AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Avalon Motorsports Avatar
Avalon Motorsports Robby Bork
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe "The Bruiser"
A friend of mine is looking to get into Vintage racing. He has done Skippy school and has everything but an MG to race. What's out there?

Robby

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
57Coupe Avatar
57Coupe Andy Bloom
Grand River, Ohio, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "1957 Coupe"
at the glen Avatar
at the glen Jim Acquilano
Bloomfield, NY, USA   USA
Rob,

Being that I am moving in a different direction with racing. My MGB would be available, Dave Headley motor and spare among other spares. Good car for a beginner with the potential to turn good times. It will go faster than the 2:27 I turned at the Glen last time out, never came close to the redline as I was still breaking the engine in. Easily could run low 2:20's to high teens.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-05 08:06 PM by at the glen.

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
PM sent regarding the #733 MGA.

JohnP Avatar
JohnP Gold Member John Prater
Huntsville, Alabama, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
PM sent

Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3528147 by JohnP PM sent

John and Jim, I sent him your contacts. My worry is he has much more money than talent and keeps talking 600HP Corvette as his first race car.
I would rather discourage him than have him harm someone on the track angry smiley

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3528402 by Avalon Motorsports
In reply to # 3528147 by JohnP PM sent

John and Jim, I sent him your contacts. My worry is he has much more money than talent and keeps talking 600HP Corvette as his first race car.
I would rather discourage him than have him harm someone on the track angry smiley

Buying a big HP V8 for your first race car almost guarantees he would be fast on the straights, and slow in the corners. I know for me faster corner speeds is what does it for me. If I ever did switched form a prod car, it would have to be something that corners faster, like Sports 2000.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
at the glen Avatar
at the glen Jim Acquilano
Bloomfield, NY, USA   USA
One of the vintage groups that I run with is a mixed group of cars on the track at the same time. Nothing frustrates me more than having a corvette blow by me on the straights and then slow me down in the corners. It is best to start with low horsepower and learn how to race before moving up in horsepower.

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3528529 by at the glen One of the vintage groups that I run with is a mixed group of cars on the track at the same time. Nothing frustrates me more than having a corvette blow by me on the straights and then slow me down in the corners. It is best to start with low horsepower and learn how to race before moving up in horsepower.

I got that T shirt too smiling smiley Barry Perkins and myself raced for several years in the SEDIV SCCA events in the 80s, and back then they mostly grouped us with GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, and even at regionals with A Sports Racers . It was wild deal for sure for a EP prod driver, it ranged from frustrating like the slow V8s you spoke of to down right terrifying in having Paul Newman, and Jim Fitzgerald coming zooming past you in their Bob Sharp Turbo 300Zs. I can't remember if Barry ever had a coming together with a V8 car back then, but his father Norm, got clobbered by GT1 car in turn seven at Road Atlanta right in front of me, while he was leading me for the class win in the rain on the last lap, I won that race, only because of that, I would have gladly liked to see Norm win that day. Then I got broadsided in #9 at Roebling Road in a hardship morning warm-up, where we had to get permission to go out in, and were warned to play it safe. This big block ASR Corvette tried an idiot pass on the outside coming on to the front straight bouncing off the entire left side of the car. Yep, I pretty much hated racing with V8 guys, our cars just don't make for good track mates with those guys.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Bandit Racing Avatar
Bandit Racing Donald Dickey
Illinois, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB Racecar "#99 BRG Vintage Racecar"
1965 MG MGB Racecar "#10 Huffaiker/ British Leyland"
I agree to start with less HP and learn to drive. I did the same thing thinking I wanted to start in GT 1, 2 or 3 and then I called an old racer for advise. Start with a low power car he said and learn. I never have wanted to race big cars since.

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3528894 by Bandit Racing I agree to start with less HP and learn to drive. I did the same thing thinking I wanted to start in GT 1, 2 or 3 and then I called an old racer for advise. Start with a low power car he said and learn. I never have wanted to race big cars since.

Yep, yep, I worked with Red Bordner,and Steve (trying to remember Steve's last name) Red had raced V8 dirt Late Models earlier in life, and had a vintage road race NASCAR cup car, and Steve ran one of the fastest AP Corvettes in the country. Anyway they had a FP Midget I helped them with, and it by far was the car they liked to drive the best.

Also everyone remembers how good Dorsey Schroeder was driving Fords for Jack Roush in Trans Am, well Dorsey's first race car was a SCCA HP Fiat 850 smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
And the late great Ray Heppenstall, who many will recognize as a major motorsports figure and who conceived, built, and raced at LeMans and elsewhere the amazing Howmet Turbine car, chose as his final race car a Crosley Hot Shot, proving that you can have just as much fun making a slow car go as fast as it can... winking smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3528972 by Speedracer
In reply to # 3528894 by Bandit Racing I agree to start with less HP and learn to drive. I did the same thing thinking I wanted to start in GT 1, 2 or 3 and then I called an old racer for advise. Start with a low power car he said and learn. I never have wanted to race big cars since.

Yep, yep, I worked with Red Bordner,and Steve (trying to remember Steve's last name) Red had raced V8 dirt Late Models earlier in life, and had a vintage road race NASCAR cup car, and Steve ran one of the fastest AP Corvettes in the country. Anyway they had a FP Midget I helped them with, and it by far was the car they liked to drive the best.

Also everyone remembers how good Dorsey Schroeder was driving Fords for Jack Roush in Trans Am, well Dorsey's first race car was a SCCA HP Fiat 850 smiling smiley

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Looks like I may have hooked up new racer Jeff with John Prater, got my fingers crossed we may have a new MG racer!

larrym Avatar
larrym Larry M
near Sacramento, California, USA   USA
1968 Volkswagen 1600 "Manx"
so, there ya go

- a dilettante with mountainous cash and no idea what he wants (except to go-fast-&-win)

sending guys like this info on our track-ready cars FS is a colossal waste of time,

as is trying to "educate" him about HP-vs-handling since he'd already learned about that in race-school, eh?

In reply to # 3528402 by Avalon Motorsports My worry is he has much more money than talent and keeps talking 600HP Corvette as his first race car.

Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3535065 by larrym so, there ya go

- a dilettante with mountainous cash and no idea what he wants (except to go-fast-&-win)

sending guys like this info on our track-ready cars FS is a colossal waste of time,

as is trying to "educate" him about HP-vs-handling since he'd already learned about that in race-school, eh?

In reply to # 3528402 by Avalon Motorsports My worry is he has much more money than talent and keeps talking 600HP Corvette as his first race car.

Let's say after a good heart to heart over a beer he saw the light. Jeff is going to be a great addition to our group of racers!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster