Posted by OldBloke 
OldBloke Avatar
Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   usa
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"

This is the car I have known for 40+ years. Pal of mine now living on east coast has maintained this car very well. Gifted this car to his daughter here in town and as a young mother with small kids, a classic sports car isn't part of their lifestyle. Car is my idea of driver with minimal rust, intact interior with nice patina. Realize its a buyers market out there and this old gal needs to go to a nice home. Runs and drives well. PM if interested.

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 05:58PM by OldBloke.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
IMG_0051 (Large).JPG (43.1 KB) –
IMG_0051 (Large).JPG

IMG_0052 (Large).JPG (47 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0053 (Large).JPG (42.3 KB) –
IMG_0055 (Large).JPG (32.8 KB) –
IMG_0040 (Large).JPG (37 KB) –
IMG_0042 (Large).JPG (36.4 KB) –
Mr. Barry Avatar
Edward Wesson
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   usa

Nice car...Looks very good in pictures.Car looks to be very well cared for.
..I think we need more info, especially about the things we don't see, like the condition of the suspension, brakes, clutch, gearbox, etc.
A couple views of the undercarriage would be helpful...Any rust in the body?...What about the wood?...
Without more info, any price would be strictly speculation, IMHO.
Edward

"It's not a car....It's a CAREER!"
Paul J Avatar
Paul Jennings
Locust Grove, ok, USA   usa

I see the fuel lines have been modified and what is that battery cover? The carburetor air filters don't look original and modified valve cover. When I see things like this, I wonder how many other things are not original. Not that this is unusual on a 55 year old car, but a lot more specifications would be needed to price it. Matching numbers? (Engine, chassis, tub), rust, wood rot, gauges working properly? All high cost items to restore. My advice is to get someone local with very good knowledge of TFs to physically look at the car. JMHO. PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 06:16AM by Paul J.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith
San Rafael, California, USA   usa
1950 MG Y-Type Saloon "MG YA"
1955 MG TF "MG TF/B PickUp"

Jim, I am in San Rafael and would love to come see the car. I can help with establishing what's original and what's not, as well. Feel free to give me a call. Ken @ 415-699-3549
kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith

Jim, et al,

I spent about 30 minutes inspecting this car today and it is a very nice, fairly original example. There are some modifications, but most are minor and reflect a varied history of building, rebuilding, refininge a race version and then returning it to a street car. It has traversed the US at least 3 times. For a daily driver, it is in very good to excellent minus condition.

No rust that I could find except some surface rust on the metal panel edges that capture the wood frame under the door sills. Very minor rust.
Paint is an 8.5 due to some chipping and scuffing normal to a daily driver. There is a one inch diameter area on the driver' front fender that has been dabbed with touch up paint and some chipped paint around the driver's door. Both door sills have chipped areas not visible when the doors are open.
No dented panels.
Panel fit is very nice with the exception of some minor gap differences between the rear wings and rear splash apron; 1/2" gap on left, less than 1/8" on the right. No fuel tank end covers.
Engine starts immediately, sounds great with no smoking, dripping or laboring. Clean and tidy engine compartment except for a minor oil leak at the bottom of the side cover plate. The engine displacement was increased to around 1500cc. It is a matching numbers car.
Modified MGA style pancake aircleaners. Unique cast aluminum, ribbed battery cover/hold down with MG Octagon logo at top. After market electric fuel pump mounted near fuel tank.
Fuel routing block mounted to fire wall bulkhead. Newish exhaust.
Chrome wire wheels with fairly new tires.
There is a front anti sway bar mounted.
There is evidence of and the current owner concurs that the tub frame was repaired/replaced when the car was painted. The exposed wood under the car is excellent.
Interior has tan seats and custom taupe grey colored quality carpet. Custom transmission tunnel mouned heater box with blower switch. Dash in very good condition as are the gauges.
Top and side curtains are old and faded but still serviceable for a couple more seasons. Side curtain storage is under a seat matching vinyl covered lidded shallow area behind the seats.
Amoco style crylic wind wings are mounted to the windshield pillars.
There is a trailer hitch mounted for a tiny luggage trailer used by the current owner's father on his cross country excursions.

Overall I would give the car an 8.5 out of 10 for a daily driver. A new owner would only need to do have some minor paint touch-up, new top and side curtains, an afternoon of wrenching to have
a club show quality car.

With one owner for 40 years, a mechanic, the car has had an active driving and racing life, but has evidence of excellent care. Though I only intended to give an appraisal of the car's condition and originality, I made an offer that is under consideration. I think it is safe to say that the current owner is aware of the market will, justifiably, get a reasonably good figure for this car.

Sorry, I forgot to take my camera, so no photos.

Cheers, Ken.
miatadon Avatar
Don Scott
Calistoga, California, USA   usa

Ken,
Good luck on the purchase! You will have to buy another house with a larger garage though to keep all your MGs out of the weather.
OldBloke Avatar
Jim Legg
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"

Still Available. PM for number or question.

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

You have a PM.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon.Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
wyatt Avatar
Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ata

...it's a nice one but I'm holdin out fer LaVernes...I'm hopein his wife's gonna leave him fer me....cuz I got more hair........smoking smiley
OldBloke Avatar
Jim Legg
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"

In reply to # 1959947 by wyatt ...it's a nice one but I'm holdin out fer LaVernes...I'm hopein his wife's gonna leave him fer me....cuz I got more hair........smoking smiley

Yeah Wyatt, get in line...although with the 5-speed and supercharger in his not sure me old reflexes...etc, etc.!

kenzmyth47 Avatar
Ken Smith

Not For Sale-

I bought this very nice TF today! Drove from Napa to San Rafael with no issues. Car runs great, tracks great, shifts well, performs excellently for a T-series car and looks goo, too.

Cheers,

Ken
OldBloke Avatar
Jim Legg
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"

Got a call from Carla today, Ken. Said ya bought her. Keep us posted. Do you interact with NOBBC or ESCA or MGOC? Luck to ya mate!

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG