1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
Poll
26 votes were received.
Voting ends at 2018-03-07 03:29 PM.
All visitors can vote.
What tires are you racing on this season?

Has anyone checked with SVRA regarding the Toyo R888 in 205 55 14 for the MGB? SInce the Nitto and the RA1's are out, we're down to the R888 or the Hoosier. My budget only allows 1 set for the year (or longer) so if I get the wrong tire, no SVRA races for me.

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
erickz Avatar
erickz Erick Zanner
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
1973 MG Midget "Midge"
1973 MG Midget MkII "Midge"
I have had very good success with Hoosiers but I am on 13" for my Spridget.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Always ran Hoosier and one set Goodyear Eagle, I think ???

Member Services:
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Hoosier Speedster for my MGA (15" wheels).

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John Hamilton Avatar
Laurel Hill, FL, USA   USA
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
I checked with Rick Parent at SVRA, he said the 205/55/14 Toyo R888 is approved. I should probably try the Hoosiers, but they're almost twice the price! How many weekends do you get out of a set?

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

HeathRacing Avatar
HeathRacing Silver Member Heath Racing
TN, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
1971 MG MGB GT
John,
We have R888 on both MGBs and really like them. I feel like you should be able to get 6-8 or more weekends out of them. We usually run the enduro and are still getting 6-8 weekends.
Stan Heath

saysprite Avatar
saysprite Darryl Saylor
Mt. Juliet, TN, USA   USA
1953 Austin-Healey 100 "Ole Blue"
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Smokey"
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite "Porky"
1970 MG Midget "Jack"    & more
20x8x13 R45 Hoosiers
215/530R13 S100 Hoosiers
P185/60ZR13 R7 Hoosiers

most of the time, it's black, round and hold air.

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Now running Avon ACB9's on both Courier and G4 and will probably switch over to new Hoosier TD's on both when present tires are worn out.
The Avons are terrific but they do not last long.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 07:39 AM by Michael Oritt.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Most shave the R888s to 3-4/32th, so i don't see the point in allowing it and not the NT-01. I can get R888s on a killer deal, as my old tire store partner works for a large tire wholesaler who handles Toyo, I see tons of the 205/60/13s in there all the time, they are used on 4 cylinder dirt cars. No one in town could shave them for me, so I never got a set. I like the NT-01, it is very predictable, and long lasting, it is also the sister tire to the R888, made in the same plant with the same exact rubber compound and sidewall construction but comes molded at about 4/32". I got to buy a set of tires soon and I voted above for the Nitto NT-01, most guys in the VDCA in MGBs already run this tire, and I seen quite a few long standing VRG members running this tire on MGBs as well. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't see myself racing outside of either of these two groups much. I don't agree with SVRA decision on this, but I will respect it, and if I race with the SVRA, I guess I will switch tires, but this would be a big reason for me not to race with them. I will says this ,Tony and both Rick have always been nothing but super nice to me, and I think highly of both of them. The way I see it is we don't need a bunch of sheriffing in vintage racing, yes a little bit for the outrageous stuff, but we don't need to be over governing vintage racing, it just runs folks off. Make the rules whatever you want, the same folks will still win.

Some of you remember R.T. Whitfield, he had the car Torsten now has for sale, or maybe has already sold, he ran R888s shaved and went pretty damn fast at Roebling, faster than anyone is now, but it was newer payment back then and all forms of racing were going faster then then they re now. However no disputing RT's quickness. Stan I guess you and Sterling are running the R888s at full tread. If running at full tread, I would like your feedback please sir, every time I ran full tread 7-8/32ths with RA-1s and Falken RT-615Ks they pushed in the middle of the corner like crazy, and NT-01 does not, for me anyway. Stan I seem to remember you guys running NT-01s in the past, correct me if I am wrong, how would you compare those two tires in the corners?

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 04:10 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Rick Starkweather Avatar
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Hap:

I agree with you on the Nittos versus the unshaved R888s. Much better feel and handling. But we will need to explicitly ask VDCA and VRG if they are NOT going to follow the SVA tire rules as they have done in the past.

Rick

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3678072 by Rick Starkweather Hap:

I agree with you on the Nittos versus the unshaved R888s. Much better feel and handling. But we will need to explicitly ask VDCA and VRG if they are NOT going to follow the SVA tire rules as they have done in the past.

Rick

I can't speak for the VRG, but Zappa and others have ran these tires for years on their MGB, in fact Zappa was the first guy I ever saw with them on a MGB at the Jefferson 500. Now the VDCA, you gotta know Mike, Doug, and the tech crowd, the only time you'll ever hear anything out of them, unless someone does something different stupid, like the Miatas showing upon a DOT slicks. The VDCA is not a fussy group, they are very smart in that way , one of the more laid backed, and friendly vintage groups in this country, they are smart enough to know to follow what their customers want, that's why they have full grid in our groups at their bigger races. On the Eastern side of the country, the two group attracting most of our cars to their events is the VRG, and VDCA, outside the SVRA Collier Cup.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
VRG's current (2017) tire rules are here:

http://vrgonline.org/rules/Rules_Regs/VRG_Tire_Rules_02012017.pdf

Best--Michael Oritt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 07:02 PM by Michael Oritt.

Captain Dave Avatar
Captain Dave Silver Member David Blakey
Clinton, TN, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Lil B"
At the Heacock Classic with SVRA in September at VIR, I specifically talked to Tony about the "SVRA Tire Rules". He told me repeatedly there would be no issues running either the NT 01 or the R888 in the future. Hoosier is a fantastic tire for many racers with larger commitments than my race team, but I do like the handling and performance of the NT 01. Likewise I have run the R888's and enjoy their performance too. Since Hoosier was the official tire of the SVRA perhaps they should give a significant discount to SVRA racers.

X2 on VDCA and VRG. Great people and organizations.

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3678263 by Captain Dave At the Heacock Classic with SVRA in September at VIR, I specifically talked to Tony about the "SVRA Tire Rules". He told me repeatedly there would be no issues running either the NT 01 or the R888 in the future. Hoosier is a fantastic tire for many racers with larger commitments than my race team, but I do like the handling and performance of the NT 01. Likewise I have run the R888's and enjoy their performance too. Since Hoosier was the official tire of the SVRA perhaps they should give a significant discount to SVRA racers.

X2 on VDCA and VRG. Great people and organizations.

Dave, I had pretty much been told the same thing, kinda like "no big deal" , but folks feel uneasy when they see one thing on the SVRA website and hear another thing from Tony, and/or Rick. They need to correct the website. If they had already done this, we wouldn't have this thread right now.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 05:51 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
Gulf MGB Avatar
Gulf MGB Kenny Williamson
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Flying Frigidaire"
1965 MG MGB "Gulf MGB"
If you look at the Jan 2018 SVRA Tire regulations, The Nitto NT-01's are still legal to run, just with the same tread depth at race completion statement...

https://svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SVRA_Tire_Regulations_1.18-1.pdf

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster