MGExp

MG Motorsports Forum

Just finished this up, thought I would share.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

57 A Model Avatar
57 A Model Sam Seay
Titusville, Fla, USA   USA
Yep! That's it exactly!
PM sent

The older I get, the faster I was.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Mine is very similar to one pictured with the exception, expect my center bolt is adjustable, as the dimple can very in depth. On a side I despise safety wire, and try not to use it anywhere I can use Loctite, the deal is with safety wire is when it gets discarded, or come loose, and ruins race tires. You never want to race the weekend after a motorcycle race weekend, they leave that crap littered all over the paddock.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
57 A Model Avatar
57 A Model Sam Seay
Titusville, Fla, USA   USA
Hap I'm with you on Loctite. But in the late '50's early '60's Loctite was new, didn't perform as well and was not as widely used as it is now.
What Ian duplicated was just how the car was prepared in England when it was sent over here to run Sebring in '61.
Gorgeous restoration. Take a look.

The older I get, the faster I was.

Attachments:
document.jpg    60.6 KB
document.jpg

Speedracer Avatar
Yep, that is a gorgeous car.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
Hap

What volume does that oil pump push out /1000 rpm.

Looking for a way to use external pump on the C but bit wary of using the water pump pulley as a drive with the dubious quality of them nowadays. Also I still have to have alternator as the EFI system takes a fair bit of power with pumps.

The space on crank is taken up by damper and pickup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 03:19 AM by chormy.

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
L1030763 copy.JPG    41.4 KB
L1030763 copy.JPG

11412189_10152911321865754_5892485548908312054_n.jpg    44 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
L1030768.JPG    47.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Speedracer Avatar
Shaun, I have no idea off the top of my head, which right now is still getting my first cup of coffee downsmiling smiley I will say this way, more than we need, as you may already now, you slow the pump down to 50% of the rpm the engine is turning through pulley ratios, so the pump could make enough volume for way more engine than my 4 banger and your 6 banger and V8s for that matter. The you use a remote Peterson regulator, I dial my engines in to run 70 psi.

As for how to mount it, as you know on the MGB, there very little room between the steering rack and the harmonic balancer, now Prather runs a gear driven Johnson pump and drives it off the crank via a Gilmer pulley, but I liked Dave's set up with the v belt and the georotor pump better, so that's what we went with, this is my third time to do this set up, and I have 4 races under my belt now in my car with this set up, it's all good. I like the fact that we don't have a built in regulator in the pump. The FF TDC oil pumps have a long history in our racing, every Ford based formula car raced here, and many in the UK have used this style pump for decades, and I would say on every thing other than V8 SCCA cars this is the most popular pump every used in SCCA racing, so it nice to deal with Doug, as he knows our racing, and I don't have to sort through all the V8 stock car BS, and hype. How you drive the pump and from where depends on the room you have to work with, and I am not really familiar with that on your MGC, but if the question is can this pump handle your inline 6, yes all day long, it can produce way more volume that any of us need.

Shaun, here's a link for Doug at Fast Forward, http://fastforwardracingcomponents.com/ you could always call , or email him for more info. Now here the funny part, I can't tell you what a pump with built in regulator would cost, I am sure a little more, but retail on this external pump is less than a MGC oil pump rebuilt kit would cost here in the US, now the other expenses is all pulleys and bracketry, and oil pan mods to get it all to work, but it is very basic system. I have another friend who uses the same pump on his SCCA HP 1275 race engine. He was very familiar with FF TDC pump as he used their dry sump pumps for years on his dry sump 948s, almost everyone who use dry sumps here uses these pumps, you names them, they probably use this pump, for example all of Huffaker dry sump SCCA prod cars use these pumps as well. The end plate are cast, form there Doug makes whatever in the center you need, if it is dry sump then it could 2-5 stages, in our case it is just single stage external wet sump set up, which even here in vintage racing, no vintage rules don't allow it, I have seen several T series race engines with the TDC/FF external pump, I guess those engine have oiling issue as well.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 08:04 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Shaun, the TDC pump as shown on Hap's engine is available with a 30% longer Gerotor for more volume if needed. The external regulator is recommended so that you regulate filtered oil and avoid trash which has been known to stick internal regulators.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
coffeemung9920 Avatar
coffeemung9920 Gold Member James C
Inman, SC, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Miss Take"
1972 MG MGB "Bee 44"
1999 Ford F-150 Pickup 4WD
2010 Mini Cooper    & more
Where'd you get the plug wires and loom? I want a couple of sets of those. You got em, I buy em.

Jim

The problem with political jokes is that they too often get elected.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
James he already had them and they were in good shape, so we used them, but easy enough to duplicate. Go to local parts store buy the proper Accel for your application in a V8 universal set, cut 4 to the lengths you need, thaay comes with extra boots for the dizzy side, and tool to crimp them with, you'll have 4 left over, but you can make a spare set with it, minus the coil wire. I done this so many times with my race cars it is not even funny. As for wire looms, they are dime a dozen, many to choose from

Example of Accel red wire universal wire set
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-4041r/overview/

Spark plug wire looms, enough choices to make you dizzy smiling smiley
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Spark%20plug%20wire%20loom

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, Oregon, USA   USA
Hap, why such a huge side cover vent ?

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3590781 by tampaguy Hap, why such a huge side cover vent ?

Well I guess too much crankcase pressure relief is never a issue smiling smiley Jack, I have to admit, that's not my deal, I think folks have done this sort of thing for years, I actually think may have come from Prather, but I worked on two other MGB race engines that the same exact thing, one engine dating back to the 70s with Huffaker components. Who know it may have been in one the competition prep manual deals. On my personal race car, I use one of Basil's aluminum one piece side covers and a 90 degree 1/2" ID barbed fitting going to my breather tank and that has worked fine for me.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, Oregon, USA   USA
Hap can you suggest a proper way to vent my engine ? It has no provision for PCV valve on intake and Tappet cover tube is just connected to a rubber hose with end cut on angle to mimic a early road draft setup. Getting blow by around side covers and little around valve cover. My aftermarket aluminum valve cover has a vented cap installed. Any tips would be appreciated...Jack

Attachments:
image.jpeg    50.4 KB
image.jpeg

Speedracer Avatar
That will probably work fine like you have it, you could always dump the hose in into a breather catch can, you could even make one from a Marvin's Mystery oil can grinning smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:

Attachments:
biscuit92215-1.jpg    46.1 KB
biscuit92215-1.jpg

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, Oregon, USA   USA
Thanks Hap ! Sure wish my under hood looked like yours !

MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Hap, what is that red box immediately after your oil filter?

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster