T-Series & Prewar Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Need som info on my TD

Posted by Mr Gerbik 
Josh S
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   usa

I bought a 1951 MG TD a little over a year ago. In checking the authenticity of the cars color (clipper blue) i noticed the cars numbers start with TD/C. I remember reading somewhere that this was like a competition package. Reading further today tells me (if im not mistaken) that the TD/C denotes a MK II. The car however does not have the dual fuel pumps nor space for a second one. I recall reading that some of the MK II cars were built to customer spec and some only had a better clutch. There is not too much on the MKII and most sites just repeat the others so i would appreciate any help. Is there a site i can check serial numbers and color codes?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB

Contact this fellow. I can think of know one better versed on the MK II. I know he owns several and is compiling data on them.

http://www.mgtrepair.net/

There was no data on the colors of the cars that left the factory until the TF model and then it was included in the car number.
The sure fire give away on a MK II car is a bulge in the hood side panel on the carb side. Same as the one on the generator side. It was put there for the larger carbs. The MK II got 1 /2" SU's instead of the 1 /4" the rest of the TDs got. Along with larger valves, additional dampers (Andrex) mounted along with the stock ones. The car would have had an additional fuel pump and an additional fuel line running from the tank using the drain plug that was used on a stock TD. Some came with a MK II plinth mounted to the rear bumper but not all. The second pump gets mounted beside the one on the tool box with additional brackets. Some had chrome grille slats instead of interior color. Also got a black and white badge and a large black and white one on the spare hub cap. I have one on mine but its not a MK II.

Picture here is one of a friend of mine that lives in Mo.

I see I forgot to mention the MK II badging on the hood side panels as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 09:36PM by LaVerne.

Attachments:
2012 GOF and trip 355.JPG (58.9 KB) –
2012 GOF and trip 355.JPG

2012 GOF and trip 356.JPG (57.9 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
Josh S
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   usa

There is only 1 fuel pump and it has no MARK II badges, The only evidence i am going off on is that it gas the TD/C serial number. Could be a poorly researched restoration job?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

Josh - You can start by looking at the right front dumb iron (frame extension), just under the fender mounting flange and see if the number there matches the car number on the maker's plate. The 1951 MK II did not have any badges as the later cars have. As for the dual fuel pumps, look on the scuttle (firewall) just to the left of the existing fuel pump and see if there are two empty holes there (they might be filled with a couple of hex head bolts), if the holes or the bolts are on the sloped portion of the scuttle, then that was for the second pump. The MK II also has 1 1/2" carbs as opposed to the 1 1/4" carbs on the standard TD. The extra bump on the right bonnet panel and the Mark II medallions were added in 1952. The MK II also had additional friction shocks for all four wheels, but those could have been removed some time earlier. E-mail me at SUfuelpumps@donobi.net and I can send you a scan of the pages on the MK II from the T Series Handbook. Cheers - Dave

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Josh S
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   usa

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna take some pics when i get off of work. I gave it a quick look last night and again i dont see how it would be possible to fit the extra fuel pump on the existing firewall but i may be wrong. ill give it a good look over tonight. i must confess i am not terribly mechanical (though the car is easy enough to work on) so i don't know where the "right front dumb iron (frame extension), just under the fender mounting flange" is located. If you could give me an idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 09:25AM by Mr Gerbik.
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne Downey
1952 MG TD
1969 MG MGB

I think Dave was standing in front of the cargrinning smiley The number is stamped on the left (when sitting in the seat) front dumb iron. Frame extension might be a better description. It's the piece of metal that with the round openings that the steering rack passes through and the bumper bolts to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 09:40AM by LaVerne.

Attachments:
d.JPG (57.8 KB) –
d.JPG

P1010009.JPG (78.1 KB) –
Dan Craig
Missouri, USA   usa
1953 MG TD MkII "Margaret"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Michael"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "McGregor"
1986 Jaguar XJ-S
2001 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Underhood pic of fuel pumps and carbs with larger air cleaner and manifold typical of late TD/C cars

Attachments:
6ede0d266edc4a2f959b477fdc60e2ba (1).jpg (41.2 KB) –
6ede0d266edc4a2f959b477fdc60e2ba (1).jpg

Dan Craig
Missouri, USA   usa
1953 MG TD MkII "Margaret"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Michael"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "McGregor"
1986 Jaguar XJ-S
2001 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Mark II frame showing Andrex shock fitted to lower control arm.

Attachments:
margret 7-07 001.jpg (49.9 KB) –
margret 7-07 001.jpg

ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

Quote: I think Dave was standing in front of the car 'grinning smiley' The number is stamped on the left (when sitting in the seat) front dumb iron.

Naw, Dave was sitting in front of his computer late at night and got a bit dyslectic eye rolling smiley I can just hear the old drill Sargent now - YOUR OTHER LEFT DAMMIT!
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 11:19PM by ddubois.

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Josh S
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   usa

Ill have pics up soon. The more i see the more i am getting convinced that maybe the car was in bad shape and restored using regular TD parts
Josh S
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   usa

Here are some pics i took

It wont let me upload the Serial numbers because of the size of the picture but here is what it says

Car No TD/C 9569
EXL/NA
Engine NO XPAG/TD/LHX 9770

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
20130814_174746.jpg (17.9 KB) –
20130814_174746.jpg

20130814_174824.jpg (30.8 KB) –
20130814_174835.jpg (21.2 KB) –
20130814_175132.jpg (34.2 KB) –
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne Downey
1952 MG TD
1969 MG MGB

Says it's a good number and the engine number matches. Does the tag on the engine match the data plate?

http://www.tregister.org/search_prod.php

Type in TD/C9569 and you will see the build date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2013 07:14PM by LaVerne.
ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

The attached picture is the results of a search in the MGCC T Register Production Records. I would appear to be a bonafide TD MKII
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2013 10:01PM by ddubois.

Member Services:

Attachments:
TDC9569.JPG (24.6 KB) –
TDC9569.JPG

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG