MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory?
Take it out for a drive on some charming back roads?

What did YOU do with your MG TC, MG TD, MG TF today?

Post your update below......

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Jack Long Avatar
Forest Hill, Maryland, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "Harriet"
1974 MG MGB "Lucy"
Not today, but last Sunday was fairly warm and dry and I had both the TF and the B out for some recreation. The TF did not want to start after sitting a month. I need to run her more frequently. The B started on the first crank as always, it is the Toyota Corolla of vintage cars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Healdsburg, CA, USA   USA
With the great (but very dry) weather we have been having in Northern California, I've been able to take my 1950 TD out virtually every day for a drive through Wine Country back roads. Love it!!

Yas54TF Avatar
Yas54TF Peter Yaskowski
Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1974 MG MGB GT
Had to replace a broken starter cable which snapped at the knob shaft Saturday before Christmas. This was the second time in the last six months. First repair was with SS cable silver soldered in to the knob shaft, must have been too brittle from the heat. Used bicycle brake cable this time with regular solder. Still too cold or wet here in this neck of the woods to get out for a ride.

Peter

Solexman Avatar
Solexman Geoff Scott
Trentham, Victoria, Australia   AUS
On Christmas day the Clutch Rod broke on my 1953 Mk11 TDC whilst my son was going for a drive.
After reading Mike O'Connor's excellent article on fixing and improving this design weakness, I decided to carry out these mods, the improvement was impressive and clutch now operates much more smoothly and is not likely to fail again. During the pull down I noticed a leak from the Brake master cylinder so I took this out and had it re-sleeved in S/Steel. I finished putting it all back together and today carried a very successful road test through the hills in our area. A big thank you to Mike for his great advice.
Best wishes to all, Geoff Scott

Attachments:
MG TD Photos 004.JPG    51.1 KB
MG TD Photos 004.JPG

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Great photo Geoff! And thanks for the tip on the clutch rod, I'll look into that.

Skye

Member Services:
parkerg1 Avatar
parkerg1 Gary Parker
Grand Island, Ne., USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1961 Triumph TR3A
1998 BMW Z3
We finally got a break from the weather today. Thursday we had a 64 MPH wind, and cold. Yesterday it was warmer, but still a 60 MPH wind. Today it's beautiful, 65 degrees, and very little wind. That's living in Nebr. Fired up the TD after setting for 2 months. Started on the first turn. Took it for a nice ride, to the park, and walked around the lake. Tomorrow back to the 30's. Got a car show in Feb. Hope we have another nice weekend. Not going to take it out in the snow.

Gary

gwnorth Gold Member Tom Moore
Bolton Ouest, Quebec, Canada   CAN
1955 MG TF 1500
1972 MG MGB
It's -25C here today, burned a lot of stove oil in the garage and didn't get far with completing engine strip on my TF1500. Just crank and rods left to pull but got too cold and hungry. Made it into the house without the wolves getting me.
Anyone got a "like-new" camshaft for a TD/TF?

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
-25C yikes. I forget how good we have it out here grinning smiley

Member Services:
parrothead Avatar
parrothead Marshall Blackwelder
WOODBRIDGE, VA, USA   USA
I'm in Virginia where we just had a snow storm, followed by temperatures in the teens and single digits. So I put the battery charger on the battery on trickle charge to keep some life in the battery.

gwnorth Gold Member Tom Moore
Bolton Ouest, Quebec, Canada   CAN
1955 MG TF 1500
1972 MG MGB
Warmed up to a mere -20C and was able to finish most of the engine strip on my TF1500. Makes you wonder what happens to an engine over 59 years.
-crankshaft journals standard, excellent condition. Bearings show some freckly pitting but could be re-used if you had to
-pistons and bores are standard, 3 are 3-ring, 1 is 4-ring
-cylinder bores unmarked, look good, haven't measured yet
-camshaft lobes and tappets are very badly worn/pitted. All scrap
-clutch PP appears new(3-finger type, not modern diaphragm-type),disc unworn, PP bolted to flywheel with 2 locating dowels misplaced ie not positioned where the dowel holes are
-combustion chambers and head look good, except for #1 exhaust port which was full of seeds, left by mouse.
-only moderate wear on rocker arm faces, haven't stripped rocker shaft

oily-hands Avatar
oily-hands Owen Frankland
Stockton on Tees, Cleveland, UK   GBR
1937 MG TA "Numbum"
1971 MG MGB GT "The Bruise"
I spent about an hour fighting with rusted nuts to remove a broken shock absorber mount. As it's NLA it's off to the welder next week for repair.

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Take the time to understand what a part does and how it does it, then you'll have a better understanding of how to fix it when it goes wrong. Beats the scattergun approach every time.

Ignition testing made easy.

Making your MGB handbrake work

My You Tube Channel

Life with an MG TA and an MGB GT in the UK.

Our charity drive in our 1937 MGTA

jchapin3 Avatar
jchapin3 Judson Chapin
Landrum, SC, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Left this morning from Gowensville, SC (just south of Landrum) - temp 40 F (4.4 C), hood down (heck, I don't have a hood but what the hey!) and headed up the Saluda grade for lunch with 7 other LBC drivers including a beautiful 59 MGA Coupe and a nice dark blue MG. From there over to the east of Hendersonville for a wine tasting and then back down US 176 through Tryon to the barn. Bright sun and up to 51F (10.5 C) on the return leg. Icicles as big as your arm hanging from the rock outcroppings. Just glorious!

Jud

patgarity Pat Garity
San Diego, USA   USA
1950 MG TD "NUB"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Rusty"
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Mellow Yellow"
While waiting for the reamer I need to open up the holes in my rods a bit to accept the new ARP bolts I sorted and loaded up the stuff that needs to go to the machine shop for a balance and a new front cam bearing.......And sent an e-mail to my aunt in Nebraska about her trip to California to escape the cold!

gingan2000 Avatar
gingan2000 Roderick Padilla
Shorewood, USA   USA
1932 Harley-Davidson Touring
1953 MG TD "MGTD"
1953 MG TD
2000 Jaguar XKR Convertible "Red Cat"    & more
It was below zero this morning. There are a few 4' snow drifts from the shed to the gate, then more snow to the street, and the gate is frozen to the ground. The salt all over the streets make it a no-go anyway, so the TD and the XKR will be in hibernation until April. But I have a couple of Harleys that can be awakened on short notice should the streets ever dry up and the temp get to the '50's.

Attachments:
P1010065.JPG    35.9 KB
P1010065.JPG

HD Otre front-rt.JPG    37.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster