AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hans
Bandit Racing Avatar
Bandit Racing Donald Dickey
IL, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB Racecar "#99 BRG Vintage Racecar"
1965 MG MGB Racecar "#10 Huffaiker/ British Leyland"
Check your Hans or other neck devise. Some clubs (new 2018 rule) are inspecting for sticker expiration. Rules are for every 5 years they must be recertified. Mine was dated April of 2006 and was never inspected until I just sent it off. Prices are 25 bucks plus shipping if no defects are found. Lots of different vendors are SFI approved.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Which clubs?

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

JohnP Avatar
JohnP Gold Member John Prater
Huntsville, AL, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
SVRA. Check their web sight. Probably VDCA also since they follow their rules, I think.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Hopefully SVRA will agree with the 5-year rule. At VIR in September I was told that I had to get my NecksGen re-certified (it is dated Feb 2014). The tech inspector insisted that SFI ratings were only good for 2 years. (that rule applies to harness belts - SFI = 2 years, FIA = 5 years).

I printed out the relevant page from SFI & also from the NecksGen web page to bring with my log book.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/specs/Spec_38.1_031615.pdf (see item #2.7)

http://www.necksgen.com/recertifications/

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

LWade Lawrence W
Tampa, USA   USA
This is another example of a money grab IMO, just like the seat belt expiration concept. My question is how do seat belts or HANS devices 'expire' if they are not abused?

vagt6 Avatar
vagt6 Mark K. Brown
Charlottesville, VA, USA   USA
Lawrence, everything degrades. The HANS equipment certification and inspection is similar to OSHA regs for fall protection devices, seat belts, etc. IF the materials are exposed to the elements, or sit in the sun regularly, the sun's rays will degrade the material and eventually render is unsafe.

Parts age. Webbing degrades, including seat belts. There are specific, physical and visual inspection procedures that should be followed for all safety equipment. It's clearly outlined on the OSHA website for workplace safety equipment.

It's not a "money grab": $25 is a bargain for such a certified inspection.

LWade Lawrence W
Tampa, USA   USA
Mark, don't get me wrong. I'm 100% for safety, after all, we are doing this for fun.

The majority of us vintage racers, race a handful of times a year and our cars and race equipment are kept in doors when not in use. So I don't see the UV argument hold too much weight. However if we went along with this line of thought, when was it the last time that one has replaced their seat belts in there daily driver?

Bandit Racing Avatar
Bandit Racing Donald Dickey
IL, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB Racecar "#99 BRG Vintage Racecar"
1965 MG MGB Racecar "#10 Huffaiker/ British Leyland"
Add CVAR to that list.

Elva Bob Bob Lembcke
FL, USA   USA
2017 SCCA GCR doesn't/didn't require recert. However at Barber's last Aug. got dinged by tech on mine... Talked with Jim D. at track, said they'd do it for $25.00, send or bring by shop. Once home checked GCR + on-line fst track updates, failed to find anything about recert. required (wording same as before...might have changed, but I failed to find).

However, $25 bucks seemed reasonable to keep future/all happy, so sent it off to Downing Atlanta. Cost 20 bucks each way to ship...cert was 25, and they said all good, however my sliding teether was "dated" so that got replaced for another 40.... total cost was about $105 (plus a bit more for insurance), turn around was great, less than a week.

Understand some resellers provide the service at the track...don't believe there's any physical testing...all visual. Haven't seen any done at races I've attended, so shipping still a likely cost. (As a ME/PE with composite testing (including AE) in my background, I feel likely qualified to make those "looks"...as, I do with all systems on car.)

Rather doubt that VDCA will get that picky...they haven't blindly followed SVRA in past. (Think SVRA still does 2 yrs on belts, where most went back to 5 yrs. VDCA used to check condition as acceptable or not..not just a date tag)... However, you never know.

Personally, I hate the things. Can't turn head to see to side without getting jerked. Slips around under belts (different cars); not sure belts are tight enough to really work; have forgotten to cinch helmet more than once, (belted in with it on all feels secure....worse in closed cars, where had to remove helmet to crawl in/out thru the cage)... Biggest worry: I'll back into a barrier/wall/something unforgiving, and it will shear my neck when stuff hits the head rest and body keeps coming back... Haven't done that yet, but have that "strange" feeling where HANS tickles my neck; more likely backwards than running head on into something...

Yes, they do work in many cases and often do a great job. Like everything else, not fool proof.....sort of like exploding air bags on the street, when belts would do as well, yet all new cars now have them as dummies rather text than belt up to drive...

Ah well, it's a matter of the times in which we still race.... learn to live with all this.....and added cost.

Finally, even with re-certification, there is no guarantee against failure or injury; by mfgr., race organizer, or insurer...

Bob L.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 10:04 PM by Elva Bob.

Re: Hans
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
How about SNELL dating on Helmets. I was pretty unhappy when they said mine was no good and they handed me a loaner that was ??????? Well I hoped not COOTIE infested. ??????

saysprite Avatar
saysprite Darryl Saylor
Mt. Juliet, TN, USA   USA
1953 Austin-Healey 100 "Ole Blue"
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Smokey"
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite "Porky"
1970 MG Midget "Jack"    & more
The 2018 SCCA GCR doesn't have a date restriction.

pg. 72
"2 Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell sticker 2010 or later Special Application
SA2010/SAH2010, or SA2015/SAH2015, or by the SFI with a SFI Sticker SFI 31.1, or by
the FIA standard 8860-2004 or later, or British Standards Institute BS6658-85 type A/FR. Each
driver’s helmet shall be labeled with a minimum of the driver’s name. The use of a head and neck
restraint system that has been certified in accordance with SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-
2010 is required; an SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-2010 label must be properly affixed to
the device.
Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the driver or his or her representative to
the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph.) 916-331-
5073 (attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident should be included. Freon based total loss
helmet cooling systems are not allowed

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
From the SFI page (see link in reply #4):

Quote: 2.7 Effective January 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraint Systems shall be
inspected for recertification every five years after the date of original
certification. Product inspection, maintenance, and/or replacement
procedure is per individual manufacturer. Inspection must be done by the
original manufacturer only, and not their authorized resellers or dealers.
When a unit is determined by the manufacturer to be acceptable for
continued service and in compliance with the current version of the
specification, the original manufacturer shall place on the product a new SFI
38.1 conformance label marked with the inspection date.

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Neither VDCA nor VRG are checking as of the close of last season.

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
But VRG's rules do state:

Quote: 3.1.10. Head and neck restraints, such as the HANS device, NecksGen, or Safety Solutions, will be mandatory in 2016 and beyond.
Devices must meet SFI 38.1 and/or FIA 8858 standards.

So they could easily decide to check dates...

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Eric--

In response to a question posed by one lister earlier in the string I was merely reporting on what my experience has been. BTW I had my HANS inspected early last year when I first became aware of the issue and in addition to affixing the sticker the tether was replaced, so this is a non-issue for me.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster