Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
Township of Washinghton, NJ, USA   USA
I'm trying to get a better pedal set up for heal-toe. This winter I adjusted the accelerator pedal so it and the brake pedal are level while under braking but I still can't roll my foot as easily as I would like to heal-toe. I can get it right like once every 5 or 6 attempts and I have to think too much while doing it.

A few years ago I bought a Paddy Hopkirk pedal but mine is a 1970 so the pedal wouldn't work. I sent it back so no longer have it to use as a template.

So my question to you all, what is your advice to modify the accelerator pedal to suit my needs. What are the critical reference points, measurements, materials, etc. is there an off the shelf item, DIY?

Advice / direction appreciated.

PS: I've spent time on Google but I think real world advice for something like this from experienced users is better than a picture.

Best regards and thanks in advance

Tim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
In my MGA it is not really heel & toe but more ball of big toe & right side of foot. I did add a home-made 'Paddy Hopkirk' pedal to make the accelerator pedal a little bigger then original postage stamp size pedal.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Google summitracing.com, enter gas pedal into the Summit search engine. There are many extensions available.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Lake Norman, NC, USA   USA
Tim,

I adapted a Paddy Pedal to my Spridget... be glad to send you a tracing of the pedal outline if you wish.

Anything that enlarges the pedal surface will be helpful. You can probably fab one up out of steel or aluminum stock and bolt it to the existing pedal.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

dcraddock43 Gold Member Dave Craddock
Redford (Detroit), Mi., USA   USA
Hmm,,, I thought the Paddy Hopkirk thottle pedal assist was a 12 lb boot ?? LOL.................
Dave

Member Services:
Preform Resources,Inc./Dave Craddock, MGB composite parts, body kits ,front and rear valances, stock and RV-8 bolt on hoods ,many spridget parts as well. composite parts that FIT! 313-533-2457 http://preformresources.com/ preres@sbcglobal.net
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Here is the large peddle I made. You can see the screws where I screwed it to the existing peddle. If you look close you can see the bend I made just below the bottom screws to make it more comfortable. I was concerned about the additional weight on the throttle return so I put an additional spring on the throttle linkage.

Attachments:
IMG_1426.JPG    26.3 KB
IMG_1426.JPG

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
Township of Washinghton, NJ, USA   USA
The Sparco Corsa pedal set that I ordered showed up today ($29 Amazon). I may have to work on forming it to match the bend of the pedals or machine a spacer or similar but I'm now at least half way there!

PS: it's made of mild steel so bending it to the same curve of the existing accelerator pedal should be easy if I want to go that way.

Attachments:
image.jpg    33.8 KB
image.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster