MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NVAKeith Keith F
Alexandria, Virginia, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
Brought it home! My Dad's TD for the last 40 years has been passed down to my son and I. Looking forward to making more memories with it!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1034.JPG    57.4 KB
IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG    61.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
Congratulations. Nice looking car.

Bruce E. Cunha

bobbygee Avatar
bobbygee Silver Member bobby galvez
Round Rock, Texas, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Duckie Tee"
1979 MG MGB "Duckie Too"
In reply to # 3581885 by NVAKeith Brought it home! My Dad's TD for the last 40 years has been passed down to my son and I. Looking forward to making more memories with it!

Good looking TD! Here's wishing you and your son many happy years, many miles and many smiles with it.

MG smileys with beer

BobbyG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldMGguy Avatar
oldMGguy Dick Mason
Florence, Oregon, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
OK, XPAG experts, I need your advice on a seemly fuel-starvation issue while accelerating and shifting to higher gears ...

Details: TD #6961 with original engine. Just re-built cylinder head, new mild Crane cam, Pertronix ignitor, 3-year old Moss supercharger with single H4 carb. Engine ran GREAT until I re-torqued the cylinder head, reset the valve lash from .018-.020 down to .015-.016 due to unacceptable valve clatter (the .018-.020 is the recommended setting with the Crane cam). I also removed the carb suction dome and piston for their annual wipe-down as the piston will start to stick after a few months. Very careful to not touch needle, no sign of rubbing on any of the carb parts. New fuel filter and fresh premium fuel.

Now on a cold start (right away and smooth idle), the engine stalls whilst shifting gears from 1-2, 2-3. Nothing happens when pressing the go-faster pedal until I re-close the throttle then slowly open it again. Problem can be avoided by keeping the throttle open while shifting gears or pulling the choke out again. Problem goes away once the engine is at operating temperature.

I've triple-checked the carb suction piston/dome/spring/plunger for correct and complete assembly, jet assembly centered per drop-click test. Timing is spot-on and mixture set to mid-transition from yellow (rich) to blue with the Color-Tune see-through spark plug kit. The fuel pump is an aftermarket Facat brand electric pump which seems to be operating normally. The Moss supercharger setup features a single new H4 SU carb with no vacuum bleeds/ports.

Any suggestions?? Problem did not start until I re-torqued the cylinder head and cleaned the carb.

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Reset the valve clearances to the specified values and live with the clatter, you are strangling it.
Dave H

oldMGguy Avatar
oldMGguy Dick Mason
1951 MG TD
Reset the valve lash to .018. No change to engine stall with snap acceleration issue. :-(
Since the engine runs well at highway rpms and accelerates nicely (for a TD), I'm thinking fuel pressure/volume from a dying electric aftermarket fuel pump is not the cause. Idle rpm set at 1200. Any ideas?

In reply to # 3583036 by Buckdendave Reset the valve clearances to the specified values and live with the clatter, you are strangling it.
Dave H

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
I assume you are using the choke when it's cold? What do the plugs look like?

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
All I can add is to check for an induction air leak, that the fuel level in the float bowl is correct and that the fuel inlet valve is not sticky.
Dave H

oldMGguy Avatar
oldMGguy Dick Mason
1951 MG TD
Woo-hoo! Problem found. 'Tis amazing what havoc a teeny tiny sliver of mis-placed gasket material can cause. After a deep dive into SU design and operating theory, I dismantled the carb one more time looking for anything that would dump the low pressure above the suction piston. I found a really tiny sliver of cork gasket material had "flowed" from the carb face-air cleaner plate and was barely in the mating surface between the carb base and the suction chamber dome. Although smashed very flat by previous re-assemblies, that was enough to mess with the pressure differentials.

Removed the material and I'm now once again out there drag-racing the motor homes and RVs clogging up the Oregon Coast Highway. Not to mention I now have the cleanest SU carb in the Western Hemisphere! Life is good ... smileys with beer

In reply to # 3583705 by Buckdendave All I can add is to check for an induction air leak, that the fuel level in the float bowl is correct and that the fuel inlet valve is not sticky.
Dave H

MGACharlie Avatar
MGACharlie Silver Member Charlie Adams
Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII
1955 MG TF
1962 MG MGA MkII "Red"
Well done...interesting problem and great to know what had caused the problem.

fireman435 David Trapp
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
Installing the Moss interior kit! Not too bad but quite a bit of work!

Attachments:
IMG_0571.JPG    51.6 KB
IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG    46.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Very nice.
I used the Moss interior kit in red in my TC back over 30 years ago and it was easy and looked great......I'm sure your finished job will be the same.

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, Connecticut, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
Make sure you feed the leather surfaces well and often, Mine have not fared very well -- 14 years of very light use.

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, Connecticut, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
Either I drove to a sheep farm in Scotland or 150 yards down our road. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Attachments:
IMG_0059.JPG    47.4 KB
IMG_0059.JPG

Bald Eagle Avatar
Bald Eagle Mike Tooke
Santa Paula, California, USA   USA
1947 MG TC "Eleanor"
1947 MG TC
1967 MG MGB
2008 Scion xB "The Silver Brick"
Popped for a tonneau cover for the TC. A little spendy for an old man living on Social Security and eating cat food to survive, but a very worthwhile investment.

Attachments:
Tonneau_Cropped-LR.jpg    38.2 KB
Tonneau_Cropped-LR.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster