you spot the original paint colour beneath the ivory respray on both that panel and the body tub to see if they match? Should be a chip or a scratch somewhere.

Matthew.

Thanks Tom for the info about the engine.

Matthew, regarding the original colour of the right hand bonnet panel, it seems original and matches the ivory colour of the rest of the car.

If only the guy who bought the car in 2006 had bothered to get the paperwork from the original owner the mystery would have been solved.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster