AutoShrine Sponsor

erickz Avatar
erickz Erick Zanner
Columbus, Ohio, USA   USA
1973 MG Midget "Midge"
1973 MG Midget MkII "Midge"
Congrats Hap - hit the bid!
ez

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Thanks Erick.

Update, signed the intent to sell/buy agreement today. There was few extensions for closing that could make it last up to 150 days, most of the time put in by lawyer types, and broker to make sure enough time passes to get it all done. I told my broker, time for me to talk to the seller, she he-hawed a little b bit, but I assured her, price was not the issue it was the closing terms, we tweeked them a little bit, and we're good to go, next will be purchase agreement,and then the process starts. One of the first things is phase 1 environmental inspection, I know, I know it a car place, but I done this all before with the tire store where maybe a few hundred oil changes had been done, and it was way tougher to get thru that than this will be, because we don't work on cars, don't generate any real oil, don't have junk cars laying around, don't have anything with oil near any earth/dirt, so I don't anticipate any issue there. Guy would love to close in 60 days if we get past the inspection without any issues.

I guess it may take a week, or two to get the sales agreement done and then the clock starts ticking. I could literally be out of here by Christmas.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Congratulations - now you get to build your dream shop!!! Think about ways to make your work flow better - either by machine and bench placement, bench heights, storage space, lighting placement, etc... that wasn't ideal in your current shop. Start drawing your current shop and your new shop out on paper (to scale) and you'll get an idea of

I owned an HVAC company for 10-11 years. I'd recommend adding a "compressor room" aka an enclosed lean-to on the back corner of the building for your air compressor and a traditional air handler so you can have forced air A/C via a heat pump. This should handle all your heating and cooling needs down to about 40 degrees outside temp. Run duct along the back wall at ceiling height (12'?) Heated floors are expensive (cheap to run though) and they have an unusual side effect. For people who don't like being hot, having your feet warmer than the rest of your body makes some people feel ill. Sick to your stomach ill. I've personally installed around 1M feet of that tubing. Its great - and certainly has its place, but I don't think I'd want it in my shop. Either forced air or radiant heat produces more heat faster, and in the long run that can be less expensive for "total cost" throughout its lifetime.

A 2-post lift will be the easiest to utilize. Ramps get in the way for most repairs. If your concrete is flat enough, you can do alignments on the ground. Your concrete guy should be able to recommend a sealer that's non-flammable. I think a lot of guys use a linseed oil spray that you can add a non-slip additive to.

From my experience, the biggest hurdle you'll have is to separate home life from having customers randomly show up looking for help. Its up to you to develop that policy, implement it, and enforce it. winking smiley

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 07:50 AM by B-racer.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Hap, Congrats! I will be doing something similar when I retire in two years. My home shop is 24x36 with a loft for storage above the office/workshop on one end. 16 ft eave pole barn.Trolley doors to close off office/workshop. I'm going to add a two post lift. No pictures as I'm 1500 miles away in AZ.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Dumbest thing I ever did (2 shops ago) was put the compressor right in the shop. Had to wear shooter's muffs to work while it ran, or go outside each time it had to refill.

What a PITA.

Our last shop had an "outhouse" built just for the compressor. The new shop has a soundproofed separate compressor room under the stairs.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Re: phase converter. My other hobby is woodworking. I have an old Powermatic table saw. It came with a 5HP 3 phase motor and a phase converter. I have no problems running it in my home work shop off 'standard' 220V power.

Re: HVAC. I installed two Mini Split heat pumps (one for my 25' x 42' X 11' garage, the other for a 'bonus' room above the garage). They are very quiet and efficient. The main compressor is outside, inside is just a fan to distribute the cooled or warmed air. Here in North Carolina I need A/C more than heat - I suspect you'd be about the same in South Carolina. If temps drop below about 30F they are less efficient (but those temps are rare). They have electric heat as back up but since I am a hobbyist I don't usually need to heat the shop/garage if it is that cold. I don't run them every day but our electric bill has barely increased.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Attachments:
minisplit electrical supply.jpg    24.6 KB
minisplit electrical supply.jpg

minsplit 02.jpg    13.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Hap
If you get up to the Charlotte area I would be glad to give you a tour and discuss this is good and I would do this different. 32x40 cleat span shop area, 16x40 walk up attic storage with a monorail and electric hoist for storage. 15x40 open shed storage and 15x35 man room and office. I put the air compressor and waste oil tank under a small lean to roof out back.
John

Attachments:
A3BF6448-9459-4FCD-BC3F-120A9B67055B.jpeg    97.5 KB
A3BF6448-9459-4FCD-BC3F-120A9B67055B.jpeg

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
John thank you for the offer, if i get up your way, would love to come see your shop and see you. Also worth mentioning, I have known more that one guy to store a lot of heavy stuff in the trusses/rafters of their garage and that caused their roof to sag. For sure if one is going to do that, take that into mind when building.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Gave the truss supplier the weight requirement when I contracted with them. Just like the beam for the lifting monorail. When the engineer friend asked me how much I intended to lift I immediately said 800lbs, the weight of a Big Healey engine and trans which has been up there
John

Bankerdanny Avatar
Bankerdanny Daniel Palmer
Chicagoland, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1975 Honda MC CB550F
You can always go with propane or LP for heating purposes and use an above ground tank. That's pretty common in rural areas of Illinois, so I imagine it is also common in your area.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster