AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
A little over a year ago, a real estate guy came by my shop, ask me if I ever thought about selling my building. To be honest with you, I had thought if the property values did rise, and I could sell the shop, I could build a nice large garage in my backyard, but more or less it was just a daydream. Well the real estate guy told me if it were to be listed we should ask $XX, which was about twice what I thought it was worth, so needless to say he had my interest. I decided what the heck, let's list it, no harm can come from that. At first there was some interest, due to some development in the area, mostly speculators ahead of the common news looking to get in early, but while we had folks looking, no one made a offer. Over the last year we have gotten several to lookers, but none made a offer. Then about 3 weeks ago I got a offer, it was silly low, 30% under asking price, I told my broker, tell them thank you, but no, we are too far apart for me to counter, they came the next week with larger offer, still too low, again, thank you, but no. This week they made a offer now that made me pay attention, but what scares me is the logistics of moving the shop and what would I do in the interim while the new shop is being built. So I countered their offer, saying I would accept it with the condition I got 6 months after closing to move, or a higher price and I would be out in 30 days. Well they kind of shocked my by countering with the higher price and me being out of the building in 15 days. Now there is no way in hell I can move out of my shop in 15 days, but this is a offer I cannot refuse, as I am almost getting my asking price. Needless to say all this happen yesterday, a lot to absorb in one day, while I should be ecstatic, it all kinda scary, as it is a big change, but one I always dreamed of, having my work at my home.

I do have a 24x24 detached garage at the house, I raced out of it for many years, my plans to make it temporary work area, that has no more in it than needed to do my job, get one of those storage containers for storing the rest of the stuff, while the new garage is being built, if all goes to plan, maybe I would be in my new shop by spring to early summer next year. I also have Fred's shop to use if needed, and will use his mill and late as I figure out what to do with my 3 phase mill and lathe, either sell and buy 220 stuff, or look into phase converter for my current stuff. It will my first chance ever to lay out a new shop the way I wanted, and that is very exciting. My mind is racing about a 1000 mph right now, for a guy that avoids change, this is a lot of change for me. I know many of you have moved many times in your life, your business, your home, but I am the guy that has been living in the same house since I was 20 years old, and now in the same shop for 20 years, so this is all new to me. If and when I do this and move out of my current location, I will be the last of my family to do business in this area, dating back to 1920s, so almost 100 years of my family having businesses in this area.

Of course, nothing is in writing yet, well signed yet, but may soon be, I want to smoke it all over the weekend.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
chanson Avatar
chanson Silver Member C Hanson
South Florida, FL, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Good for you. Obviously, no one on this board can tell you what you should/shouldn't do. But I have often seen it be the case that fortune favors those willing to make a bold move.

Heck, if your business isn't regional, then why not make a really crazy move and head to Florida? Or Minnesota? Someone in your family had to begin that 100-year tradition. Why couldn't you start a new 100-year one?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
saysprite Avatar
saysprite Darryl Saylor
Mt. Juliet, TN, USA   USA
1953 Austin-Healey 100 "Ole Blue"
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Smokey"
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite "Porky"
1970 MG Midget "Jack"    & more
Congratulations Hap!

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, New Jersey, USA   USA
It has always amazed me of the power of a two letter word; No. Good luck.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3604912 by chanson Good for you. Obviously, no one on this board can tell you what you should/shouldn't do. But I have often seen it be the case that fortune favors those willing to make a bold move.

Heck, if your business isn't regional, then why not make a really crazy move and head to Florida? Or Minnesota? Someone in your family had to begin that 100-year tradition. Why couldn't you start a new 100-year one?

Thanks for the well wishes, but brother you couldn't make me move to Florida with a shotgun to my head, I'll leave that to the Northerners smiling smiley I live at the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, if I ever moved it would be only 50 miles, or so north into the mountains more. Add to that Greenville is a good place to live if you road race, very resourceful area for car guys, Road Atlanta 100 miles, CMP 140 miles, Roebling Road 240 miles, VIR 250 miles, sorry but Florida has no road race tracks that even remotely compare to these tracks. Spent a lot of time in Florida over the years for business, never had any desire to live there. I do like Midwest small towns, like little towns in Ohio and Michigan, that I have seen over the years racing in these areas, but I was there in the summer, or fall, even though Southerners get all giddy about snow, I have been in snowy areas like Buffalo in my life in the winter, I like the milder winters we have here. If I want snow, I just take a trip to West Yellowstone Montana and get my snowmobile fix on.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 07:27 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3604919 by saysprite Congratulations Hap!

Thanks Darryl.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Hap, when I bought my mill in 1999, I needed a phase converter for it. Never an issue with power or reliability.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Scaniasteve Silver Member Steve Heitzke
Boerne, TX, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget MkI "GP Race Car"
Hi Hap!

Sounds great, and good luck!!!

tdmoe Avatar
tdmoe Gold Member Ted M
Hayesville, NC, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
Hap,
Best of luck with whatever you decide. You are always welcome to relocate to Hayesville, NC. Not that far from Greenville. Mountain cruising in NW GA, E TN, and SW NC has got to be one of the best experiences.

Best regards,
Ted

Tri-County British Car Club
Young Harris, GA

hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
In reply to # 3604932 by Speedracer
Thanks for the well wishes, but brother you couldn't make me move to Florida with a shotgun to my head, I'll leave that to the Northerners smiling smiley I live at the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, if I ever moved it would be only 50 miles, or so north into the mountains more.

I agree with Hap. If I had a choice in the matter, I'd relocate to the Piedmont region of southwestern Virginia or the western Carolinas.

Bandit Racing Avatar
Bandit Racing Donald Dickey
Illinois, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB Racecar "#99 BRG Vintage Racecar"
1965 MG MGB Racecar "#10 Huffaiker/ British Leyland"
Hap

If you take your shop seriously then this is simply a business decision. Ask yourself what are my customers going to do when I can not take care of them for a certain period of time. Are they still going to be a customer or are they going elsewhere when you can not support them. Where am I at as far as health or retirement. Prepare a fact sheet with cost estimates and realistic dates for those tasks. What about local zoning for home businesses think sandblasting and painting. Is three phase power available in my residential area if I decide to grow the business. Is this value added to my homes future sale.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

wbacall Walter Bacall
Canyon Country, CA, USA   USA
Congratulations Hap. My wife and I went through a similar experience a couple of years ago and on the day we were scheduled to list we decided to cancell. I wish you all the luck.
Thank you for all you do for the LBC’s and their parents!
Walter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 02:49 PM by wbacall.

LmBoise Avatar
LmBoise Gold Member Louis Miller
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB "Trouble"
Congratulations Hap!! Just be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I would hate to see you go dark on the forum during the move. I always like reading your posts.

hsisodia Avatar
hsisodia Silver Member Hersh Sisodia
East Lansing, MI, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB MkII "Esmeralda"
2005 Mini Cooper
I say take the deal Hap! Logistics can be worked out, more so when fire lights the backside.

Cheers!
Hersh

Speedracer Avatar
Thanks, I am not going any where, I will still be here on a daily basis, most of my forum activity is from home anyway, early mornings.

Where I live is great for this transition, it not a subdivision, I got several guys on my street that do either work from their home, or have big time hobbies, one guys runs a construction business from his home, large building in backyard, another a paving a business, both of these guys have equipment and park it in their driveways, 2 serious, both of them have large shops and build race cars for others. I'll be the least extrusive one of the bunch, we don't work on cars, so no car lying around, I have no junk cars at my business, or home ever, everything stays in the building. I will climate controlled winter and summer, so closed doors, we don't make a lot of noise, air compressor , probably the most noise I make. The laws in my area are it is OK to have a home business as long as you don't impact the neighborhood negatively, and I for sure will not. We're still exploring types of building, my long time friend Kenneth, will be helping me build this, he has build $50 million buildings in his past, including a Crock Center (as in the McDonald's Crocks) , he got away from al that, now makes his living with rental property and does some smaller construction jobs, he wants to make new shop match the house, I like that idea. I'll be off the road a good 200 feet, with trees blocking the view, so you'll have try hard just to see the shop. I am going for a around 2500 feet, a lite smaller than what I have now, but better laid out, so less wasted space. Definitely going to have a lift and one that work on the race car as well street car and the truck, as I repair my own street cars as well. Dave I will investigate phase converters, I know there are several types, I know I don't want the kind my buddy Johnny has as they are very loud. Johnny is good example of home business, he has a transmission machine shop in his backyard, he sits on about 5 acres, and his building is atleast 10,000 square feet, so I will be nothing like him smiling smiley I've build this shop in my head a 100 times, with that said Iam quite sure I will ask you guys a bunch of questions as time goes on, infact I have some right now smiling smiley

Lighting: If I never see another fluorescent tube again, I will be a happy man smiling smiley I now use LED in smaller applications in the shop, got LED flood light in my blast cabinet,, LED work light on work benches, and at the porting table, I am very impressed with how much light these bad boy gives off. I would like to explore LED lighting for the entire shop, any experiences you guys can tell me about this would be a great help.

Car lift, something big enough to lift the F350, but low enough to get the race car on. Now I know a few guys who post lifts with swing arms (typical shop lift), then there are drive on with swing jacks, I had one of those at the Goodyear store for the alignment machine, or maybe just a drive on, I am Ok doing brake work with jack stands, or floor jack, I think I may have simple solution for a normal drive on lift , as for jacks that would raise the race car enough to remove the wheels.

Concrete sealer: I really don't want any type of fancy epoxy finish, more like a just a nice sealer to protect the new concrete, are some products better than others?

HVAC: In the shop right now the main work area is about 2000 square feet, the shop is insulated OK, the new shop will be well insulated. In the shop right now I have one of those wall unit whole house wall AC units (24,000 BTU), it does pretty good, yeah when it gets near a 100, it might get 85 in the shop, but that's still better than 100 smiling smiley I think in a well insulated shop it may do a even better job, the AC I have now cost less than $100 a month to run on electricity. At the shop now I have gas heat, one of those forced air boxes hung in the ceiling, I love gas heat, but I don't have gas here, so I'll have to figure out something else for heat. I could do a heat pump/ac unit, it would be a simple exposed duct job for sure. I am spoiled now with A/C now in the shop, I have found out the better work productivity offsets the not bad expense of AC in the shop.

Over hang on the front of the entire shop, about 10-12 feet, I think this would be nice, rain shelter coming in and out of the shop, provide shade to not heat up the metal garage doors, one of my most energy robbing things at my current shop. This would a nice, can put a picnic tables and some chairs out there, good place to take a break, and maybe eat lunch probably put the grill there as well.

Exposed electrical: typical in a industrial building, but also easy to make repairs, I'll have to run it all in conduit for code.

Tank-less water heater: I have one at the shop now, worked for about a year before it crapped out, anyone got one of these they like? I like the idea of them taking up less room and instant hot water. I would need hot water in bathroom, a sink in the shop for washing stuff, and maybe hot water hook up for a hose for washing, or pressure washing stuff.

There are sure going to be some bonuses in this for me. Right now I go to work about 10-10:30 AM, go home about 7-8 PM, I do this to avoid rush hour traffic, also I deal a lot with the West coast. So now I will start work earlier, and end earlier. Another thing right now, too often I say I will go work on the race car on a Sunday, but too often it's hard to drag my ass down to the shop on a Sunday, so now I think it will be easier as I just need to walk out of the house into the shop. Being at home will let me eat lunch more at the house, instead of going to restaurants, less expensive, but more important, easier to control what I eat, I am a good cook, so no issues there, I figure this will help me to eat healthier, which I try to do now, but sometimes difficult at restaurants. I like the idea of making my own lunch most days. I can lose the office in the house, I will have one in the new shop, so that frees up that room for something else, Trisha says it will be a formal dining room smiling smiley I for sure will do things to make it the new shop more of a man cave than my shop now, large screen TV, of course my stereo, love my music in the shop, it for sure will be a more of a social area than my shop now . Here's a biggie, privacy fence in area around the side and back of the shop with dog access to the house and shop, no more taking the dogs out at 5:30 AM, yeehaw smiling smiley

I would love to hear you guys ideas, what you did in your shop to tackle given things.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster