AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
I waited too long for this not to be right, I have done this exact piston with JE Pistons many times before, for going on 12 years now. JE pistons has managed to screw this up once about 10 years ago, and I like to have never got them to fix it, but now I know what wheel to grease to get things fixed there. Look at the photo, look at the piston dishes, then look at the head for reference, and tell me what you see wrong with the picture. eye rolling smiley

FWIW, the cylinder head, has nothing to do with this engine build, it was just a cleaned, stripped 1275 head that I had on the bench, and used it to lay beside the pistons to show the issue.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 01:46 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others

Attachments:
JEpistons-oops.jpg    39.2 KB
JEpistons-oops.jpg

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Domes don't match the combustion chambers...

Two of the pistons should be assymetrical to the other two...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3590794 by dickmoritz Domes don't match the combustion chambers...

Two of the pistons should be assymetrical to the other two...

Dick

Very good sir. Every time since they messed this up 10+ years ago, i go over this in great detail to my sales tech of the month at JE, write it all over the custom order sheet, but guess what eye rolling smiley I have dealt with JE now for at least 25 years. now, and of recent it has been a nightmare, and every time it seems to be the fault of the sales tech. It is very uncomfortable deal, because the sales techs at this point hate to hear form me, but they are the ones screwing up. I get the sens that when a tech screws up it is bad mark against them, may even cost them, so I seen more than one occasion when they try to sweep these deals under the rug to the point I ahve to go to their boss, which even more makes me the bad guy in their eyes.

Also I may add, that a few years ago I decided, screw JE, I was going to start dealing with Venolia, I did three orders with them, they screwed up two of them. which they had to be corrected.

Anyone care to share any of their custom piston nightmares?

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 06:18 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
You mean like when we ordered custom pistons for a TR6 and 10 weeks later 4 pistons showed up???
Then they took 4 weeks to fill the rest of the order, and charged us for (and shipped) 4 more pistons. I guess "6" isn't in their vocabulary???

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

atm92484 Avatar
atm92484 Andrew M
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
Order another set. Tell them to make it left handed. grinning smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3590909 by atm92484 Order another set. Tell them to make it left handed. grinning smiley

Actually that's exactly what I did on the set about 10 years ago. I could never get my rep/tech to do anything about this, , kept giving me the "upper management has to approve it" BS. I go to SEMA in Las Vegas, there is guy standing there in a suit at the JE-Carrrillo booth, he was the CEO of the company. I ask him if I can speak with him, I tell him about all this, he tells me was going to call it in right now, and get that fixed for me with the two replacement pistons, I ask him if he will make me a deal on 2 more, now I would have two full sets, he gets the other two made for me for like 125.00.at the same time.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
57 A Model Avatar
57 A Model Sam Seay
Titusville, Fla, USA   USA
Doesn't look like you can use 1 & 3. But I sure like the scheme.

The older I get, the faster I was.

vwmgman Jason D
Manlius, NY, USA   USA
Hap, if you have the CEO's name and number, give him a call. If he has any interest in the company and his customers, he'll make this right.

This is not good press for JE.

Speedracer Avatar
Jason, thanks I sent the picture above to the guys at JE yesterday , got a quick response from them , apologizing and telling me today they would get on to correcting this ASAP. I just did the same thing with the picture I did here, I sent this to Eric and Sam @ JE with the message, "guys can you see the issue here", needless to say that did, which was encouraging smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
Speedracer Avatar
Well I also posted this on JE's FB page, got a call a few minutes ago from big cheese @ JE there,going to send me a set of four made the opposite way, that will give me two whole sets, pins all accessories included and for free ASAP. I guess you can't ask for much more than that.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
... except for getting it right first time. The job is delayed by a supplier error. If this motor was supposed to be done in a short deadline, with bonus for early finish or penalty for late finish, someone would find themselves disappointed.

Speaks to the level of attention, or inattention, to detail SOMEONE at JE is exibiting

Not knocking JE- They make a good piston, i've used them in a couple engine's I've done. Someone there better start minding the store better. Except all the other custom manuacturers probably have the same issues

Speedracer Avatar
Greg, I think most of their problems is the buy out that happen a few years back, this group now owns a bunch of different companies including Carrillo. As you in the automotive industry well understand, a big company buys out a bunch of companies, and immediately, their stock holders want to see a profit, what is the easiest, quickest way to see a profit , lay off a shit load of people and now ask the remaining people to carry the entire load, less people doing twice the work, what could go wrong smiling smiley The manufacturing is done in Ohio, the sales and sales tech is still in CA, according to everyone I talked to in CA, the sales tech work force was seriously cut back. The product when right has always been excellent. My theory on a company like JE that I have a 20+ year involvement with is to give them every chance to correct it, and only if they can not, then end the relationship.

I always tell people there is a means to my madness, and today social media is a strong voice, so I blasted this out there in 4 places today that I knew it would get attention, it did, and I guess it worked. If anything social media made this happen quicker.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
JE shares a building with Wiseco. I believe there is a lot of sharing going on, and JE may be manufacturing several brands. I see the big problem as their system of sharing info between sales and production. Its likely a data issue where the sales guys aren't entering the "correct" part numbers (2 numbers for the set in your case) and the production/manufacturing guys are blind to the details. IE: low paid CNC operators. Clearly a management shift is taking place or you wouldn't have received such a quick response versus a couple years ago. Lets hope they have some good IT guys on site and a good "reward" system for innovation to make it easier to ship correct parts?

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3591696 by B-racer JE shares a building with Wiseco. I believe there is a lot of sharing going on, and JE may be manufacturing several brands. I see the big problem as their system of sharing info between sales and production. Its likely a data issue where the sales guys aren't entering the "correct" part numbers (2 numbers for the set in your case) and the production/manufacturing guys are blind to the details. IE: low paid CNC operators. Clearly a management shift is taking place or you wouldn't have received such a quick response versus a couple years ago. Lets hope they have some good IT guys on site and a good "reward" system for innovation to make it easier to ship correct parts?

Jeff, you are correct, JE and Weisco are owned by the same folks http://www.pmi-brands.com/ you'll also notice they own Diamond piston as well, then they own K1 rods, which seems strange as it is a Chinese made rod, oh well I guess there is good money in them as well, just doesn't match their other product line. I would will bet all three companies get mass produced products made in China, you know like a popular Honda, or SBC piston, chances are all the forging are made there too. The Chinese are perfectly capable of making fine stuff,ad it would not shock me that some of the rawer manufacturing is done there,then finished here. K1 rods used to claim their rods were forged in China and finished here, which was a little misleading, as all the was done here was final big end sizing, not much of a claim as for finishing here, nevertheless, when they made K1 MGB rods they seem to be, and work just fine, i know Dave was a fan of them.

The did own Carrillo rods too, but I think that got sold off, now you seem them listed as Carrillo-CP, which CP is a top of the line, state of art race piston like this CP piston shown (which this one is for a 1275), it has a 1" compression height

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:

Attachments:
cp-1.jpg    25.1 KB
cp-1.jpg

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
CP is about 18 miles from JE. Coincidence?

I'd bet every JE piston is a China product. You and I both know they make good castings and forgings. Made (machined) in USA.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links