MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skygod Avatar
Skygod Gold Member Brad Purvis
Toano, Virginia, USA   USA
1946 MG TC
1953 MG TD MkII "Cissy"
Yesterday morning I took the TC over to a local restoration shop owned by two brothers. They have a lot of experience with MGs, including Tickford restorations, but theses days they concentrate on high end Cadillacs, Packards, Dusenburgs, etc., fro the 20's & 30's.

I was quite pleased with the initial reaction to the car and although it has probably been thirty years since the resto, it has held up very well. One of the brothers pointed out a number of things properly done during this particular restoration, which area apparently oft overlooked or disregarded because they are hidden. So I ended up leaving their shop feeling rather chuffed.

Then it was off to the local petrol station, about 12 miles up the road, for some Ethanol free 90 Octane go juice. When I got home I was able to spend a bit of time doing some initial cleaning. The paint is showing its age, but still very good overall, although it is going to take some deep reconditioning to be at its best.

Later a ordered a new "improved" speedometer pinion housing from Doug @ FTFU, along a new set of cooling system hoses and clamps because the current ones have seen better days.

Later it was off to show the car off at my "local" where a small number of us gather on Thursdays for an "organizational meeting" to which we euphemistically refer to as Wise Old Winos to discuss just about anything automotive. There were a lot of positive remarks, rides were given and smiles all around. Not too bad a day, if you ask me.

Two sampling the fit below:

If you don't know where you are going, any road can take you there.

Brad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 10:15 AM by Skygod.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_5779.JPG    53.5 KB
IMG_5779.JPG

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Glad you getting a lot of positive feedback on your TC. Enjoy the car I. The spirit it was intended.

Safety Fast

Bill Chasser

bobastor Avatar
bobastor BOB ASTOR
York, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1947 MG TC "Not Yet"
Drove along with an eclectic group of British cars from York, PA to the Lutz's home Mt Joy.
After dinner and much conversation, there was heavy weather on the radar so we headed home.
As they say in the society a good time was had by all.
TC 3837 drove like she was glad to be out on the open road.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TC3837.jpg    59.9 KB
TC3837.jpg

bobastor Avatar
bobastor BOB ASTOR
York, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1947 MG TC "Not Yet"
That is TC 3837 peaking out from between a "B" and a Spridget.

fireman435 David Trapp
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
TF 1500 engine going together with the expert help of Mr. Jim Pesta! As soon as it is done, into the chassis!

Attachments:
IMG_0388.JPG    50.6 KB
IMG_0388.JPG

oily-hands Avatar
oily-hands Owen Frankland
Stockton on Tees, Cleveland, UK   GBR
1937 MG TA "Numbum"
1971 MG MGB GT "The Bruise"
Some days it's best not to start. A bit of a rant.

I had a couple of hours free before SWMBO decided we had to go out so I set to to put the cylinder head back on. All went well until I put the rocker shaft back on.

Because the head been skimmed a lot there are shims under the rocker pedestals and they are a bit of a pain to line up for the bolts. I got the bolts in eventually and reached for the torque wrench and saw the pushrods. Off with the rocker shaft and start again.

That job done I decided to tighten up the three sleeve nuts on the side cover while I remembered. The front one snapped well before it was anywhere near tight. Off with the cover and remove the broken bit. I'm sure I have some spares but I couldn't find them so decided to use the two I had left on the front and back leaving the centre for the new one that I'll order on Monday. With the generator where it is it was about 2mmm too close to the cover to go over the threads.

Hey Ho. Slacken off the generator, remove the belt and move the generator out of the way. Fasten up the side cover and refit and tension the fan belt.

At this point I closed the garage door and put the kettle on.

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Take the time to understand what a part does and how it does it, then you'll have a better understanding of how to fix it when it goes wrong. Beats the scattergun approach every time.

Ignition testing made easy.

Making your MGB handbrake work

My You Tube Channel

Life with an MG TA and an MGB GT in the UK.

Our charity drive in our 1937 MGTA

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
We've all had days like that I suspect (too many of them). The head on my XPAG has been skimmed, so
I shortened the pushrods, I don't know if its an option on the TA or not. If so you could dispense with the troublesome shims.
Dave H

parrothead Avatar
parrothead Marshall Blackwelder
WOODBRIDGE, VA, USA   USA
I took the TD for a ride up the George Washington Parkway that runs along the shore of the scenic Potomac river. Drove down the main drag, King Street to see what was happening. I got a lot of lookers, and the homeless guy on Union Street asked, "What is that?" So I stopped and told him it's an MG TD from 1952. We chatted about the car for a few minutes. I opened the bonnet to show him the engine.

I found out he was a Marine who fought on multiple tours in Iraq. Now he has chronic PTSD so bad, he can only sleep two hours between horrific dreams. I shh his hand, said, "Thank you for your service and your sacrifice"as I slipped a $20 bill in his hand. He looked at the $20 and gave me a big hug. He didn't smell like booze, and I didn't see needle tracks in his arm.

I wish I had a job for him.

Erick Blackwelder
Northern Virginia
'52 TDC
'99 BMW M3 convertible
'99 BMW M3 sedan
2001 BMW 325 xiT
2004 BMW 325 XiT

parrothead Avatar
parrothead Marshall Blackwelder
WOODBRIDGE, VA, USA   USA
I drove from my home near George Washington's Mt Vernon estate to Arlington National Cemetery. I schmoozed the guard to let me drive up to the memorial wall at the base of a Arlington. Then I took a spin through Old Town Alexandria.

Attachments:
IMG_0686.JPG    58 KB
IMG_0686.JPG

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, Alabama, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Well, not today, but two days ago I drove my tub over to my MG garage at our cabin we bought for it's dock. We'll flip the canin and keep the dock and garage!

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Saturday I fitted my Luggage Rack, looks nice.

For my birthday my wife bought me an antique suitcase, now to find some straps, looks like a couple of men's belts will be the go.

Peter

Attachments:
IMG_2400.JPG    53 KB
IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG    47 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA   USA
Peter I have a suggestion. I bought one set of straps that fit all the cars - 356, TR3, TR6 and MG TD. They were very reasonable and superb quality. They were made by a saddle maker. Dusty Johnson Pleasant Valley Saddle Shop. If you need measurements ask.

If he is not in business anymore. I suggest you either contact your local 356 club. As you can see they are a great source for these.

Look at the picture below and you will see I had them made so they can be adjusted for all the cars. They work great and I just use saddle soap to keep them clean and put leather preserver that I use on my leather seats to preserve them. Bridle leather wears like iron.

Forgive the table top, it is my agility training table.

Joe

Attachments:
image.jpeg    32.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    48.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, Alabama, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
I gad them on my TF. They wore through the paint.

peter14222 Avatar
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
The straps will be touching the chrome on the rack, not the paint.

peter14222 Avatar
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
I found Dusty's website, can you give the length of the straps please so I can see if a standard set will do.

I have to get the wife's tape measure and check how long I need.

Thanks.

Peter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster