Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

at the glen Avatar
at the glen Jim Acquilano
Bloomfield, NY, USA   USA
Looking forward to meeting him at the Toad.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Spitfire mgb Avatar
Spitfire mgb Christopher Seely
Franconia, New Hampshire, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1971 BMW 2002
A friend of mine has a nice midget that is completely ready to go. Beautiful car, I think it might be an old scca racer but I would have to look again. Black with a red roll bar. Its all ready to go to the track, I think he wants $7000 for it. It rides like it is on rails.

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3535337 by Avalon Motorsports
In reply to # 3535065 by larrym so, there ya go

- a dilettante with mountainous cash and no idea what he wants (except to go-fast-&-win)

sending guys like this info on our track-ready cars FS is a colossal waste of time,

as is trying to "educate" him about HP-vs-handling since he'd already learned about that in race-school, eh?

In reply to # 3528402 by Avalon Motorsports My worry is he has much more money than talent and keeps talking 600HP Corvette as his first race car.

Let's say after a good heart to heart over a beer he saw the light. Jeff is going to be a great addition to our group of racers!

Good to hear

On rare occasions I'm out in SoCal when VARA or SVRA West are running, I was flagging at such an event, and there was a novice running an ex IROC 2nd Gen Camaro. He would blast thru the back straight and front straight at Willow, then tiptoe around the rest of the track, inadvertently making the car about 3 Camaros wide. As part of his driving school, he was assigned to sit on a corner with me. I spent the best part of 3 sessions trying to show and tell him he's get faster faster staring with a D or E prod vintage car then going from his street car to a tube frame IROC car

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Greg, didn't I first meet you when you were flagging at Phoenix(PIR)?smoking smiley

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Avalon Motorsports Avatar
Avalon Motorsports Robby Bork
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe "The Bruiser"
In reply to # 3535524 by fast-MG.com Greg, didn't I first meet you when you were flagging at Phoenix(PIR)?smoking smiley

Dave, You say that to all the guys!!!!

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3535524 by fast-MG.com Greg, didn't I first meet you when you were flagging at Phoenix(PIR)?smoking smiley

Yes sir, that is correct. I started flagging in 1988, co-managed the Long beach MG Club Flag team from 1990-1995 when I decided working on the corner was more fun then the tower (Actually walked off the job on Sunday afternoon from a VARA event @ Willow springs where the flag team was ordered to pull a stupid high risk move to stop a race by the then president of VARA.) Continued to work turns @ PIR, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, LVIS, and Fontana until i moved to MI in 2004. My Avatar is is the taken on the chute between T6 and T8 in the old infield road course.

Concurrently was building the little green car. Ran it for a couple years in VARA and HSR West (Prior to SVRA consuming that organization), then pretty much stopped when I moved to MI. Tried to local flag team, not near as much fun as I had in SoCal, plus they do some things I feel unnecessarily put drivers and corner workers at risk. I figured I was not destined for happiness as a corner worker in MI. Today, I just do it when I am back in SoCal visiting my wife. and am starting to put the little green car back together,

I believe I came over to look at your front suspension during a lunch break. IIRC, you started your first session in E Prod, the next session they moved you to C/D Prod run group. You started from the back of the pack. I seem to recall you were passing the C/D cars like they were tied to a telephone pole, until a transmission failure put you on a trailer. Am i close? Or has my memory started to fail?

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Greg, memory is spot on.
Rob, that was your wife!devil smiley

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Avalon Motorsports Avatar
Avalon Motorsports Robby Bork
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe "The Bruiser"
In reply to # 3535651 by fast-MG.com Greg, memory is spot on.
Rob, that was your wife!devil smiley

That was my ex-wife. You can have that one! moon

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
Had a friend that was a car builder. Customer wanted a super hot car. He built him a pretty hot MGB but put in a rev limiter and set the carb stops to around 3/4 open and the guy had to drive his ass off, learning all the time. Builder got the car back to 'freshen' it up. Just opened the throttles all the way and added 1,000 rpm to the limiter. Driver was way faster at the beginning of the next season and complimented the builder on the great 'freshening', and the builder complimented the driver on his increased driving ability and everyone was happy all round - far more so than had the new car owner burned up an engine trying to learn, or bounced off the track with more power than skill.

The pocket book racer scares the hell out of me. When I was racing at Laguna in the early 80s, some Japanese businessmen showed up with a new (to him) McLaren sports racer (M6 or 8 or something, I no longer recall except that it had a hot SBC), and first set foot in the car at the practice - which was strangely poorly populated as I think the people that were in his group anted to see if he'd fall off the track (he did, about 3 times the first lap).

Glad your buddy fund a suitable car!

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Bill, I did the same thing with Fred when he started racing the MGB, no rev limiter, just advice to turn less rpms when first learning to race. At his first races, he mostly only turned 6000, and still almost beat everyone, even when starting from the back of the grid. By the time we we got serious with the motor he shifted at 7000 rpm, even though I told him he could go a bit more, bottom line he got it, he realized that turning the living shit of the motor is not guarantee on being fast, and the last time I check he is the last MGB 4 banger to break 1:30 at Summit Point. Of course then he went on to be the winningest single season racer in the SCCA MARRS series setting two track records in that season. Bottom line Fred gets it, and was the best rookie I ever worked with.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
The other thing a lot of guys don't get (but those who build their own motors are more likely to know) is that using maximum rpm at every shift and trying to run off and beat the next guy by a half a lap is a losing proposition.in terms of economics. beating them by a couple of car lengths (or whatever safe margin pleases you) is often far more forgiving of the machinery.

If I can go out and win (which can mean just beating someone about the same speed in a mixed class) by shifting at 6500, what would I be accomplishing by shifting at 7500 except using up the engine?

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

palmbeach04 Avatar
palmbeach04 bob kilpatrick
sarasota, fl, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
1959 MG MGA 1600
1959 MG MGA 1600
1962 MG MGB    & more
My car MAY be available for sale.Have held substantial deposit for over a year. Many wins in the N.E. several in Fl.
Have beaten a lot of Vettes with it!

Attachments:
048.JPG    54 KB
048.JPG

mg racer Gold Member Gary Rogers
Redding, CA, USA   USA
Curious as to what kind of response you received. I have a 1964 MG B, CSRG qualified with a new not hopped up engine, and excellent mechanicals, that is all ready for a new owner to put his own touch on it regarding paint and cosmetics. I have no idea of its value so would appreciate anything you could forward from your search.

Thanks,
Gary Rogers
Redding, Calif.

vintageracer66 Avatar
vintageracer66 Gil Jackson
Fayetteville, Georgia, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB Racecar
1975 MG MGB "The Project"
I'll weigh in. An MGB is now posted on BaT, and worth a peek.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-mgb-vintage-racer-car/

A front runner at any event, and aside from belts, is in ready to go condition. If you have any questions, send me a pm. if you know the car, comments are welcome, but I will remember trolls at the next track event...

moon

See you at the track!!!

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
I wonder how BAT might describe my car when it goes up for sale.

"Successfully campaigned"? I guess that depends on how one defines "successfully". I usually finish - at least some of the time - but nowhere near the front. drinking smiley

"The finish shows a patina from competition"? My car shows a "patina" all right - just the kind of patina that suggests the need for a new paint job.

I'll have to work on the copy.

My first house was under the 345KV power lines. The realtor wanted the first line of the ad to read: "charming ranch, lovely grounds". Nah, not my style. I wanted: "JUMBLE YOUR CHROMOSOMES! LIVE IN AN ELECTRIC FORCE FIELD!"

Highlight the unique location. I'm sure I would have gotten more money that way.

So for the car, maybe "The Rolling Chicane" should be the theme for my sale. I could mention all of the cars that have successfully passed me - two or even three times in a race. I have most of it on video.

Oh, I'm just day dreaming again. I'm sure that I'll have to pay 200 bucks to the auto wrecker to haul it away. smileys with beer

Nice car. Good luck with the sale. Expect it to heat up in the last 20 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-10 04:48 PM by Blueosprey90.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster