MGExp

MG Motorsports Forum

Just finished this up, thought I would share.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Just finished this up, thought I would share some photos as we are crating it up to leave next week. I promise I will share details later, it has been a long week, long month for that matter. I see a few cold ones and some tacos in my very near future smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others

Attachments:
gelpiengine-6.jpg    60.7 KB
gelpiengine-6.jpg

gelpiengine-1.jpg    61.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
gelpiengine-4.jpg    53.2 KB
gelpiengine-5.jpg    53.8 KB
MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Looks very nice. No doubt another happy customer awaiting his new engine with much anticipation!!

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cubfloater Silver Member Jim Tice
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Very nice I hope to come by your shop someday. I used to go to Joe Nall in May for the big radio control airplane event in Woodruff but have switched over to MGs of late.

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Hi Hap

Nice piece of workmanship; some of the add-ons look quite interesting; looking forward to you sharing further detail.

Best Regards - GV

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
OK, got some more time now.

This has been a fun build, but the build that would never end, between JE Piston dropping the ball and f-ing up the piston order twice, which took up about 4 months to get straighten out, and then the dome piston race head the customer already had, which was really nice, and flowed a ton, cracking on the bench, wait for it, three times, twice after being welded, yeah hard to believe. So the customer decided we would build a flat top piston engine. That meant I need to make a new head for this engine, and since his intakes, has both a single DCOE and Twin HS6 intake ports match the square-ish intake port on this head, duplicating it was key, we made port throat templates from wood to match them to the new head. Here's a post I made about the head over on the MGB forum http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3571106

It has HS rocker arms, longer than stock Pauter rods with ARP Custom 625+ rod bolts, of course short compression height JE piston, we used .750" pins on this build. Acme lightened flat side steel crank, I was able to get down 3.5 pounds off of it. APT scatter pattern, quick ramp race cam, of course lots of work to get the rocker pedestal shimmed properly, and longer custom SB chromemoly push rods. I used a 18V block and 1326 pre smog head, aluminum back plate, with a trick steel flywheel and 2 disc clutch the customer already had, personally I think this is not needed, but the customer already owned and had his tranny set up for it. He also had a very nice external oil pump oil pan, it was damaged, but very repairable, so I repaired it, which included making it a new windage tray. It has the Fast Forward TDC single stage external oil pump, set up via Headley design, and all other normal race goodies. It is a little shy of 13 to 1 CR, and lift a little over .500", we were already dedicated to the lesser 1.5 HS rollers, due to the dome pistons, and the rockers were new, so we could have gotten a little more valve lift out of it with the flat tops and the 1.625 ratio, but that can always be done at a later date if desired. I am rebuilding the tricked out HS6s the customer already had, and that what he will run on the engine.

This engine is pretty much is what I would like to build for myself, but I currently have two stock rod length engines I have now, so that will have to wait, unless someone wants.one of my personal engines smiling smiley

It was a fun build, other than getting held up in JE piston hell, which seems to happen way too often these days, and then having to re-create a new race head in the 4th quarter of the build, it seemed like the engine build that would never end, so getting it into to a shipping crate ready to go out the door, was indeed a reason for celebration. smileys with beer
Was there any room to do more on this build, sure there is always room to do more, LOL smiling smiley It would be fun to do a build where we did custom thinned stemmed valves, maybe even in titanium, and go with a custom grind cam, I still think a cam near a Comptune HL12 grind in MGB can work well, it hass .366 lobe lift. Tapered beam, long rods say .350" longer, which can get the piston down to about 1.300". What I tried to do with this engine is to take an approach with this engine similar to what Aaron Kelly did with the Suarino SCCA 1275 engines, being a wider torque range, and less rpms, since most MGB vintage racers don't flirt with 8000 rpms anyway, might as well build it to what they do it with it and try to maximize that. Next for me on new builds will be getting back to the BWR component 1275 engine, which has all the goodies you could ever want, the rotating mass in that engine is incredibly light, even compared to your normal long rod, short piston billet crank engine, but here is the deal with all that stuff, at the end is may be good for 5% gain, so you are talking about maybe 6-7 HP if you are lucky for a good $5000 more money in parts, hard for most of us to justify in a sport where driver talent is all over the place and determined driving can make up for HP loss, but still, would be fun to build, so maybe I should start playing the lotto smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-28 04:25 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Bandit Racing Avatar
Bandit Racing Donald Dickey
Illinois, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB Racecar "#99 BRG Vintage Racecar"
1965 MG MGB Racecar "#10 Huffaiker/ British Leyland"
John Hamilton Avatar
Laurel Hill, FL, USA   USA
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
I like it, I just don't want to race against itdevil smiley

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3581945 by John Hamilton I like it, I just don't want to race against itdevil smiley

Ah, you would be fine, that's the thing about our racing, many times, we as drivers make up a good bit, and John you are a driver who gets the most out of what he has.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
57 A Model Avatar
57 A Model Sam Seay
Titusville, Fla, USA   USA
Hap, all your builds interest me all the way back to your LPHP build in 2014.
Did note something familiar on the spark plug side of the B engine. The freeze plug retainers.
Short story: Back when I was in Hi School I worked for a racer who supported his racing habit
by repairing sports cars in his 1 car garage at home. He had bought one (Number 44) of the 2 MG Twin Cam Coupes
sent over by BMC in 1961 to run Sebring 12 hr. They had push-rod motors. I started with him in '62 or '63
and was around that factory prepped block for years.
Along with many-many "attention to detail" things I saw was the 1/4" hex bars across the freeze plugs somewhat in the same manner you have.
Only difference is they were safety wired.
Thanks for posting the pics.
Keep 'em coming.
Sam

The older I get, the faster I was.

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
Please excuse my ignorance....but what is , what looks like a valve bank or pump where the alternator / generator would normally be ???? cheers

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3583376 by little G Please excuse my ignorance....but what is , what looks like a valve bank or pump where the alternator / generator would normally be ???? cheers

External oil pump- imagine a dry sump system that is missing the parts that make the sump dry. Used to relieve load on distributor/oil pump drive gear.

Most dry sumps have a 3 or 4 stage evacuation system,and a single pressure system. This configuration uses the single pressure pump pulling oil from the sump, rather than a swirl tank

Speedracer Avatar
Yep, to what Greg said, just oil pump outside the block , belt driven. The MGB has bastard gear angle and count, never inteneded for high rpm use, so they have a history of failing, the external oil pump takes this out of play. The Fast Forward TDC external oil pump is a geo-rotor design, so it you took it apart it wouldn't look a lot different than the stock MGB oil pump. It looks even smaller than normal, because David Headley has them make them without built in regulator, as they tend fluctuate pressure that way. I use inline screen filter coming from the pan to pump, then from the pump to the remote oil filter, then to Peterson regulator, then to the oil cooler, then back to the block. You have customize your oil pan for this set up, as the pick goes directly to fitting on the pan, then to pump via a hose. Several folks have done this some using different pumps, some pump are gear drive, some are geo-rotor, I struggled with this in the beginning, did my research and decided on geo-rotor, and doing things the way Dave did. With that said credit is due where it is due, this design is David Headley's, he sells all the pieces to make this happen, if interested, I am sure Dave can make this happen for you.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Yup! Thanx Hap!smoking smiley

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Speedracer Avatar
Thank you Dave thumbs up

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
Weekendhobbist Ian Prior
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Sam
This is what you have remembered from the
Engine from #44

cheers
Ian

Attachments:
Welch plug.jpg    50.9 KB
Welch plug.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster