AutoShrine Sponsor

skippymga Avatar
skippymga Gold Member Scott Brown
Redwood City, Northern California, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB "#9"
1966 MG MGB GT "Boo"
1973 MG MGB GT V8 "Tbd"    & more
First of all I need to thank Hap for making this happen. THANK YOU HAP! And to Eddie for his passion for MGs. As of yesterday, the #9 Huffaker MGB will be coming home to Huffaker Engineering and will soon be seen rattling cages on the West Coast tracks. Joe is beyond excited and Jim who was a big part of build doesn't know is coming back to their shop (going to surprise him). The decision to keep the car correct really started with Hap in his years of racing #9. When everybody else was cutting their cars up to lighten and updating suspension as the rules allowed, Hap kept the 9 car as is and beat them anyway with as I recall over 20 SCCA wins to his credit. #9 will be kept at the correct build spec but finding a vintage venue to race it is going to be interesting. The only change I see happening is to install a Vintage 31 seat and a new harness. Joe will go though the car, crack testing all the usual pieces, brakes, fuel systems etc... Very excited in California!

Member Services:
V31 Lightweight Aluminum Seats are built utilizing a state-of-the-art CAD/CAM system and production techniques that ensures the Vintage 31 seats are of the highest level of quality for your vintage racer or sports car. Proudly built in the USA.

Attachments:
#9 Huffakers.jpg    22.5 KB
#9 Huffakers.jpg

#9 Hap.JPG    40.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
#9 Eddie.JPG    44.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
The right home for a right proper race car. thumbs up I'd certainly expect the vintage groups to allow this historically important MG to race, just not in the same class as cars prepared to a much earlier standard. Perhaps with the MGBGT V-8s...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Especially if there's a guy named Huffaker Brown at the wheel!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-18 08:53 PM by Steve64B.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Scott, I'm tickled you are the one that ended up with #9, and it is going back home, that is exactly where it deserves to be. Hopefully Joe will think I did the car justice, even though the restoration is 7 years old now, Eddie could not have been a better caretaker of this car. He's thnking of getting another Midget, this time, a vintage race car, we'll see, he's somewhat on the fence if he will keep racing, or not, I told I'll save him a paddock spot at the Gold Cup smiling smiley

Once again Scott, congrats on your new toy, one I can tell you, for sure, is one well worth having thumbs up

One more pic for old time's sake, oh and I want a copy of the new Lerch picture when you all take it. Oh remind me to include a copy of the CSM magazine that the article was in, I got new ones stashed away, for just such a special occasion.

As Fred McConnell told me yesterday, "what a great story this car has", and returning home to Huffaker 33 years later is a great addition to this story. I can only hope for you, that this car brings you as much joy as it has me.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-18 06:39 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others

Attachments:
Pictures 078-1.JPG    27.4 KB
Pictures 078-1.JPG

skippymga Avatar
1957 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB "#9"
1966 MG MGB GT "Boo"
Thanks Hap. I'm sure Joe will be thrilled with your craftsmanship. He's seen all the photos and has already told me that you did a wonderful job on the restoration. This will be my first race car that I know I won't have to completely redo to make correct. If we get the car here in time for Monterey, it will be towed down on the Huffaker Healy dually along with the Jensen Healy. That will be a sight.

Member Services:
V31 Lightweight Aluminum Seats are built utilizing a state-of-the-art CAD/CAM system and production techniques that ensures the Vintage 31 seats are of the highest level of quality for your vintage racer or sports car. Proudly built in the USA.
TomBrooksuk Avatar
TomBrooksuk Tom Brooks
Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Scott,

Thats fantastic news! what an amazing car I'm very jealous!!

Best of luck with it I'm looking forward to all the reports of race wins smileys with beer

Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
skippymga Avatar
1957 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB "#9"
1966 MG MGB GT "Boo"
Thank you Tom... had to get B on the track for the 50th anniversary. thumbs up

Member Services:
Speedracer Avatar
Scott, well the spares starting trickling back here yesterday, Eddie made his first trip down, 3 sets, of wheels, a bunch of bumper, 2 trannys, he going to Knoxville to get the rest today, or tommorow and then get the rest here to me next week.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
skippymga Avatar
1957 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB "#9"
1966 MG MGB GT "Boo"
Excellent, thank you Hap. I just spoke with InterCity transport and this have confirmed that we will have the car for Monterey.

Member Services:
Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
A fabulous MGA racer, a fantastic MGB racer and an MGB_GT racer in the works… damm!!

skippymga Avatar
1957 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB "#9"
1966 MG MGB GT "Boo"
Thanks Steve... and to top it off my wife supports all this madness. This way she knows where I am all the time... thumbs up smiley

Member Services:
Bud Byrnes Avatar
Sherman Oaks, CA, USA   USA
Scott,

Congratulations to you Hap and everyone involved! It is good to see an original piece properly cared for and on the track. I look forward to seeing you bringing the #9 around.

Bud Byrnes 310.625.9578

albyrnes3@gmail.net

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 2124690 by skippymga to top it off my wife supports all this madness.

Yep, here too, my wife (and Fred) are the main reasons I'm back racing.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
In reply to # 2124690 by skippymga Thanks Steve... and to top it off my wife supports all this madness. This way she knows where I am all the time... thumbs up smiley

All those race cars and a supportive wife... stop rubbing it in!

Gofanu Avatar
Gofanu Fletcher Millmore
Titusville PA, USA   USA
What a great story all along!
Congrats to all.
And love Hap's singin' in the rain pic!
PS: Scott, you need that car in a hurry, send gas and Subway (no Sheetz out there) money, will be there in about 36 hours - can't bring spares though!

FRM

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links